How Can One Brace a Heavy Video Card?

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
I remember that before, and probably still, some manufacturers would add a spine running lengthwise to a video card, to help brace it and keep the PCB from flexing over time(at least I think that's why). I am going to be getting a T-Rad^2 soon, which I will be adding to my 6850. I also plan on adding copper ramsinks to it. In between all of this added weight, I am concerned about negative long-term effects.

Do you think the T-Rad^2 and copper ramsinks could cause flexing damage to a video card in the long-term?

If yes, do you have any ideas on how I could fortify my graphic card to keep it from flexing?

Thank you. :)

The simplest solution i have seen in a piece of acrylic tube braced between the bottom of the case and the end of the card.

Complex solutions could be a plexi or alum plate attached on top of the addition card slots and attached using longer screws. Hard to explain but essentially you'd be using more screws to hold the weight of the card. like a 4 slot card on top of any installed cards to distibute load.

I do not have a 6950 to use as an example, but i'm pretty sure they come with a completely separate backplate. I've seen pictures of people using the backplate with their waterblocks for support, same with the EVGA blackplates for the GTX cards. You shouldn't have a problem i don't think.

It's nice that i'm not the only person who hates a sagging video card.

assuming you have no other cards, a standard sized case and no PSU at the bottom a 92mm fan jams between the gfx card and the floor of the case perfectly, assuming it is also a dual slot cooler.

The T-Rad isn't a particularly heavy cooler, I wouldn't worry too much about it with your card. If it were something bigger like a Shaman I'd have more concerns.

Popsicle Sticks?

Or you could turn your motherboard so that the IO panel faces up:).
I'll be doing this in my next case.

Get that silverstone one where the IO plate is at the top of the case - no more problem!

The T-Rad isn't a particularly heavy cooler, I wouldn't worry too much about it with your card. If it were something bigger like a Shaman I'd have more concerns.

Does anyone else agree with this idea? I found out the T-Rad2 weights 360g without the two 92mm fans I will add, plus 45g for the 8 copper ramsinks.

Get that silverstone one where the IO plate is at the top of the case - no more problem!

This is not the place for me to ask this question, but how does the RV02 affect how heatpipe coolers work? I've heard, and would imagine that the liquid inside the pipes will no longer gravitate toward the right location.

Thank you for all your responses so far everyone. I think placing an object in between the bottom of the case and bottom of the GPU will be the easiest solution for now, and will probably do that if I don't rule out the RV02. That is one sweet case. :)

Does anyone else agree with this idea? I found out the T-Rad2 weights 360g without the two 92mm fans I will add, plus 45g for the 8 copper ramsinks.

The stock cooler on the HD4870X2 is 1.2kg. Didn't see any sagging with that.

This is not the place for me to ask this question, but how does the RV02 affect how heatpipe coolers work? I've heard, and would imagine that the liquid inside the pipes will no longer gravitate toward the right location.

Well if you think about it in a standard ATX tower config they are upside down anyway - i.e. the hottest part is on the top. The RV02 will eliminate the issue with flexing which is what I thought you were asking.

The stock cooler on the HD4870X2 is 1.2kg. Didn't see any sagging with that.

The 6850 is also a good 3 inches shorter than the 4870X2. It's really a non-issue then. Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll install the T-Rad2 when I get it and see how the sag looks.

May I offer a superior solution?

Are you saying put the duct tape in between the GPU and the case or duct tape the GPU to the top of the case?:confused:

The 6850 is also a good 3 inches shorter than the 4870X2. It's really a non-issue then. Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll install the T-Rad2 when I get it and see how the sag looks.

Are you saying put the duct tape in between the GPU and the case or duct tape the GPU to the top of the case?:confused:

Why does that sound wrong? "How the sag looks."

Sorry, I had to :D.

I had a 4870x2 with an AC Extreme cooler on it. It was pretty heavy but it stayed in place fine, the two screws holding it to the case in the back via the pci plates are more than enough.

It leaves residue and does not stick long term. I have used duct tape in many places over the years and it never holds forever. Even holding up a piece of paper to a glass windows, the duct tape will just fall from its own weight after a year or so.

also duct tape is a very good fire starter. In scouts we used to bundle little wads of duct tape and lit that with a match or steel wool plus a battery to start our fires because both methods work when the wood was wet. Then again we also used white gas and road flares sometimes so consider duct tape as not safe around heat...

The 69xx series cards have an aluminum plate that covers the entire backside of the PCB; with the exception of a few openings. This is part of the HSF mounting and keeps the card more than rigid enough. If this backplate can stay in place with the new cooler, there should be zero problems.

Back