How can I block the 1809 update from installing?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I did a clean format of my gaming pc 3 weeks ago, and shut off "automatic updates" but as we all know, that only lasts for 4 weeks I think. I do not want to have the 1809 update installed on this pc, so how can i tell windows update to NOT DL and install it?

Is there a specific reason you do not want the 1809 update installed? Because if you have the Pro version, you can delay the Feature updates by up to 365 days.

yes, there is.... cause the OS and PC are running perfectly, so i see no need to have any more MS bloat on this pc, so if i can stop MS from forcing updates down my throat, i will. How can I stop the updates for upto 365 days? I do have pro version, and i can only see a place where i can check mark a box to defer updates for 30days....

yes, there is.... cause the OS and PC are running perfectly, so i see no need to have any more MS bloat on this pc, so if i can stop MS from forcing updates down my throat, i will. How can I stop the updates for upto 365 days? I do have pro version, and i can only see a place where i can check mark a box to defer updates for 30days....

Under Features updates includes, just select 365 days there.

Under Features updates includes, just select 365 days there.

Setting this is fine but can't rely on it - I had a bunch of PCs set for 365 days when I installed, then a few weeks later they all got bitten with a feature update that borked the GPUs, then a couple PCs hung on the rollback, which meant restoring from images - all headache that I didn't ask for and with no upside.

MS seems to have a thing with ignoring GPOs sporadically now, so definitely supplement with a third party blocker.

Setting this is fine but can't rely on it - I had a bunch of PCs set for 365 days when I installed, then a few weeks later then all got hit.

MS seems to have a thing with ignoring GPOs sporadically now, so definitely supplement with a third party blocker.

Such a disappointing mess when MS won't honor their GPOs, intentionally or by ineptitude.

I can back this up, I've found the same thing. No matter what you do it seems Microsoft are going to persist in pushing those updates.

Resistance is Futile...

I've got a machine on the bench right now, it's been updating literally all day. It downloaded the update while the OS was running, it installed the update while the OS was running (or part of it), it wanted to reboot to apply the rest of the update, that took ages, then it finally booted back to desktop. After that I went to do a 'quick reboot' where it applied another update, again that took ages. Boots to desktop, do some work on the underlying OS, walk away from the bench for an hour or two, come back and it's rebooted magically by itself and it's applying another update!

I'd hate to actually get work done..

I've got a machine on the bench right now, it's been updating literally all day. It downloaded the update while the OS was running, it installed the update while the OS was running (or part of it), it wanted to reboot to apply the rest of the update, that took ages, then it finally booted back to desktop. After that I went to do a 'quick reboot' where it applied another update, again that took ages. Boots to desktop, do some work on the underlying OS, walk away from the bench for an hour or two, come back and it's rebooted magically by itself and it's applying another update!

I'd hate to actually get work done..

I always do a clean install from an iso whenever MS releases one of their major Fall/Spring updates...I did a clean install of 2 hard drives over the past few days and everything seems to be running fine...for now

I always do a clean install from an iso whenever MS releases one of their major Fall/Spring updates...I did a clean install of 2 hard drives over the past few days and everything seems to be running fine...for now

That is one way to tackle the problem, the problem is that you shouldn't be forced to resort to such extreme measures. The other issue with updating in such a fashion is that if there is an issue with the latest update, you can't roll back.

Please don't take me the wrong way, not trying to stir up shit, I just think it's deplorable that in this day and age the Windows updating system sucks so badly and gives you so little control over the process. ;)

its a damn shame we are forced to update... I miss win xp and win7, and hell, win 8.1 for that matter... "WE" had control over what "WE" wanted

its a damn shame we are forced to update... I miss win xp and win7, and hell, win 8.1 for that matter... "WE" had control over what "WE" wanted
You paid for those OSes. You can still run Windows 8.1 if you want.

Can't please everyone. It's free, so is Linux. OSX has many of the same issues as Windows, despite being in a closed hardware environment.

