How can I rename a network location in Windows 7?

In Windows 7, in the Network and Sharing Center, there's the three icons at the top showing your computer, the network location, and the internet.

In Vista, it's possible to rename the network location via the "Manage network connections" option on the tasks menu on the left.

In 7, that option is gone. You can "manage wireless networks", but I'm on a wired connection.

My network name is "Network 2", and it bugs me. I want to change it.

Google has not helped at all. The ways given to change that name in Vista don't seem to work in 7.

Anyone got any ideas how I can do this in 7?

Thanks!

In Windows 7, in the Network and Sharing Center, there's the three icons at the top showing your computer, the network location, and the internet.

In Vista, it's possible to rename the network location via the "Manage network connections" option on the tasks menu on the left.

In 7, that option is gone. You can "manage wireless networks", but I'm on a wired connection.

My network name is "Network 2", and it bugs me. I want to change it.

Google has not helped at all. The ways given to change that name in Vista don't seem to work in 7.

Anyone got any ideas how I can do this in 7?

Thanks!

Hi, General Crespin,

You might try the steps outlined by MS MVP Shawn Brink in his "Network Name and Icon - Change" tutorial.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Remarkably, I just did this not ten minutes ago. Just click on the icon to the left of the network name in the Network and Sharing Center.

Back