How can I copy one hard drive to another?

Krycek1

Gawd
I am trying to move my Operating System and all my data on one hard drive to a new one. Does anyone know how to do this and could help me out?

There's software programs such as Acronis True Image Home, which I've personally used for many of my own computers as well as for clients. There's also Norton Ghost. Both programs do an exact bit-for-bit copy of your partition over to another physical hard disk so you won't have to reinstall anything. Copy, pop out the old drive, pop in the new drive, and you're set. :)

I paid $10 for Acronis True Image Home a few weeks ago. My HD upgrade should go smoothly...

Get the software that would have come with the drive if it was a retail purchase (I'm making an assumption it's an OEM non-boxed drive) from the manufacturer. It'll allow you to do the transfer from the old drive to the new one easily.

True Image is useful for this also, but unless you already have it, there's no sense buying it just to do a drive-to-drive copy when the manufacturer of the hard drive has already done that for you with their software.

I'm like the biggest True Image proponent here at this forum, and while I do recommend it for all imaging purposes, in this instance it's not necessary.

If you have any Seagate hard drive installed in your computer, Seagate Discwizard, which is a basic version of Acronis True Image is free for download.

Back