How Can I Do This?

Thunder

Weaksauce
We have a basic workgroup type network right now buts its kinda messed like I can get files off my brothers c$ share but he cant mine and no one can get of my dads comp. But anyway, my dad is gonna be moving overseas possibly, but he would like to connect to the network liek his computer is in the house, how can this be done? The main reason is he is getting a network capable Tivo or something. TIA,
John

(also, if it involves making a server I am game, one more computer to fold with :p)

The easiest way is probably to just buy a gateway/router that has VPN server functionality. You could also do this with a Linux box. Could do it in windows as well though I wouldn't want to depend on it. Then your Dad would just his internet connection abroad to connect to the VPN server via whatever VPN client you went with. Any windows version can be setup as a VPN client, though XP's is a bit easier to deal with than say, a 98 dialup VPN client.

Ok well I enabled VPN in my router and tried it it seemed to work. I just now need to fiugure out how to get all teh computers authenticating properly. Like right now I can send remote shutdown to my brothers but not dads, and neither can send them to me. What else needs to be done once the workgroups are set the same? Thanks for the VPN idea.

Back