How Crytek Doomed Crysis 2 For the PC

Disappointing really, though I think it's more unfinished than doomed. I'd have gladly waited longer for the PC version to be more polished and up to par with what a PC version should be, but I'm sure when you're pushing for a simultaneous console/pc launch, you just take what you have and slap it out there and patch later. That's what PC gamers are used to now, right? :rolleyes: I downloaded the demo but I still haven't touched it.

I'm sure I'll pick it up when it's on mega-sale on steam, just like I just recently bought the Crysis pack during the holiday sale.. and that was for MWLL and not Crysis.

I didnt even play the game ill try it out and see really how bad it is but i didnt even like the start menu and there are no settings i like being able to adjust wat i want... Even if its all the same you still like knowing what you are changing and everything. I think its more of a controling thing. Gamers want to decide for them selfs what they want to turn up and down not a little oh hardcore-advanced or whatever the diffrent levels are. It seems to be a big issue but maybe once they see the sales go down and relize there game sucks perhaps they might change it. I dont understand, Make a amazing game=people buy it=more money. Make a shitty game=people dont buy it=less money.....

seems like they kinda screwed themselfs over too me... thats just my thought tho..

No idea how much Steam would keep of the sales.

I can't find it now, but there was a quote from Gabe stating that Valve's cut is about equal to what retail takes (30%), which would leave 70% for the developer and publisher, much larger than the cut left from the retail + distribution + production pie.

Einstein once said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Why game companies think they can keep making the same games with a different coat of story paint and sell them for $50-$60 every 1-2 years is beyond me.

If piracy is really such a big deal then obviously there is an issue w/ the supply side. Clearly demand is there. So supply a product at a price point people will buy. It's simple economics. Bitching endlessly about something produces exactly zero results.

I was considering buying this game to support the developer since the first game was pretty impressive to me, even though the coding was crappy and ran like sh*t on beefy hardware. But after seeing that it's just another console port, I'll do like the rest of the pc gaming community and take a pass on this.

I guess i'll be a little sound of reason.

I mean what did you expect from Crytek?

#1. They complained about PC Piracy for Crysis1, The PC Community is inundated with PC Piracy (numbers anywhere from 20% to 40% and even 90%) - it just is, anyone refuting this is just being blind. And the old excuse of "Piracy is on the console too" isn't worth the electrons its typed with. This is OUR community and we should be better than that.

#2. Lets talk about graphics, when Crysis came out it was one of those rare PC gems that really pushed the graphics envelope - even today it is a gold standard for PC gaming graphics. it was a showing of old school PC game innovation that id and epic used to exibit (and other great developers of the past) And how did the PC community React?

Shouts of -
its Unoptimized,
Runs horrible my super gaming system that i should be able to just turn it to Extreme for awesomeness
crytek doesn't know how to program
and on and on and on and on.

Maybe it was just newer pc gamers as i really think the old schoolers appreciated Crysis for what it was, which i guess is a sign that the PC gaming scene really has shifted.

Not to defend Crytek for its consolification of Crysis 2 but the PC gaming community (us, you, me) have to take some responsibilty for pushing pc developers in the direction we are going.
This is the most meaningful post in this whole thread.

Look, it's clear Crytek is in serious financial bandini, they want to release something and would rather have it as a console port without all the settings adjustments because they don't have the time or the money to do any of it. It's lame and they've basically thrown up their hands and have said they give up. Now they are just wrapping a burrito of excuses around why they can't.

Maybe it was just newer pc gamers as i really think the old schoolers appreciated Crysis for what it was, which i guess is a sign that the PC gaming scene really has shifted.

Don't be silly. My first PC game was Chopper Commando, and I appreciated Crysis for exactly what it was: a bloated tech demo.

Don't be silly. My first PC game was Chopper Commando, and I appreciated Crysis for exactly what it was: a bloated tech demo.

My fist PC game was Wolfenstien 3D. I appreciated Crysis for it's beauty and it's technical splendor. I really enjoyed the first half of the game. Once it went alien I didn't care for it much anymore. I finished it, but I wasn't enthralled with it anymore. Especially not the last part of it. the carrier stuff was clearly rushed. It looked terrible and ran worse.

