How can i recover my hard drive?

natpond

Limp Gawd
i just installed a new 10k RPM SATA drive as my new boot drive and in the process of setting up windows installation i did a quicj (i THINK) reformat of my storage drive which contained all my mp3s (85 gigs, that took me many many years and thousands of dollars to accumulate, i dont pirate) and pictures from my trips and such... anyways, the data is very VERY important to me, but i am a poor college student. my friend said i could get program that could rebuild the erased index... if so is there a free one? or if i must pay i want one that is known to work and work well, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. also do i need another drive for this program to put the files on? or can it just keep the existing drive and rebuild the index?

thanks,
nat

Nat, that's a shame.

Here's a bump for ya.

Also might do a search in the Disk Storage Systems forum. But don't cross post this in the other forum, we're not supposed to. OK?

GL :)

i want to say that Norton Utilities has a utility that will unformat a drive. If you're really serious about this data you could always send the drive to Ontrack who do professional data recovery.

But that costs so much money... and would quickly eliminate the point of him searching for sales on certain songs because the data recovery service would basically cost him thousands as well. It's so worthless. I do know that Ontrack's Data Recovery program is very nice.

-J.

GeForceX,

The same thing happened to my wife, during a Windows XP reinstall. We found a program called Restore 2000 Pro that recovered most (if not all) of her lost files. Check it out at: http://www.bitmart.net/

The program offers a free demo, that you can at least try, and see if it works for you. Also, the Pro version reads Fat & NTFS, and only costs $49.99. Not too bad... (And I am not part of the company, only a happy user).

Good Luck,

Stimpy

thanks guys, i guess ill have to spring for a 50 dollar program... definately worth it, but puts a dent in my budget... guess my beer supply will have to wait for a month or two. any more ideas would be great, tips on use etc.

http://www.objectrescue.com/

i used mediaresue to recover pictures off of an accidently formatted CF card even.. i believe that one of the programs will recover everything, and the cheaper ones only recover pictures, or music, or office doc, etc...

and i am going to be honest. i cracked the program first, and used it to make sure it worked, some of the programs i tried didn't.. then i payed later.. maybe you can do that and pay when you have the money.. i know it probably isn't right to tell you to do that, but i am not telling you where and how to crack it at least..

you need to borrow a hard drive or something though to dump the recovered files onto.. that is the easiest way to do it.. well, how big is your new drive? i think that is probably how any of these programs will work.. maybe you can buy an external use it for that, and then sell it at a slight loss in the forums or ebay.. recovering data is expensive and time consuming.. but it can be done...

good luck

I am using EasyRecovery Professional right now to pull data off of a drive that was dying. Windows no longer see it as formatted. I still have a few hours left of scanning (15 gig partition, FAT32) but the 4 gigger (NTFS) I did earlier I don't think it tok ten minutes.

Back