How can I remove recent windows updates from CMD in recovery mode? Windows is booting to a black screen with pointer..nothing seems to help

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Hello!
I am trying to help a friend 5000 miles away with her Asus laptop that is booting to a black screen with a pointer after a Windows update.
Nothing is working so far...tried to bring up taskbar but nothing, tried Reset keeping her files, restore point, but it does not get the work done. She is not 100% the restore or reset options actually completed but she didnt see any errors just back to the black screen.
I am trying some commands from CMD in recovery window but no luck so far. I was thinking of trying to remove drives or windows updates via CMD but I am open to other suggesitons.
Would be much easier if I had the computer in front of me of course...

Thanks

If the computer still boots up, tell her to back up all her personal files on a USB drive and then reinstall.

The restore should have put the system back to a point before the most recent windows updates, so if that didn't work, I'm not sure manually removing them from the command prompt would work either.

When she is stuck at the black screen with the cursor, does the cursor move? What happens when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL at that point? Does it bring up the blue screen that allows you to bring up Task Manager, etc?

The restore should have put the system back to a point before the most recent windows updates, so if that didn't work, I'm not sure manually removing them from the command prompt would work either.

When she is stuck at the black screen with the cursor, does the cursor move? What happens when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL at that point? Does it bring up the blue screen that allows you to bring up Task Manager, etc?DS|
I am pretty sure she said she can move it but I will ask again. And no, no taskbar with either that or the +ESC combination. Very odd.

I know it's a longshot, but does she by chance have multiple monitors attached, or even something like an HDMI cable going to a receiver (which can create a phantom display)? I'm just asking because if it's trying to use a different output as the primary display, all you will see on the secondary display is a black screen with a cursor (when the cursor moves to that screen). The screen that you can't see will probably be sitting at the login screen. If you think that's a possibility, then when she gets to the black screen, have her hit ESC once, enter her password, and then hit enter. Or just hit ESC and then Enter if she has no passord.

I know it's a longshot, but does she by chance have multiple monitors attached, or even something like an HDMI cable going to a receiver (which can create a phantom display)? I'm just asking because if it's trying to use a different output as the primary display, all you will see on the secondary display is a black screen with a cursor (when the cursor moves to that screen). The screen that you can't see will probably be sitting at the login screen. If you think that's a possibility, then when she gets to the black screen, have her hit ESC once, enter her password, and then hit enter. Or just hit ESC and then Enter if she has no passord.
I was trying to get her to find a monitor just in case but that is a good idea and nothing to lose for sure.

Back