How can brand new memory go bad within weeks?

jobert

[H]ard|Gawd
When I first built this all new computer several weeks ago I tested the memory and it was just fine with no issues but over the last few weeks I started getting crash after crash in games and last night I tested the memory and within seconds was already coming back with issues. How in the hell does brand new perfectly running memory become defective like that? I have fooled with computers for 20 years and never had that happen. My fear is that it could be the memory slots on the motherboard that may have damaged it somehow. The memory was on the qvl list for the motherboard and on the qvl list directly from g.skill and was always run at the XMP profile so no overclocking or additional voltage was ever used on it.

xmp is technically overclocking the ram. if youre getting mem errors try bumping the voltage a bit. could also be the imc in the cpu...

xmp is technically overclocking the ram. if youre getting mem errors try bumping the voltage a bit. could also be the imc in the cpu...
The memory is approved by both gskill and MSI to run at that XMP profile which has a specific voltage and if I have to tinker with voltage beyond that then that is the fault of either gskill or MSI. Again when the memory was brand new it would pass a memory test no matter how many passes but now errors occur within the first few seconds. The memory is clearly defective now. My concern at this point is whether it's the memory that is actually the problem or did the motherboard damage the memory in some way. I guess I'll find out after a few weeks of using new memory.

The memory is approved by both gskill and MSI to run at that XMP profile which has a specific voltage and if I have to tinker with voltage beyond that then that is the fault of either gskill or MSI. Again when the memory was brand new it would pass a memory test no matter how many passes but now errors occur within the first few seconds. The memory is clearly defective now. My concern at this point is whether it's the memory that is actually the problem or did the motherboard damage the memory in some way. I guess I'll find out after a few weeks of using new memory.
sure, could also be your chip not liking them all of a sudden, hence "imc".... so you could try what i suggested or good luck with the rma.

Testing one stick at a time is how you confirm that the RAM is at fault as it is very unlikely for both sticks to die at the exact same time unless they had some help.

Not an unusual failure mode in solid state electronics. Burn in is supposed to capture 'infant mortality' but it happens. Seeing silicon fail after a short time in operation isn't unheard of.

im getting ripjaws 16gb for $35 for my old rig, memory isnt too crazy now in terms of prices, dont they have lifetime or limited lifetime warranty?

GSkill DDR5 sucks massive balls. I've used several of theirs so far and one had a bad stick, the others were just unstable no matter what I did and they ran super hot. I ended up getting teamgroup T-Create 6000mhz kits which are guaranteed Hynix A-dies and they work great, overclock well, use less voltage, run cooler, and are generally 150% better than the trash Gskill is putting out these days and at a cheaper price too. I got two 32GB kits of this stuff at $77 a piece on Amazon.

I'm in the process of RMAing a bad 32gb g skill ripjaws ddr5 stick that I just pulled out of the packaging a little over a month ago. I keep seeing g skill come up when people talk about memory failures, so it seems they're having some major QC issues as of late.

I just had a 16gb set of Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 shit the bed on me out of no where, yes both sticks, not even a year old yet.
RMAing now.

The majority of all electronics failures will bear themselves out in the first 90 days of use. If it's a physical hardware problem, it was defected when you bought it, but it ran well enough not to suffer.

What makes it more aggravating is I had to go out and buy another memory kit while I sent my other one in and it took longer than 2 weeks so I could not return the other memory kit. That's just even more unneeded expense on the users end for a defective product.

What makes it more aggravating is I had to go out and buy another memory kit while I sent my other one in and it took longer than 2 weeks so I could not return the other memory kit. That's just even more unneeded expense on the users end for a defective product.
Good. You shouldn't be renting your ram from a retailer anyway.

Good. You shouldn't be renting your ram from a retailer anyway.
If I buy ram on sale at Best Buy for 100 bucks that is normally 130 bucks then I return it they will list it as open box for around 110 or 115 bucks or so. In the end they lose nothing as they will sell it for more than they would have gotten for me when it was sale. I do not like doing that but I also dont like having to deal with a defective product causing problems in my PC, doing an RMA and losing time and additional money.

I bought a set of gskill flare 6000 cl 30 memory and they’ve run perfectly at their EXPO settings since I installed them. I’ve had them in since April 14th so they’re definitely past their burn in period. I don’t understand why you waited for other sticks to be delivered before you returned the defective ones, then you complained about how you couldn’t return them anymore. Why didn‘t you just return them right away if you knew they had a problem?

I bought a set of gskill flare 6000 cl 30 memory and they’ve run perfectly at their EXPO settings since I installed them. I’ve had them in since April 14th so they’re definitely past their burn in period. I don’t understand why you waited for other sticks to be delivered before you returned the defective ones, then you complained about how you couldn’t return them anymore. Why didn‘t you just return them right away if you knew they had a problem?
What? I sent the defective kit in as soon as the RMA form was approved. I then found some ram on sale at Best Buy to use while I waited to have the replacement kit sent back which ended up taking a little over two weeks. Once two weeks had passed I could not return the ram I had bought from Best Buy.

Last edited:
Back