When Crysis first came out, who could run the game on max settings? Hardly anyone.
Do you think that hurt that game in the beginning?
And what about polish? A console game, almost always ships more "polished" then the PC counterpart. Even now with the "connected console" this holds true. They can patch a console game and do. But not nearly as extensively as the PC game. I know the console is unified and therefore easier to fix, post release. If I was a company I would definitely favor unified hardware with a large installed user base.
Why is it because the PC version, almost always cost $10.00 or so less? II mean why give the PC gamer a break. They already get tons of free mods and such. And obviously have more disposable cash than the average console gamer. Just look at what they spend on their rigs. Really the PC gamer should pay $80.00 for the same game, due to these facts and the open ended nature of the platform. (Who makes money on the maps or mods? Seems like a doomed way of doing business, especailly as games get way more expensive to create.)
Then PC games "are" pirated more then the console counter parts. Do not combine the consoles together, because they are not.
The pirating is funny. You will spend goobs upon goobs of cash to built a bad to the bone rig (we are all guilty here). But then there are those people feel that they should get the software for free. Maybe the PC gaming model is ass backwards.
I like this. Let the AMDs, Intel (intergrated graphic solutions) and NVIDIAs sell the hardware at a loss. Just in the way that M$ and $ONYdo with thier consoles. Then they get a cut of every game made for the PC. Then they can all get together and come up with a unified language. (ala DX) And then they could release games that run on day one, (not on day 10, post patch 1) and then we would be happier.

So Advanced setting due what exactly. All versions should have the same settings. Especially in the Mulitplayer versions. Not changing the FOV, or turning of shadows and distance fog for a unfair advantage. (You know who you are.)
If your rig can not handle the heat, throw it out the window. Or buy a console. If the money was in the PC, which I wish it was, then the industry would be moving down the console path.
Yup the PC can handle more of everything, except overall accessibility.
So why do we need a game like the first Crysis again? Another game that relatively few can run at full settings now.
Does everyone have DX11 cards? What percent do own these cards? Should they worry about day one DX11, or more about getting the game into as many hands as possible?:eek:

Look, it's clear Crytek is in serious financial bandini, they want to release something and would rather have it as a console port without all the settings adjustments because they don't have the time or the money to do any of it. It's lame and they've basically thrown up their hands and have said they give up. Now they are just wrapping a burrito of excuses around why they can't.

Yup. They stopped doing 85% charity, and went for full profitablity with this one...:eek:

My fist PC game was Wolfenstien 3D. I appreciated Crysis for it's beauty and it's technical splendor. I really enjoyed the first half of the game. Once it went alien I didn't care for it much anymore. I finished it, but I wasn't enthralled with it anymore. Especially not the last part of it. the carrier stuff was clearly rushed. It looked terrible and ran worse.

I wouldn't argue against its beauty and technical innovation one bit, either; Crytek's custom EdgeAA implementation was a masterstroke of optimizing for IQ and performance at once. I, too, fell out of love with it during the Alien bits--I wasn't very impressed with the weightless section from a gameplay viewpoint, and shooting the spasmodic aliens in the following winter level didn't do much for me either. I totally agree about the Carrier levels: it was shocking to see how such a small area could be so poorly optimized.

I admit building an entirely new PC just to play Crysis. I did the same for Doom 3. Both were, in my view, industry-shifting tech demos. Yes, Doom 3 had some apparent depth to its storyline--but id wasn't banking on gamers spending $300 on a new GPU just to read the backstory.

Crytek has been been pushing out average games since the first FarCry.
I don't why people was expect anything more than another average game.

I'm halfway through the game and it's....average. I think our expectations were a little high to begin with. It's very difficult and time consuming to make two different version of the same game, since this was the first Crysis game on console, some shortcomings were bound to happen. The game is still entertaining though, but if you're looking for a game of all games type experience, this isn't it.

#1. They complained about PC Piracy for Crysis1, The PC Community is inundated with PC Piracy (numbers anywhere from 20% to 40% and even 90%)
So what you're saying is the numbers are meaningless because the margins for error are hilariously ginormous.

