How can I trick my computer to think it is on a LAN?

Max-Powers

Gawd
I want to make my computer think it is on a LAN. Basically, I play Dungeon Siege II with my brother when I come home on leave, and over the years, we are never able to finish. When we play, it plays over the LAN. You cannot use a LAN character with the regular online multilayer, so if I want to continue our game, it must be LAN. Is there a way where we can make our computers think they are on the same LAN? So than when we go to a LAN game, we will see each other?
All this on Windows XP

It's called a VPN.
You don't need Hamachi. You can set one up with XP's built in tools if at least one of you has Pro edition. Quick google search: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
You can find more stuff just by googling keywords: XP VPN SETUP

My Linksys router running DDWRT also runs a VPN host, I can log into it remotely and be signed a DHCP address and be just like I was plugged directly into my home network.

So I followed the steps to set up the VPN on my computer. When I try to connect to it with another computer, I put in to ip address that I got from the first computer and it does not connect. We are testing this while both connected to a wireless Dlink router. One computer on the wired portion, my computer on the wirelss. Are there ports that I need to unlock to get it to work?

For the sake of keeping things simple, I also recommend Hamachi. Install it..and go!

Using native Windows VPN, you will need to worry about creating static LAN IPs for the sake of doing the port fowarding, the port forwarding itself, possible 3rd party firewall settings, and 5th....the latest WAN IP address of the host.

Yeah, VPNs are great if you know what you're doing and understand it (or even if you want to learn it). If you just want to play the game and don't care about the technology making it work, get Hamachi. It'll do everything for you.

Back