How 'Destiny' Lost Support Of Its Biggest Fans

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are surprised by any of this, you obviously haven't played Destiny yet.

As E3 2015 wound down, an interview between Eurogamer and Luke Smith, Bungie's creative director on The Taken King, quickly derailed the game maker's momentum and turned Destiny's most supportive players against it. Just two days later, Bungie has inexplicably painted itself into a corner by dropping the ball for a second time.

I quit a bit before House of Wolves, but this attitude of eat the shit we give you and then thank us for it, it'll be a long time if ever that I go back.

Really reminds me of back in e3 05. PS3 $599 and Sony saying, we think people will be happy to work a second job to buy our console. Self serving smug shit

I play Destiny casually, so you wouldn't call me its biggest fan, but this is just insulting. I'm not planning to buy this expansion until it drops down to $20 or less, $40 for a bit of DLC that promises to be rather short (the base game is quite short and the two expansions are CRAZY short) is just insulting. Add this stupid Red Bull promotion and you have a product I'm not too interested in. Bungie are a bunch of jerks who I don't want to give my money to anymore.

I thought the game would be more Epic it tried to be Epic but when you get to the Game play outside the Tower it could of been better it wouldn't take much like better AI that isn't a Heat sinking missile if you make the wrong move. Stopped playing 7 months ago or more.

I play Destiny casually, so you wouldn't call me its biggest fan, but this is just insulting. I'm not planning to buy this expansion until it drops down to $20 or less, $40 for a bit of DLC that promises to be rather short (the base game is quite short and the two expansions are CRAZY short) is just insulting. Add this stupid Red Bull promotion and you have a product I'm not too interested in. Bungie are a bunch of jerks who I don't want to give my money to anymore.

Some content is exclusive to the collectors edition, for $80, which includes the base game and both previous expansions....So to get stuff they want people to repurchase a majority of content, and told us be happy we have the chance to be big enough fans to do so.....

Is it just me thinking that $40 for this content is absurd? Even $20 for the last two was really high for the content delivered. I probably wouldn't have gotten them if I hadn't gotten the season pass and in hindsight I shouldn't have gotten them at all.

Is it just me thinking that $40 for this content is absurd? Even $20 for the last two was really high for the content delivered. I probably wouldn't have gotten them if I hadn't gotten the season pass and in hindsight I shouldn't have gotten them at all.

Agreed. I myself got the season pass because I felt the game looked amazing and was really fun but then it declined quickly and the extra content felt lacking to me.

i honestly lost interest the second i learned they had dlc on the disc, and that they gutted the entire story.

$20 per expansion is fair however this is pretty bad, I do love the game and I have started playing it again, I do need to by the expansions as I installed the expansions on my wrong gamertag doh... but yeah its a bit greedy.

I'm pretty irked to be honest. From what I understand even those with expansion pass will have to pay $40. That to me is flatly unacceptable. I'm sorry but I doubt there is anything they could show me to make me "throw money at the screen". I've played MMO's for years that launched HUGE expansions that didn't cost $40. I seriously doubt Bungie is releasing anywhere near that amount of content...and "emotes" and "Shaders" can eat a bag of dicks.

I'm pretty much at the stage of I still enjoy the game, but if expansion pass doesn't get me any TTL content, I'll be done with the game. I have too many other good games I also enjoy to be fleeced for $40 for an expansion.

Crap is getting pretty asinine...

I loaded Up Arkham City couple weeks back on my PS3. Every-time I would launch the game it would harass me to enter a code for the day1 on disk catwoman DLC. Which I had and used the first time I played the game (code was missing from my case this time /shrug probably one time only).

You would think vendors would just patch everything in as a last hoorah or something.

I bet it will only get worse.

on topic...

While the guy had a point, someone might value the new emotes at the price they were selling but still... its hard to buy that when other stuff is included that you already bought. So either the stuff you previous bought is worth 0... or your are paying twice.

I dunno, to be entirely honest I've played MMO expansions that cost $30 that had more content in just the expansion than Destiny as a whole including all current content. The individual price of $20 for their DLC was already questionably high, it was tolerable to me due to the expansion pass bringing the price down where I feel is reasonable. I just have a hard time believing for a second that they are going to cram $40 worth of actual content in TTK and I say that as someone who enjoys the game and was looking forward to TTK.

I actually really liked playing Destiny....at first.

Since DAY ONE I haven't been able to stay in a match longer than 20 - 30 minutes without getting booted by 10,000 different error codes. I live in a large city (Vegas), I have an great internet connection (150Mbps), no problems on ANY other game. Happens on the Xbox One and PS4, when I'm at home, a friends house, it doesn't matter. I've posted videos of me being in the Tower for hours on end without another single player in sight. A year later, still no fixes, no one cares, they blame it all on the end user.

Not being able to stay connected eliminates any raid for me, all the new Prison of Elders content, weekly nightfall most of the time, etc. I have a 31 Hunter, 31 Titan and 31 Warlock and I've never done Vault of Glass or Crota's End either.

HoW launched and all you got was content that required running backwards through the same levels we've all played since launch. And new content that I cant stay connect to long enough to play.

Making matters worse? Bungie has its head so far up its own ass that they are the only people this excited about the shit they are shoveling. I laugh every time I listen to these guys describe the game:

https://youtu.be/qOzF4D6EdiY?t=3m30s

I quit a bit before House of Wolves, but this attitude of eat the shit we give you and then thank us for it, it'll be a long time if ever that I go back.