Not to defend Crytek for its consolification of Crysis 2 but the PC gaming community (us, you, me) have to take some responsibilty for pushing pc developers in the direction we are going.
I reject your attempt to assign blame on an entire community. As long as there's CD Projekt, Valve, independent developers, and other like-minded people who actually care about video games and dismiss Crytek's absurd claims, your opinion remains highly questionable.

Just like Crytek abandon the first Far Cry to Xbox they now did it in Crysis 2… They could at least release the game in DirectX 10… I’m sorry I purchased this game to say the least. WTF, I’d spend a lot of my on my rig at least $6500.00 on and currently run a EVGA 480 GTX SC and was planning to upgrade to 590 when they will be release on the 24th of this month.
Well I guess I save the money now (I was going to spend up to $800.00 for it) which will make my OLD LADY very happy!!!
Just like AMD who was made and supported by Nvidia’s they showed the appreciation by purchasing ATI and now they are both losing money…
ALL I CAN SAY FOR CRYTEK THANKS BUT NO THANKS!!! THIS IS THE LAST CRYTEK GAME I PURCHASE!!!
IF IT WEREN’T THE PC GAMER’S YOU WOULD BE IN THE PLACE YOU ARE NOW…

When Crysis first came out, who could run the game on max settings? Hardly anyone.
Do you think that hurt that game in the beginning?
And what about polish? A console game, almost always ships more "polished" then the PC counterpart. Even now with the "connected console" this holds true. They can patch a console game and do. But not nearly as extensively as the PC game. I know the console is unified and therefore easier to fix, post release. If I was a company I would definitely favor unified hardware with a large installed user base.
Why is it because the PC version, almost always cost $10.00 or so less? II mean why give the PC gamer a break. They already get tons of free mods and such. And obviously have more disposable cash than the average console gamer. Just look at what they spend on their rigs. Really the PC gamer should pay $80.00 for the same game, due to these facts and the open ended nature of the platform. (Who makes money on the maps or mods? Seems like a doomed way of doing business, especailly as games get way more expensive to create.)
Then PC games "are" pirated more then the console counter parts. Do not combine the consoles together, because they are not.
The pirating is funny. You will spend goobs upon goobs of cash to built a bad to the bone rig (we are all guilty here). But then there are those people feel that they should get the software for free. Maybe the PC gaming model is ass backwards.
I like this. Let the AMDs, Intel (intergrated graphic solutions) and NVIDIAs sell the hardware at a loss. Just in the way that M$ and $ONYdo with thier consoles. Then they get a cut of every game made for the PC. Then they can all get together and come up with a unified language. (ala DX) And then they could release games that run on day one, (not on day 10, post patch 1) and then we would be happier.

So Advanced setting due what exactly. All versions should have the same settings. Especially in the Mulitplayer versions. Not changing the FOV, or turning of shadows and distance fog for a unfair advantage. (You know who you are.)
If your rig can not handle the heat, throw it out the window. Or buy a console. If the money was in the PC, which I wish it was, then the industry would be moving down the console path.
Yup the PC can handle more of everything, except overall accessibility.
So why do we need a game like the first Crysis again? Another game that relatively few can run at full settings now.
Does everyone have DX11 cards? What percent do own these cards? Should they worry about day one DX11, or more about getting the game into as many hands as possible?:eek:
SoftOCP is that way >>>

Here's the letter I wrote to Crytek, at [email protected]:

After looking over the PC version of your newly released title Crysis 2, I just wanted to let you know how disappointed I am that you have obviously turned your back on the PC gaming market after Crysis 1. While I have no doubt that you will blame piracy for this game's imminent failure amongst the PC crowd, much as you blamed poor sales of Crysis 1 on piracy, the real problem here is the obvious consolization of the title. I purchased Crysis and Crysis Warhead legally through Steam, without ever even playing or seeing the games, based on the amazing graphics and atmosphere the original touted and everyone raved about. Needless to say, the complete and utter removal of all graphics customization, the lack of X64 and DX11 support out of the box, and the dumbing down of the engine for consoles has greatly turned me off from your titles in the future.

