How big is your Gaming screen?

I downsized from the 3x30" setup to my 49" setup and I feel similarly about it. No bezels and the real estate is more useful. That's why I'm not sold on the super wide screen shit. I wouldn't mind it but not at the cost of vertical real estate.

The height of my 34inch is = to my old 27 inch non widescreens. It just has more horizontal realistate so I can see the edges better. It is about as much as I actually used in the past. So for our comment. If you want a specific vertical size then you want to figure out what 21:9 retains that much height. I would usually times whatever you have by 1.26 and you will have the equivocal height in 21:9. For example: Your 30's would need to be 37.8 inch for Ultrawidescreen to have the same vertical footprint on your desk.

The height of my 34inch is = to my old 27 inch non widescreens. It just has more horizontal realistate so I can see the edges better. It is about as much as I actually used in the past. So for our comment. If you want a specific vertical size then you want to figure out what 21:9 retains that much height. I would usually times whatever you have by 1.26 and you will have the equivocal height in 21:9. For example: Your 30's would need to be 37.8 inch for Ultrawidescreen to have the same vertical footprint on your desk.

I had 27" 2560x1440 monitors that replaced my 30" 2560x1600 monitors and I found the lack of vertical real estate unacceptable. That's a relatively minor decrease in vertical pixel height and it was still too much of a change for me. I'm at 3840x2160 now, but I think I can go back to 1600 for a good enough monitor in other respects. I still use my 30's on the test bench so I'm used to it.

I'm really interested in those Dell glossy monitors that are geared for gaming. Mentioned on tft central. 24" 1080P and 27" 1440P I figure they will look like your typical glossy laptop screen only better because of the size. Some of those antiglare coating just wreck the screen. I know tv panels are almost all glossy but too big for me to focus on.

I had 27" 2560x1440 monitors that replaced my 30" 2560x1600 monitors and I found the lack of vertical real estate unacceptable. That's a relatively minor decrease in vertical pixel height and it was still too much of a change for me. I'm at 3840x2160 now, but I think I can go back to 1600 for a good enough monitor in other respects. I still use my 30's on the test bench so I'm used to it.

I got over it; use 32" 1440p (just swapped out 27" 1440p) after coming from 30" 1600p for years myself. I have a 32" 4k next to it on one side, and a pair of stacked 24" 1080p on the other side. Most monitoring tools go to the 4k, web pages go to 1080p, and any current work goes central be that gaming or otherwise, and adjust as needed. Working great so far.

Just started using my 55" Q7F as a 4k60 HDR monitor. Had to move my desk a few feet from the wall, but it is very nice.

I'm using an LG 24UD58-B 24" LED 4K monitor. I've considered getting a bigger 4K OLED like the LG C8, but I'm not sure there's any clear adavantage for me sitting further away from a big screen as opposed to closer to a small one since I'm not a gamepad/couch gamer and am glued to mouse/keyboard for the games I play. I also mostly play VR games anyway. The LG has been easy to manage and clean. I've also whacked it quite a number of times with a Vive controller, yet it shows absolutely no sign of scratching/wear so far as I can see, which is remarkable. I'm satisfied with my setup for now. My vive pro with gear vr lens mod and a customized face liner definitely entertains me more than my desktop monitor.

I'm using an LG 24UD58-B 24" LED 4K monitor. I've considered getting a bigger 4K OLED like the LG C8, but I'm not sure there's any clear adavantage for me sitting further away from a big screen as opposed to closer to a small one since I'm not a gamepad/couch gamer and am glued to mouse/keyboard for the games I play.

I don't know why people always say things like this. It doesn't make any sense. There is nothing that says you have to sit further away from a larger screen. The reason for getting a larger display in a given space is to have a bigger screen that fills more of your peripheral vision. The larger size allows you to see things in greater detail and enjoy a more immersive experience.

You make a good point Dan_D. I guess I was thinking I'd have to swivel my head around more as opposed to just my eyes, but I guess that's kind of the point and would probably add more immersion. But hell, if I'm looking for that kind of immersion I'll probably just turn to vorpx and my vive.

You make a good point Dan_D. I guess I was thinking I'd have to swivel my head around more as opposed to just my eyes, but I guess that's kind of the point and would probably add more immersion. But hell, if I'm looking for that kind of immersion I'll probably just turn to vorpx and my vive.

There is certainly a sweet spot for these things. For me, a PC gaming display can be upwards of 49-55". This gives good immersion but doesn't require head turning. At least, not for me. Your height, chair height, desk height, monitor mounting options, etc. all factor in here. I'd like to drop my monitor a couple inches to make it a bit better. At normal desk viewing distances this works pretty well. For productivity I think 43" is perfect and 48"-49" is pushing it. People with better eyes sometimes go upwards of 55", but I find the pixel pitch is too shitty at that point.

49" Samsung Ultra wide. While not a great general purpose gaming monitor, it is amazing in the right applications

setup.jpg

27" @ 1080p 1ms BenQ for PC
50" @1080p Toshiba LED TV for consoles

My vision is not what it used to be so 1080p still suits me well. A little extra AA when sitting close to monitor and i'm set.

I also enjoy the fact my overclocked 980ti will carry me until Ray Tracing matures.

Anyrhing bigger is just too big for pc

Tv consoles are either 50 in plasma for 32in lcd.

32" HP Omen 1440P with 1070ti. Great display for the price, especially when on sale ($250 Black Friday)

I don't even think i could live with a 21.5 for a work screen at this point.
My Eizo FG2421 is a bit over that at 23.5", and even that seems rather small for my usual viewing distance a few feet away.

I'm wishing for a 27" or 32" on this desk already, but the budget for such a monitor with 144 Hz G-SYNC and a non-TN panel is just way out of my reach at the moment.

Currently using a 34" monitor, and it's quite enjoyable, but, I might just go back to a more typical aspect ratio 32" for my next display.

Currently 27" 2560x1440 (Asus PB277Q LCD). Before that I used a 32 inch 720p Samsung TV which I downgraded to when I moved everything to a desk environment from a living room environment where I had used a 42" 1080p Samsung TV for years. (42" is still in use for media on a stand above my monitor. Sits pretty high but nice view from bed.)
I guess I'm not overly picky because I've found them all to be acceptable, even surprisingly the 32" with all those pixels up in my face! Have to say I love this Asus monitor though.

32 inch Philips 326M freesync, Sceptre 32" 1080p for movie watching, 32inch Dell 1080p for work. will not go smaller now that I went to 32"

Wow, you guys really think 21" is "pushing it?" ... LMAO ... wow.

That's like looking at a cell phone screen for me.

49" KS8000 here being pushed by a 2080 Ti. Nothing better.

I have friends tell me it's too big. I tell them, no, it's no different than when someone uses 3 x monitors .. the difference is, I don't have bezels lol. It always shuts them up.

Samsung CFG70, 23.5 inch VA Quantum Dot 1080p 144 Hz FreeSync. I won't be buying anything less than VA 144 Hz with Quantum Dots ever again.

If only it were 1440p or 4K @ 27 inches and GSync, then it would be the perfect monitor for me!

I use three Dell 27" U2717D 2560x1440, they are a slight upgrade from my three 27" 1080P displays (also from Dell)

27" is the largest display my triple monitor stand will support

Back