How did you become a computer geek?

Being anti-social, probably. Working with computers was very relaxing for me, even at a young age.

The future will by run be faceless, anti-social dorks with Darth Vader stapplers and gamma ray glasses.

The future will by run be faceless, anti-social dorks with Darth Vader stapplers and gamma ray glasses.

Nope sorry.... The future will be built and maintained by them but as usual it will be runned by slick haired guys that look good, dress sharp and have lots of babes hanging around. (Yupp those MBA bastards... :D )

I started out with a Commodore Vic20 and have had several since. I started getting into overclocking and repair when I had a Pentium 166MMX with a Vodoo Blaster Banshee. I wanted to play Unreal a little faster so I started doing research. Fast forward a few years, got a job at Computer Rennissance as a tech, worked there for 3 years and now I work in IT for a large fabrication shop in New Orleans. Computers have never seemed to get old for me. I love troubleshooting an intermittent problem that will drive most folks crazy.I guess I am a geek.

An encounter after school with my childminder's husband's Commodore VIC-20. It was some 2D straight down the screen "racing" game. (Really all you were doing were dodging cars that weren't moving anywhere.) He soon got rid of that and got an Atari VCS. Atari Combat was amazing! I was a maximum of 9 (two decades ago!) at this point.

2 years pass. My best mates' dad has a sit-down Star Wars arcade machine in his cafe. We've moved house and the school suggested we get a computer. Acorn had done a deal with the BBC and the educational establishment in the UK. A BBC Micro was too expensive (£399.99) at the time! But an Acorn Electron wasn't (£199.99) so we got one of them.

All my mates had Spectrums or got Amstrad CPCs a little later. The Elk sucked for games (but it did have Elite!). Programmed loads on that.

Aged 15 I got a C64, which was much better than the Spectrums, but then the Amiga and the Atari ST took off. The C64 still works. Harder to program (peeking and poking made no sense to me at the time), and loads of games anyway. My programming interest wanes.

Aged 18, for university (doing a computing course) my parents bought a Packard Bell 286/12MHz w/ 1Meg of ram and 256K of video ram and 40Meg HD. I blew some of my student grant on a SoundBlaster 2.0 (8bit mono), joystick and speakers, but couldn't get the case off of the PC!!! Had to wait until Xmas the following year when I got the last complete PC system I ever purchased, a 486DX33 made by Dan.

That had a Cyrix 166+ put in it which led to my first case mod ('97 I think) - to drill holes in the case to get rid of the excess heat that was causing crashes - it worked too!

Since then it's been a new chip, case and mobo here and there. K6/2 300 (first oc'd PC), K6/2 433, Duron 800, Tbird1.4GHz, and that brings me bang up to date with the imminient purchase of a A64 3K+. Other systems I own: a PSOne (my housemate was addicted to Tomb Raider 3), and a GamePark32.

June of 2000 my dad brought home a HP from best buy, 733 mhz, 128 ram ,dvd rom,cd-rw,16mb nvidia vanta LT , and we loved it...oh and with windows 98 se

Mine started out with a friend that had a Vic20 and a Commodore64. Those were the shit back in the day. Around the same time I aqcuired a 286 with 640k RAM and NO hard drive! :D
Damn that was a lot of fun tinkering with that but there wasn't anything I could do with it as most of the components were soldered onto the board!

I made a hell of a jump after that in buying a badass 486DX2-66 with 16MB RAM when 8MB was considered a lot. 2MB VESA local bus video was the shizzle too! LOL

Back