Please read this, as it sums up my feelings exactly: http://www.dasreviews.com/das-latest-greatest/crytek-doomed-crysis-2s-pc-version/

While I realize that companies exist to make money and the console market is probably more lucrative, I feel like you have turned your backs on the people who made Crytek relevant, the PC gamers.

While I realize that they probably will just delete this and not give any response, if you are as disappointed as I am with their direction in development I would highly suggest you write them and let them know. Also, don't buy the game. Feel free to use my letter if you wish.

[cont.]
Furthermore, developers can still make good games whether there is piracy or not. Piracy is not an excuse to crank out lazy, uninspired crap. Crytek has been beating that horse to death, and they're looking more and more like lunatics with every press release.

You can't blame piracy for bad sales if your game is crap. Make a great game that doesn't sell and maybe you have a platform.

I have the game, only played about 20 minutes and can say it's definitely a step up from original Crysis and both Far Cry games. Seems they did pour a lot into improving it and it is REALLY optimized to run on today's systems with reasonable graphics cards...

I think they did a good job, and I'm guessing it will only get better as the 64-bit & DX11 patches start to make their way out... I was a bit worried it would be like original Crysis which was beautiful but punished my $600 GPU and didn't give me max resolution... I was surprised to see an overall better game graphically and not be as demanding as the original.

good job Crytek - I'm a PC gamer all the way - but can't argue with the consoles first mentality, they are doing it for a profit you know?

What was so great about Crysis anyways? From all the reviews I read it was like a supermodel. Eye candy with no substance.

<rant>

I remember when Unreal Tournament came out; not the most visually awing piece of work with low polygon count compared to Quake 3 and still based on a dying GLIDE engine but who cared? Fragging in this game and the smack talk along with awesome techno music drove the game from wall-to-wall of pure kick ass. Even the shock rifle wasn't as pin-point accurate like the rail gun. Translocator FTMFW. Very loose gameplay. Why can't people innovate like they used to?

OH WAIT because everything became an eye-fuck and greedy companies decided milking mods was the best way get money on a base engine.

Remember those times during Quake 2 engine was IT? Action Quake, CTF, Freeze Tag, day of defeat, Rocket arena, Team Fortress, Counter Strike, and all mods on the Quake 2 Engine were FREE????? Made by the community, played by the community. ALL BASED ON A QUAKE 2 ENGINE.

Why did they start charging for DEATHMATCH mods? Half-Life Deathmatch now has to be purchased separately from the original game on steam?? Are you fucking joking? Didn't half-life originally come with Deathmatch played over TCP/IP?? I don't understand why Sony got all the flack about taking away OtherOS when Valve did the same shit.

Now Crysis 2 is removing moddable crap from their game? It's like the 90s was a rennaisance period for games and the 21st century became a closed minded eye-fuck fest. I've always been a PC gamer my whole life. I started with loading games from a 5.25" floppy disk loading up Loderunner or Karateka. But it seems like the gap between PC gaming that set it so far apart from consoles is closing watering down games on both sides of the map. Consoles had their place in platforming and games that are best played on a controller; PC games were left to mouse and keyboard. Now it's all about porting this to that, and that to this. Street Fighter 4 and Devil May Cry shows how fucking sloppy the gaming industry has gotten. The button to start a game in Street fighter 4 is still using the button scheme and colour from an xbox controller.

I know that this isn't the first time something has been ported over. But even when games were ported in the past, they at least made some attempt to get everything consistent to what hardware it was running on. Resident Evil 2 for PC, "PRESS ENTER TO START" omg control that makes sense! Final Fantasy 7: told you how to control your character using keyboard keys. Yes, they were ports, badly, but they were ported so that the game makes sense.

