how do i change ms word's spell check to check for british spelling?

If Office XP Word, go to Tools | Language | Set Language | scroll down to English (U.K.).

"The speller and proofing tools automatically use dictionaries of the selected language, if available."

I'm pretty sure you select what dictionaries to install when you install the program. That, or the standard install automatically defaults to U.S. English.

If you don't have a U.K. dictionary, try doing a custom install (add/remove) and see if there's an option to add it without having to do a complete re-install.

nope, doesn't work. if i choose brit and set it to default, it still spells checks in american english.

There must be something a bit dodgy about the bloody program, don't you think? ;)

Actually, I Googled it, and came up with nothing. You would expect it to work. My mail program does British spellcheck just fine. It can't be that uncommon. Have you looked for a British add-on dictionary that will integrate with MS Word?

Did you hit the "Default..." button in the Language box that comes up? You will have to select English(UK), then hit the default button to set it as the language to use, otherwise it will continue to check in US English.

EDIT: Whoops, it appears I can't read and you already did this. :eek:

thenerd said:
nope, doesn't work. if i choose brit and set it to default, it still spells checks in american english.

That just means you don't have the U.K. English dictionary installed. I did find a blurb that it's included with Office but is not the default install.

Back