How can I extend the range of my WiFi network?

idyll

n00b
Using DD-WRT, I set up my Linksys WRT54G to work as a wireless repeater / "Repeater Bridge" of the Verizon MiFi 3G 2200 modem/router device in our house.

I still need a way to get internet access about 200 feet away from Linksys WRT54G Repeater Bridge, so I purchased a Hawking HWABN1 Access Point / Bridge and a Window Antenna to connect to the Hawking HWABN1.

Can the Hawking HWABN1 connect to the Linksys WRT54G Repeater Bridge so that I can get online by connecting to the Hawking HAWBN1? If yes, does the HWABN1 need to be setup as a Bridge or Access Point?

Did I buy the right equipment for this, or should I have purchased a Range Extender instead? What are my options for this scenario?

Thank you

I can't find the antenna you describe, so I can't guess if it will be sufficient or not, and it really depends on the RF environment where you are anyway, but I would guess if the antenna is decent it should probably work. You want the HWABN1 in bridge mode.

Also keep in mind that 'repeater bridges' really cripple your wireless performance. If the antenna is good and you can hit the main router directly, even if you get a slightly lower link rate, I'd do that and turn the repeater off.

The reason I am using the Linksys as a repeater is because the range of the Verizon MiFi 2200 is only 50 feet or less. The Linksys repeater more than doubles it, and I need to be able to access the internet wirelessly in the whole house.

So if I have the HWABN1 in bridge mode it will be able to connect to the Linksys repeater and then other computers will be able to connect to the HWABN1 to get online? When setting up the HWABN1 as a bridge, do I put in the Linksys' IP address as the address it connects to or the Verizon MiFi's?

Thanks!

Back