I've never held an Xbox controller in my life so setting keys on my PC game pad for devil may cry 4 and street fighter was a guess and test kind of thing. Could they not have labelled the commands to be HARD PUCH, MEDIUM PUNCH, LOW PUNCH???? No, I had to set the buttons to a red A or a green B button on the xbox controller in the initial controller setup THEN go into the game and assign buttons to commands. What a shit load of fuck. Took me a total of 10 minutes to guess and test everything just to set game keys. Why did the port have to turn this 5 second excercise into a fucking day project? I remember street fighter on super nintendo. 5 seconds, set up my buttons and started kicking ass. How fucking lazy do developers have to be to port something that makes sense.

Going back to my Example for Resident Evil 2 on PC: When you set buttons in the config screen before you enter the game, you can set all your graphics details and button layout WITH PROPER KEYBOARD KEYS.

Fuck console games, fuck PC games.

</rant>

I have it as well and think so far it is better than the first one, it seems more polished gameplay wise and I actually like the fact that with this one it's about just loading up a game and playing it to enjoy the story and gameplay versus tweaking an options panel all day trying to get my fps at a decent rate. If you are a major gear head who got the first one only to play with the settings (and there were a lot of people who did) then I can see why you're upset. I got both because I wanted to play a game... not show off my SLI rig. I like the game personally, and think the engine plays smoother and all around looks better in this one. I can see why some people don't like it and they are entitled to that dislike, but I for one think they did a great job streamlining it and having it run well across all platforms.

What was so great about Crysis anyways? From all the reviews I read it was like a supermodel. Eye candy with no substance.

<rant>

I remember when Unreal Tournament came out; not the most visually awing piece of work with low polygon count compared to Quake 3 and still based on a dying GLIDE engine but who cared? Fragging in this game and the smack talk along with awesome techno music drove the game from wall-to-wall of pure kick ass. Even the shock rifle wasn't as pin-point accurate like the rail gun. Translocator FTMFW. Very loose gameplay. Why can't people innovate like they used to?

OH WAIT because everything became an eye-fuck and greedy companies decided milking mods was the best way get money on a base engine.

Remember those times during Quake 2 engine was IT? Action Quake, CTF, Freeze Tag, day of defeat, Rocket arena, Team Fortress, Counter Strike, and all mods on the Quake 2 Engine were FREE????? Made by the community, played by the community. ALL BASED ON A QUAKE 2 ENGINE.

Why did they start charging for DEATHMATCH mods? Half-Life Deathmatch now has to be purchased separately from the original game on steam?? Are you fucking joking? Didn't half-life originally come with Deathmatch played over TCP/IP?? I don't understand why Sony got all the flack about taking away OtherOS when Valve did the same shit.

Now Crysis 2 is removing moddable crap from their game? It's like the 90s was a rennaisance period for games and the 21st century became a closed minded eye-fuck fest. I've always been a PC gamer my whole life. I started with loading games from a 5.25" floppy disk loading up Loderunner or Karateka. But it seems like the gap between PC gaming that set it so far apart from consoles is closing watering down games on both sides of the map. Consoles had their place in platforming and games that are best played on a controller; PC games were left to mouse and keyboard. Now it's all about porting this to that, and that to this. Street Fighter 4 and Devil May Cry shows how fucking sloppy the gaming industry has gotten. The button to start a game in Street fighter 4 is still using the button scheme and colour from an xbox controller.

I know that this isn't the first time something has been ported over. But even when games were ported in the past, they at least made some attempt to get everything consistent to what hardware it was running on. Resident Evil 2 for PC, "PRESS ENTER TO START" omg control that makes sense! Final Fantasy 7: told you how to control your character using keyboard keys. Yes, they were ports, badly, but they were ported so that the game makes sense.

I've never held an Xbox controller in my life so setting keys on my PC game pad for devil may cry 4 and street fighter was a guess and test kind of thing. Could they not have labelled the commands to be HARD PUCH, MEDIUM PUNCH, LOW PUNCH???? No, I had to set the buttons to a red A or a green B button on the xbox controller in the initial controller setup THEN go into the game and assign buttons to commands. What a shit load of fuck. Took me a total of 10 minutes to guess and test everything just to set game keys. Why did the port have to turn this 5 second excercise into a fucking day project? I remember street fighter on super nintendo. 5 seconds, set up my buttons and started kicking ass. How fucking lazy do developers have to be to port something that makes sense.

