How big of a jump...

cisobe

Limp Gawd
Kind of a dumb question... but I've gone on hiatus for awhile not really gaming or upgrading my computer for quite some time... been busy getting married, and buying a house... my old computer is spec'd:

AMD 4200 X2
2gb of ram
readeon x850xt
18" 1280x1024 samsung monitor
(haha, its been so long, i forget what else i was running)

new rig:
Core i7 920
6gb corsair ddr3 dominator ram
Asus p6T deluxe v2 mobo
Sapphire Radeon 5870 vid
Soundblaster Fatality Soundcard
Corsair 850watt psu
26" - 1920x1200 LCD monitor (asus)

my old computer could barely run the crysis demo... i didn't even dare to try running far cry2 or any other modern game... i'm hoping to see major improvements over my old computer... especially since it's been nearly 5 generations since my last vid card... hope i'm not expecting too much!

I have a Dell XPS 435T with the I7 920, "not overclocked", 6gb Mem, XFX 5850, 450 w power supply, and I can now run crysis warhead @ 1920x1200 on enthusiest, 2xaa, with alot of action on screen, and with no slowdown. I was having so much fun, I forgot to test framerates.

Wow that's a huge jump. In other words, it's like going from a PoS 1997 Chevy Cavalier to a 2009 Chevy Camaro.

Your new setup is EXTREMELY close to the one I just put together. I have the normal P6T and I run everything in 1920x1080...but otherwise you're pretty much identical.
I run Crysis with vsync on with everything turned on high or very high and I'm pulling 40fps all of the time.
I have FC2 completely maxed out and the firefight benchmark has me at 60fps with vsync on. I haven't messed with the AA settings much, but I didn't get a drop with 2x AA, so I just left it there.
Batman is maxed at 60fps, too.
NFS: Shift as well.

Pretty much anything except Crysis can be run with maxed out setting, most often with AA cranked up, too.

First, congrats on getting married and buying a home. Both I know are bigger jumps then your new rig :)

Second, that is a huge leap in performance from rig to rig. I think you will be very happy with the power you will be playing with.

Good luck and enjoy!

great, that's what i wanted to hear... my previous upgrade, was only about 1 or 2 generations apart, and i wasn't too happy with the performance jump... i've been sitting and waiting for quite some time now, biding my time playing with my ps3 and xbox360... but i've been itching to get back on the pc and game... lol.. my old rig was just enough to play bf2 at decent frame rates, but would still studder everynow and then even with the settings turned down...

In terms of computing power, it's a large jump.
In terms of graphics power, that's also a large jump.

How large?
Well I had a similar system to yours, just a bit faster before I upgraded to my current i7.
Here are the framerates I got on the Sims 3 at that time:
Min 18 Max 56 Avg 40 1920x1080.

I recently played Sims3 on my new rig and recorded performance with FRAPS.
1st run Min 68 Max 263 Avg 202
2nd run Min 128 Max 322 Avg 217.

So my average framerate is now over 200, with all settings maxed at 1920x1080.
5x the average FPS and a min framerate that doesn't go under 60. Yeah. :)

the wait is killing me.. i just ordered yesterday... got all my parts off amazon... amazingly the prices were on par with newegg and zipzoomfly, but i get free shipping (to hawaii)... newegg was gonna charge me almost $150+ for shipping! I just need to wait about 1.5 weeks!!!

good setup, but honestly go with a monitor with a better panel if you can, I know it doesn't matter to some people, I don't know what panel does the monitor uses, but tn panels are absolute crap, you are spending all that money on the computer get a screen that will give you quality over size, I have 24inch lp2475w, it is a 24inch, got it on sale for 500bucks plus tax and man I would never buy another tn panel, gaming is absolutely gorgeous on the monitor, than again thats just my opinion. TOO late I guess lol.

Well.... I went from this

AM2
Abit Board
7950GT
4GB Geil Ram DDR2 1066
1 640 Gb WD Blu HD
Antec Trio PSU 430w

to...

Core i7 920
DFI x58 board
6G Crucial Ballistix 1600 DDR3
Radeon 5850
Raid 0 2x 640 GB WD Blu's
Corsair 750HX PSU

It completely changed the way i played games and moved around my computer...

MY jump is bigger than your planning, but god i love my video card.

i'm planning on picking up a 2nd monitor better quality monitor for photo editing later on. I chose the Asus monitor for several reasons, the first being it supports HDMI, Component, and DVI inputs, the second because it was decently priced, and third, because it was available from amazon with free shipping, ordered from elsewhere, would have cost me almost $50 to ship!!! I did quite a bit of research for this monitor, and balanced the pros and cons. The primary need was for something to hook my PS3 and Xbox360 upto as well as my computer.

I went into buying this monitor knowing that it wasn't the best image quality wise, but also knew i was planning to buy a better quality 2nd monitor in the future...

Last edited:
I went from
Athlon 64 3000+,
MSI K8T Neo,
3gb of DDR-400,
7600GT (AGP) too....

i7 920
MSI X58M
3GB DDR3-1333
HD4670

Even getting a much lesser card I still get some great fps in Crysis and Crysis: Warhead at 1680x1050 with gamer settings (no AA though). And that is with the Hd4670!!! I am upgrading to the HD5770 when they are released, but honestly, the system is day and night ahead of my old socket 754 system. You won't be disappointed!

good setup, but honestly go with a monitor with a better panel if you can, I know it doesn't matter to some people, I don't know what panel does the monitor uses, but tn panels are absolute crap, you are spending all that money on the computer get a screen that will give you quality over size, I have 24inch lp2475w, it is a 24inch, got it on sale for 500bucks plus tax and man I would never buy another tn panel, gaming is absolutely gorgeous on the monitor, than again thats just my opinion. TOO late I guess lol.

Thanks for the unsolicited opinion that has nothing to do with OPs question. We are all very impressed.

Now move along.

OP your performance jump will be nothing short of massive. Grats on the new toy.

I have thrown every game at my system. Crysis, Flash Point 2, HAWX, and I know you have the 5870, but all have played in maxed out settings. You should have no problem running anything. I did pick up HAWX tonight at my Target in edmond oklahoma for $7.98, and its a visually fun game.

I7 920
6 Gig Mem
Vista 64bit
1TB (7200rpm)
XFX 5850
Soundblaster Xi-Fi
BluRay +/- RW

Thats like the difference between sleeping with Megan Fox and Gary Coleman!!!!

sweet, all my parts are due in tomorrow! will be putting it together, and should have it up and running by the weekend...

guess i will be loading vista ultimate 64bit for a few weeks till windows 7 arrives...

Or install the windows 7 release candidate. Ran it on my laptop for months before 7 came out for MSDN subscribers and it ran just fine.

You'll definitely be happy with that rig though.

got my computer up and running, and all i have to say is damn... crysis looked like crap on my old computer and ran like crap too... now it looks awesome, runs super smoothly at 1920x1200.

I also picked up Operation Flashpoint 2, and I'm totally addicted to gaming again... There goes my productivity... I think I gamed for at least 12 hours this weekend...

got my computer up and running, and all i have to say is damn... crysis looked like crap on my old computer and ran like crap too... now it looks awesome, runs super smoothly at 1920x1200.

I also picked up Operation Flashpoint 2, and I'm totally addicted to gaming again... There goes my productivity... I think I gamed for at least 12 hours this weekend...

Nice! :D

I'm really impressed with the 5870, it doesn't even feel like I'm pushing it that hard, there's no hiccups or anything... it just chews through everything.

I'm kinda curious what 2 of these things would do :D

Back