Really reminds me of back in e3 05. PS3 $599 and Sony saying, we think people will be happy to work a second job to buy our console. Self serving smug shit
i think people are willing to pay money for teh power if the games are there. If FF7 was real back then they would have sold.:p

Who the hell pays for 'emotes', wtf is a 'dance move' doing in a game?
And the sad thing is, he was right when he said 'people will throw money at the screen'. That's exactly what people do nowdays.

Destiny is a money grab and has been since day one when they delivered a half finished game and you had to buy full price 'expansion' packs to buy what was promised in the initial game.

Buy Witcher 3, a game from a publisher that respects fans, with 1/100th the budget of a big American AAA house but 10x the quality and passion.

I dunno, to be entirely honest I've played MMO expansions that cost $30 that had more content in just the expansion than Destiny as a whole including all current content.

This.

It's a absolute joke how little content there is and how often it is recycled in the base game let alone the paid expansions.

I knew this game was over the moment the loot cave became the most interesting thing.

Who the hell pays for 'emotes', wtf is a 'dance move' doing in a game?
And the sad thing is, he was right when he said 'people will throw money at the screen'. That's exactly what people do nowdays.

Destiny is a money grab and has been since day one when they delivered a half finished game and you had to buy full price 'expansion' packs to buy what was promised in the initial game.

Buy Witcher 3, a game from a publisher that respects fans, with 1/100th the budget of a big American AAA house but 10x the quality and passion.

This. What's more amazing is the people in the comments of the article trying to defend what Bungie is doing, either they're paid PR people or they're just plain fools.

So this is what Bungie has descended to, just another money grabbing gold digger. How the mighty have fallen.

I feel the same, first dlc was ok... this last one is a joke, pvp focused junk. After this neckbeard moron's comments, I'm not purchasing anymore bungie crap. Too many other things to enjoy my free time with. The gunplay in the game was very fun... the hamster wheel and really poor content updates was not... and who the hell would pay for dance/emote nonsense.

Lately, it really seems like the devs & pubs have been trying to put screws to their customers. I understand the whole deal about making money & all. The issue is that they may start seeing mass exoduses from these games due to customer relation abuse.

I didn't like the game much to begin with when it first came out. I didn't see what others saw in the game. Guess even the hardcore fans have been pushed away now.

I didn't like the game much to begin with when it first came out. I didn't see what others saw in the game. Guess even the hardcore fans have been pushed away now.

What I saw were two things. Some potential, it could have been a good story, and solid fun shooting gameplay. It's like playing Halo which has a special place in my heart (though 5 doesn't inspire confidence)

wow...didnt this game just come out in like December or something? I actually own it, got it on Amazon for $25 and just didnt care for it that much. didnt even know there were two DLC packs already AND an upcoming major expansion in less than a year...what a cash grab.

wow...didnt this game just come out in like December or something? I actually own it, got it on Amazon for $25 and just didnt care for it that much. didnt even know there were two DLC packs already AND an upcoming major expansion in less than a year...what a cash grab.

Few months before december actually. That said you are exaggerating a bit here. Releasing actual content for sale isn't a cash grab. That's called supporting the game and there is nothing wrong with that. TTK is a cash grab though because it is stupidly overpriced for fluff. TDB and HoW weren't cash grabs, they weren't amazing values or anything but they were generally worth their money. Creating and selling new content for a game is almost always a good thing. Things like emotes, shaders and other vanity shit however isn't "Content", that is bullshit.

Its called DOUCHEBAGS....they never fulfilled what they promised the game was..in turn became a crappy version of Borderlands with diff graphics.. THANK GOD IT WASNT ON XBOX or everyone would really be slammin the game Again Bunji GLAD you are off HALO..

Still think it's a great game with great game play mechanics, It's fun to raid, fun to kill, go through missions, weapons feel great and interface is slick. Loot and bounty systems are not so hot, but those flaws only start getting to you after you've more than got your moneys worth on the game.

But the amount of content in all the DLCs is embarrassing. For the most part literally just existing maps played through in reverse with the same enemies. I'm and more than happy with the amount of entertainment I got for my initial $60, but starting with the 1st DLC(and it looks like this one) it's clear they are trying to recoup their massive expenses and not actually provide value. So I'm out for now. It's a shame.

Its called DOUCHEBAGS....they never fulfilled what they promised the game was..in turn became a crappy version of Borderlands with diff graphics.. THANK GOD IT WASNT ON XBOX or everyone would really be slammin the game Again Bunji GLAD you are off HALO..

What the hell are you on about?

#calledit. I posted a month or so ago about how anti gamer bungie is being with destiny, of course back then people were calling me thick etc. and then this BS comes out, foresight is not some peoples strength.

except it is on xbox?

I paid and reserved the GHOST edition for PS4 I was so hyped for this game, went to Bungies community day and 2 months later, I refused to play the game and now it just collects dude.

Biggest dissapointment of my gaming career by far....

I paid and reserved the GHOST edition for PS4 I was so hyped for this game, went to Bungies community day and 2 months later, I refused to play the game and now it just collects dude.

Biggest dissapointment of my gaming career by far....

If you have a game that manages to collect dudes, you may have found the secret to marketing to females. :D

Back