How Deep Learning Can Paint Videos in the Style of Art’s Great Masters

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thanks to Instagram and Snapchat, adding filters to images and videos is pretty straight forward. But what if you could repaint your smartphone videos in the style of van Gogh’s “Starry Night” or Munch’s “The Scream”? A team of researchers from Germany’s University of Freiburg has made significant strides toward this goal using an approach to artificial intelligence called deep learning. The team developed a method that uses a deep neural network to extract a specific artistic style from a source painting, and then synthesizes this information with the content of a separate video. NVIDIA GPUs make it possible to crunch through this computationally intensive work with striking results.

GPU fashionista, you know... It's a thing now!

Deep learn the optimal algorithm to do anything and do it.

The upshot I guess is eventually nobody will need to think anymore, just listen and do.

The upshot I guess is eventually nobody will need to think anymore, just listen and do.

It is a different evolution of our species as we move forward. Remember, in the old days we tilled the soil by hand and now we have machines to do it. The first industrial revolution was all about individual productivity and coming to an end; the second industrial revolution is on its way and more focused on societal productivity which is a whole different topic. As we move forward, we will need to abstract further and further as a general society; but we will only need a few "experts" who understand fundamentals at a very deep level. Deep learning has the ability to solve problems in a way humans could not reasonably think of (e.g. luck).

I truly believe if we wish to rule the universe...it will because machines allowed us to do it and did it.

Reactions: retro
like this
It is a different evolution of our species as we move forward. Remember, in the old days we tilled the soil by hand and now we have machines to do it. The first industrial revolution was all about individual productivity and coming to an end; the second industrial revolution is on its way and more focused on societal productivity which is a whole different topic. As we move forward, we will need to abstract further and further as a general society; but we will only need a few "experts" who understand fundamentals at a very deep level. Deep learning has the ability to solve problems in a way humans could not reasonably think of (e.g. luck).

I truly believe if we wish to rule the universe...it will because machines allowed us to do it and did it.

It is an interesting topic. How the human species, and especially brains are constantly adapting. Going from "Jack of all trades" needed to survive before, to extremely specialized in a specific field to the point many could no longer survive on their own should living conditions change quickly. I feel "learning machines" will further push us along this line with less thinking needed overall.

For instance, even today, FMRI research is examining the effects of internet hyperlinks and smartphone/texting use on the brain and the results are most interesting. The brain's ability concentrate on a single subject is quantifying lessoned in general in the last generation of people as the brain is adapting to constant interruptions.

Curious to see how our brains may adapt to relying on machines to do the heavy thinking, and in turn what these machines may eventually think of the few people needed to develope and guide them.

Back