how can l remove files listed in the 'Startup' of msconfig?

A couple questions. I went through my MSCONFIG a while ago.

I decided to clean up the system a little bit, run some spyware software, hijackthis, etc.

I noticed that there are programs still listed, that arent installed anylonger as UNCHECKED items in my 'STARTUP' tab of the msconfig window.

The programs arent loading, because they are not there, but just for 'clean it up' sake, id like to get them off of that list if possible.

I also have this 'desktop24.ico always being re-listed in my startup folder too for some reason. is there a reason that file always comes back?

thanks!

you need to uninstall the programs to get them out of there or remove them from the registry.. Just unchecking them only stops them from being ran at startup..

The desktop24.ico could be spyware but I'll bet its part of a theme your running

Run a registery cleaner. That should remove the extraneos entries from the startup section.

Ryland said:
Run a registery cleaner. That should remove the extraneos entries from the startup section.
Easiest way to do it.

But, if the cleaner doesn't catch everything, run msconfig and make a note of the name of the file under the Command heading. Slow way is to open up regedit and do a search for those file names. First though, check HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Run-Disabled (or -Run). You should be able to safely delete the values in these keys. If you don't find the files that you are looking for in the keys, it'll be back to searching manually.

WARNING: accidentally deleting the wrong keys can seriously screw up the box. Be careful! (safety notice satisfied)

Back