How can I achieve such clarity in my photos?

He does a good job of white balancing the photos so they don't have the sodium/tungsten color that a lot of night shots have. I'm not sure if these are "long" exposure, but I'd say they're all exposed well. When they're sized for the web it's hard to make any calls about sharpness. Can you post some examples of photos you've taken that don't satisfy you?

He certainly seems to have a good grasp on lighting concepts and post-processing.

Looks like he's using a lot of tone-mapping and/or some hdr to get good exposure across those store-front shots. He may have set up some of his own lighting to fill in the gaps in some of the darker areas, or maybe he just got lucky with the found light.

The street scenes with people in them may or may-not actually be night scenes. Kindof looks to me like he shot them in broad daylight with the sun as a back-light, and underexposed everything else to get that nice outline on the people. Then added some more tone-mapping to give them that comic-book rendered look.

A GREAT EYE is what made those photos. He says he uses no HDR. Pretty much any good camera could have made those shots, even a good P&S.

Also I think the key to these images is location and setup. The photographer did not just walk by and take a snap shot. He had the people in the right places and he was in the right place.

Yeah. I don't see anything super special there.
i've done perfectly good images with now-ancient point and shoots.

casio z750 very little post.

minicimg4466wn0.jpg

Back