How can I stop windows XP from having a Local Login on Novell Network

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Direwolf20, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

Ok guys, heres kinda a tricky situation, and I'm not even sure IF there is a solution, but I figured if there is one, here is the place to be. I considered posting this in networks, but its more of an OS problem.

We have a novell network here at my job, and we've got an issue with the Windows XP local login. Basically, users have to login to their computers twice. First they login to novell, and then the Windows XP local login pops up, and they have a local account and login with that.

Currently we've been keeping the novell/local passwords the same. This eliminates the second login box, because if the Username and Password is the same on the machine as it is for Novell, it doesn't ask a second time. It just logs in with the sign-on.

The main problem is when users forget their passwords, or change their password for Novell (every 30 days). When they change their passwords, sometimes it automatically changes their local password, othertimes it won't. They'll get the Local Window's login box, and they have to enter their OLD password, and click the "change my password to match novell" checkbox. Easy enough, but these are users after all ;).

When they forget their passwords, its a whole nother story. We can reset their novell password remotely, but then we usually have to remote control the computer, login as administrator locally, force-change their local passwords, logout and have them login. Then they screw it up again somehow, you know how it is.

Anyway, its not a HUGE problem, but it is an inconvience. I'd just like for them to be able to auto-login to the PC with the same username as their network username. A blank local password isn't gonna work here, because they could always login as "workstation only" which is local account only. Too easy to get around, and insecure. Novell has something called NMAS which is supposed to help with passwords, but honestly its a messy thing, and has caused more problems for us than I can count :). I'd rather not have a static local account password, because thats just ANOTHER password the users have to deal with, even if it never changes.

Anyone have an idea? :)

2. KevinO

KevinO [H]ard|Gawd

I don't think you can stop the XP login. You best bet would be to create a domain and move all the users to it and then remove all of the local logins. That way they login to Novell and the domain and when the passwords are changed it should change on both. If not, you change the password using the windows utilities on the server.

We used to do this and moving to a domain helped tremendously, but you still had some problems with password syncing. On the up side, it is easier to administer in the long run.

3. nessus

nessus 2[H]4U

On the nose. Reduces, but does not eliminate synch problems. We have around the order of 1/10th the sychronization problems with domain accounts as opposed to local.

4. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

Hmmm, perhaps I'll throw that one by my boss :). Although we're not THAT big of a company (250 or so users) so its not like its that major of a problem.

5. Tordek

Tordek [H]ard|Gawd

there is a way to automatically login users in xp.

type Control Userpasswords2 in run window.

Since it seems that in your network every user has an assigned workstation. You could just set a static password in xp and just change the novell password.

6. Digital-Vortex

Digital-Vortex Gawd

The college im at uses Novell Netware, im currently studying the thing, and i have the pleasure of being tought by the admin.

They get around it by createing a default account with a simple name and no password, then a user just hits return, however try the auto login, something TweakUI, so it takes people into a deualt account.

If that dont work let me know il see what i can dig up for you :)

7. Mongoose

Mongoose Gawd

from novell 5 up you can use console one/ zenworks to have novell auto-create an account on the local machine on first login for each user, then when you change the password in novell, the next time they log in, it changes the password on the local windows machine. I believe you need to be using the novell client on the local machine to do this (so clientless on novell 6 wouldnt work)