How do I backup my system drive with Norton Ghost 14?

Moiee

Weaksauce
Ok I used this software to backup my system drive. It was 76gb total. I backed up the entire drive to an external 500gb usb hdd. However I want it so I can boot the image it has created and recover from this at any time. Did I do it correctly to be able to have it bootable?

Surely the computer cant boot from a image file if i set it to boot off the image that Ghost created? im confused as its put the image file on the external drive in a folder called "Norton Backups". The folder has two files inside it
which are
E_Drive001.v2i
MO-xxxxxx.sv2i

surely i cant boot and recover these two files if system crashed? or can it? Thought Windows only boots off a windows disc with all files structured on the disk a certain way... The two files it has created are in that Norton Backups folder too on the external drive. Is it bootable like this?
(Win Xp Pro system drive backup with a ASUS p5k mobo)

Hmm .. i always thought Norton Ghost worked like Acronis.
Im not familiar w/ Ghost but Assuming it does work similar ...

Dont you have a secured partition thats locked and hidden where the image is?

I know with acronis you can burn a emergency image to a CD (of the program)to boot from and restore the OS if for some reason you cant get into windows OR choose option in windows(from the program) to restore a partition from back up image.

AS far as i know, you can not boot from that image file.

In case you need to restore, you just run the program and tell it restore . It makes you reboot. (or boot from bootable CD)
it "should" copy the image OS drive and boot back into windows as it was when u last updated the image.

This is how Acronis works .. so im guessing Ghost works similar.
Should be an option somewhere to Burn a bootable disk ..

Find the ghost32.exe file, assuming it works like previous versions, and stick that on a BartPE disc. Whenever you boot from that disc, you can create and image and send it to another location, like a second drive, external drive, network drive, etc. If you need to recover, boot from the disc and load the image back to your system drive.

I think the actual Norton Ghost CD is a bootable cd and if you run it, it will put on a mini version of windows and you can install the image from that.

Back