How big is ETH block chain? Downloading over 2 weeks!

jfreund

[H]ard|Gawd
I started downloading the Ethereum block chain on June 7. As of this AM it's on block 391XXX and 36+ GB of disk space. I'm on cable that routinely tests 175Mb download, and the PC is on 802.11ac at 833Mb (still need to run Cat6 through the house).

Is this close to normal?

Why are you downloading the entire thing? If you're just mining, you definitely don't have to do that, and even for the purposes of making transactions there's a switch when invoking the console that lets you skip to the end.

The only reason to run a full node is if you want to contribute somehow or run a local pool etc.

I was following the guide at CryptoCompare that states

You need to tell your Geth Program to start communicating with the rest of the Ethereum network. You do this by typing in "geth --rpc" - this should look like "C:\>geth --rpc" (on the latest version you should try: geth --rpc --fast --cache=1024) Press enter and the screen should start downloading the blockchain for Ethereum - at this point you are synchronising with the rest of the Ethereum network. This can take a while depending on your internet speed and the current size of the blockchain, anywhere between 20 min and multiple hours.

Are you trying to solo mine then? What kind of setup do you have?
I know it takes a lot of GPUs to make solo mining worthwhile. First I have to figure out the software setup, then I can join a pool. Once I see what kind of returns I get for whatever hash rate I have, I can decide if it's worth investment.

You definitely don't need to be downloading anything other than claymore's latest miner then.

Back