Going back to my Example for Resident Evil 2 on PC: When you set buttons in the config screen before you enter the game, you can set all your graphics details and button layout WITH PROPER KEYBOARD KEYS.

Fuck console games, fuck PC games.

</rant>

Now that is theshit. You hit it dead on man.
Fuck em all. Money grubbing motherfuckers.

I would just like to point out that this is incorrect. You can purchase HL:DM,HL:DMS, and HL2:DM separately, but you don't have to. They come included with HL and HL2 (and a bunch of other games apparently, steam says I have 4 extra copies to "gift" people). My guess is that you can purchase them separately if you just want to play DM and not the original game.

Everything else you said sounds good though.

I would just like to point out that this is incorrect. You can purchase HL:DM,HL:DMS, and HL2:DM separately, but you don't have to. They come included with HL and HL2 (and a bunch of other games apparently, steam says I have 4 extra copies to "gift" people). My guess is that you can purchase them separately if you just want to play DM and not the original game.

nice smileys

Now that is theshit. You hit it dead on man.
Fuck em all. Money grubbing motherfuckers.

Reading what I wrote again, I probably got that point about Sony and Valve wrong. Sony at least removed any hope of using other OS and maybe there was some "legit" reasons. It's more like if Sony STOPPED all movie play back on the blue ray drive AND THEN asked you to buy a dedicated drive just to play videos. How fucking pissed off would you be if this was the case for a SONY PS3???

I don't know how gamers can be ok with shit like this pulled off by Valve. Why aren't there any class action lawsuits about this kind of stuff and getting a refund for a part of a product they had?

ORLY?? My orange box didn't come with HL2 deathmatch... only multiplayer component was TF2.

That a company pumping millions in development costs (most on graphics/art assets) and making it PC exclusive is dooming your company to failure.

This nonsense is so tiring--here, get edumacated:

http://www.pcgamingalliance.org/imwp/download.asp?ContentID=19906

PC is a very, very strong gaming platform. Always has been, always will be. Crytek has done absolutely nothing except to get lazy in the development of this game, to dumb it down for the console audience--translation: Crytek has lost a boatload of money because of this decision. I mean, guy, just try telling Blizzard that PC exclusivity for SC2 has doomed Blizzard to failure...;)

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...blitz-a-success-sales-crush-console-games.ars

This nonsense is so tiring--here, get edumacated:

http://www.pcgamingalliance.org/imwp/download.asp?ContentID=19906

PC is a very, very strong gaming platform. Always has been, always will be. Crytek has done absolutely nothing except to get lazy in the development of this game, to dumb it down for the console audience--translation: Crytek has lost a boatload of money because of this decision. I mean, guy, just try telling Blizzard that PC exclusivity for SC2 has doomed Blizzard to failure...;)

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...blitz-a-success-sales-crush-console-games.ars

Guess what, Crytek isn't Blizzard. LOL at picking the market leader with a multi-million user following built up over years and then pointing to them when some other company puts games out on console. That's about as intellectually dishonest as you can get.

Sorry, consoles sell more games and not all companies are Blizzard. Crysis 2 will sell much better than Crysis 1. And from all accounts, it should as it's a better game (that's the part you do when you aren't tweaking settings and running benchmarks).

Has there been any bets on how long before Crytek releases a $10-20 multiplayer map pack DLC with 1 or 2 maps? Given how things are going it would probably end up a console exclusive too seeing as how they don't have a paid distribution method in place for PC.

Dunno about the orange box, by the time that came out I already had most of the games it includes.

What part of this supports you saying that I'm wrong that death match has to be purchased separately?

I know my copy of half life 2 did not come with deathmatch. I have to purchase this separately. There's my basis for making my claim.

What part of this supports you saying that I'm wrong that death match has to be purchased separately?

I know my copy of half life 2 did not come with deathmatch. I have to purchase this separately. There's my basis for making my claim.

I have 4 copies, and I never purchased it separately, so it either came with my purchase of HL, HL2, TF2, L4D, L4D2, CS, CSS, or Portal. Maybe you only get it if you purchase games off steam?

Back