Can't please everyone. It's free, so is Linux. OSX has many of the same issues as Windows, despite being in a closed hardware environment.

I agree that macOS isn't fault free, but it's updating process is nowhere near as flawed as Windows. I paid full price for my copy of Windows.

I can see where the OP is coming from. After Windows 10 updated to 1809.17753 this afternoon I spent 2 hours recovering from a "MBR error-1, Ha, Ha.... dumass, you trusted Windows update not to bork your junk" error. Never again!

Downloaded OOshutup and really hope it works.

I can see where the OP is coming from. After Windows 10 updated to 1809.17753 this afternoon I spent 2 hours recovering from a "MBR error-1, Ha, Ha.... dumass, you trusted Windows update not to bork your junk" error. Never again!

Downloaded OOshutup and really hope it works.

Ha Ha, jokes on you, that is not a problem with the Windows 10 update and a 2 second search on google shows that. I know you had the issue, that much is obvious but, it was not caused by the update or Windows 10 specifically.

Ha Ha, jokes on you, that is not a problem with the Windows 10 update and a 2 second search on google shows that. I know you had the issue, that much is obvious but, it was not caused by the update or Windows 10 specifically.

Windows said it needed to restart to update. I closed all the apps I had open and clicked restart now. It did 12% of the update, restarted and I got the MBR error 1. Found that the MBR on disc 0 was gone and there was a new Windows Boot Manager on the C: drive I had to boot to. Update restarted 3-4 time and every time I got the MBR 1 error and had tro boot to the WBM. Ran /fixmbr which said it was fixed but it wasn't. Ran /scanos and the only OS it found was Windows.old folder which was created yesterday, I assume by the update as I did a clean install on this SSD a year ago. Finally went into the bios and changed the boot option to the boot manager.

Explain how that was not caused by the update.

Windows said it needed to restart to update. I closed all the apps I had open and clicked restart now. It did 12% of the update, restarted and I got the MBR error 1. Found that the MBR on disc 0 was gone and there was a new Windows Boot Manager on the C: drive I had to boot to. Update restarted 3-4 time and every time I got the MBR 1 error and had tro boot to the WBM. Ran /fixmbr which said it was fixed but it wasn't. Ran /scanos and the only OS it found was Windows.old folder which was created yesterday, I assume by the update as I did a clean install on this SSD a year ago. Finally went into the bios and changed the boot option to the boot manager.

Explain how that was not caused by the update.

Because it is not a problem exclusive too Windows 10.

Edit: Wait, also, Windows Boot Manager only works with GPT partitioned drives, not MBR of any kind.

Last edited:
Because it is not a problem exclusive too Windows 10.

Edit: Wait, also, Windows Boot Manager only works with GPT partitioned drives, not MBR of any kind.

OK, so why did I get the MBR 1 error after Windows Update restarted my computer? Any guess?

OK, so why did I get the MBR 1 error after Windows Update restarted my computer? Any guess?

This is just a wild guess because I am not in front of the computer: Maybe one of your hard drives are partitioned as MBR and that drive is set on the primary sata port. It is possible that a bios update might be needed to avoid that in the future. (I do not know what you have in hardware so I could be right or wrong, no certain idea.) Not trying to defend Windows 10 per se, just that maybe a change in the way drives are handled was done and a bios update might be needed. (Once again, just a wild ass guess on my part.) Obviously, however, it is a Windows issue, I will give you that.

This is just a wild guess because I am not in front of the computer: Maybe one of your hard drives are partitioned as MBR and that drive is set on the primary sata port. It is possible that a bios update might be needed to avoid that in the future. (I do not know what you have in hardware so I could be right or wrong, no certain idea.) Not trying to defend Windows 10 per se, just that maybe a change in the way drives are handled was done and a bios update might be needed. (Once again, just a wild ass guess on my part.) Obviously, however, it is a Windows issue, I will give you that.

HDD setup has been the same since I installed Windows 10 a year ago. Bios on the MB is locked and I haven't updated it.

Back