How can you make a exe to make a bootable floppy disk?

I have a exe file i want to make it bootable on a floppy disk. So how do you do this?

What software?

Thanks

I have a exe file i want to make it bootable on a floppy disk. So how do you do this?

What software?

Thanks

I'll get back to you in a bit. I believe it has to do with a) batch file (.bat) and/or b) autoexec.bat file.

I'll take a look since I haven't done it in a long while. (In other words, years.)

What software?

Thanks

This is a very vague answer, so it's difficult to say exactly --

If your EXE is a Windows binary, then it isn't going to happen. You need to have at least a version of Windows PE to run a windows binary, and that isn't going to fit on a standard floppy drive. You could do a bootable USB drive with WinPE and put your Binary on it, and even get it to start as soon as the OS was fully booted.

If your EXE is a DOS executable, then you just need to make the disk bootable with the version of DOS you need. There are free versions of DOS that you could use, too, and they all have instructions on how to do what you're looking for. You'll basically run an installer and "install" the OS. If you have a bootable DOS machine already (maybe in a VM?) then you can use the SYS command to transfer the system files to the floppy drive and it will make it bootable.

Once you have a bootable flopy, just copy the file to the root of A: (or B:, or whatever you labeled your drive). After booting to the disk, just type the name of the executable at the A: prompt (again, the A;, B:, whatever) and the binary should start.

Back