how can i get rid of dust on my hardware?

etegv

Limp Gawd
i have dust on my gpu/ram and id like to know if there is something i can buy to get rid of it. is there a metrovac for pc parts? I just want all my parts to look nice and clean

thanks

Using a vacuum is generally a bad idea as it can cause static buildup and lead to ESD and component damage.

Canned air is usually the best/safest way to go, though not cheapest. Unfortunately, air compressors are also dangerous due to condensation buildup - so your options are somewhat limited.

I remove anything like fans etc from the case for a good vacuum every year or so, but the sensitive stuff just gets canned air.

I agree with cageymaru. I bought one of those electric dusters and it's so much better than the hassle of duster cans, Shop-Vacs, air compressors or other methods. It will pay for itself in no time with how expensive those cans are.

I use a mains powered compressor for my car tyres.
It serves as a brilliant tool to shift dust as well.

Do it outdoors unless you like choking and repopulating the house with the dust.

I use a anti static brush and a air mattress pump. The brush works great on dust that's caked on.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ive had mine for a few years now and it's paid for itself. I use it on more than just my computer.

compressed air is what I use on fans...I also have removable fan filters on the front which I remove and wash every few months...I have a spare set of filters so I switch out and let the old ones dry out

Build a mineral oil submersed PC and avoid it all together. d;

But seriously, a good air compressor won't really have moisture issues, cheap nasty ones, perhaps. Even then, I'd doubt it'll be salty water, distilled water (pretty much what is water vapour, unless you're next to the sea) doesn't do jack to PC components, it's actually the salts/etc left behind that do the damage. I've had multiple distilled water spills on keyboards/computers/phones without issue.
That said, any manufacturing friends may be able to help out. Factory I'm at has multiple water traps, when you have a few high end CNC machines, water is not an option in air lines.

Seriously, the Metro DataVac its one of the best things I've ever purchased for my PCs and other electronics. No more wasting money on canned air that stinks and does a half-assed job. I've had my vac five years now and its working just as well as when I bought it. One of the few times when "Made in the USA" meant something.

Have had mine for over 5 years now.. still going strong. Its great on computers but I use it also for blowing out filters like the ones in vaccumes. Ive used the same filter in mine for over 3 years. So, for sure these pay for themselves.

To prevent dust getting in my PC, I have fitted ladies tights/stockings, stretched over the front of all fan intakes.
These are extremely easy to clean with a vacuum brush attachment without taking my PC offline and no stripping down needed.
It takes a few seconds of my time while vacuuming my house to keep the vents clear.

Dirt cheap, very effective and last forever.
No need for internal filters.

Only requirement for maximum effectiveness is positive air pressure inside the case.
Negative pressure (higher airflow out of the case than in) will draw air in through gaps in the case.
Although the same applies for any filtering system.

I don't let it bother me I'll take a vacuum to the front grill of the case where most of the dust collects. I have a screen door filter cut out cause my other one wore out from replacing it and taking it out.

HAF cases stands for High Dust Flow you can't get around it.

If you watercool you can I suppose even then you have fans

does it do a good job of cleaning fans with lots of dust in it?

Absolutely. Just block the fan with a pencil or screwdriver so it doesn't over spin because that blower puts out a ton of air. I keep my PCs clean as a whistle by blowing them out every month or so and my house is hella dusty (I hate housework ;)).

Doesn't matter how clean your house is on the inside, you'll always get dust in your computer.

Not true. I got a couple of HEPA air purifiers for my house. Haven't had any settled dust in my rig in months. It used to be a weekly job to clean it out.

GamerZ , what kind of hepa purifier did you get? Ive been interested in getting one but havent started to shop.
Thanks

Another vote for the datavac. I love mine. Been great for the past couple years.

like the water people dieletric fluid... ie no salts to conduct current. Soak it for a week raise it out. dry with shop fan or canned air. and all your labels are toast but the parts will be clean and the fans will run smoother, unless they are not sealed then they might not work. grin.

+1 for Metro Vacuum ED500. Should be called Metro Blower. Never use a real vacuum on computer components. But you all knew that already. When blowing your fans, be sure to keep them from spinning at crazy speeds from the blast of air. They can be damaged.

I've been using an artist paint brush and the vacuum cleaner for years now and I've never had a static electric problem.

I just brush the dust off the fans or what ever part in the direction of the hose on the vacuum.

That little blower deal looks pretty cool though.:D

Ever since I purchased the Datavac a few years ago, it saved me a ton on canned compressed air. :)

+1 on the Datavac best investment on a tool I've ever made!

Damn, always wondered how it did. Im going to get one this BF...as I was looking at them last BF.

Did a quick research on SD and the lowest price, at a glance, was 6/27 of this year for $39

for sure shop around for one... Ive seen the price as low as 50.00 and as high as 150.00 if you saw one for 39 shoot Id get 2 of em!

I bought a $50 Chinese air compressor unit and am very happy using it to clean components.

I can also use it to inflate my bikes, which is a plus :D

Back