How Bethesda Quickly Fell From Grace In One Year

Fallout 76 was doomed from the get go, they should have known. They need to use it as a learning experience and move on. Anyways, I hope they don't shit the bed on TES6.
They won't learn. The Fallout 1st bs is proof that they learned nothing.

I stopped caring about Bethesda when they announced ESO would be F2P after it was long assumed it would be subscription-only. A toxic community of anti-social troglodytes and griefers is the result, but that's ok as long as they keep buying shit from the crown store.

What? I might not have played Oblivion or Skyrim for years, but my memory isn't that bad! They were first person games last I checked.

Interesting. Wikipedia says it is playable from either Third or First person perspectives.

I distinctly remember it being 3rd person and hating it, but to be fair, I probably wasn't going to give it much of a chance anyway, because it was in the Fantasy genre.

I guess this supports my use of the qualifier "most" in my earlier post. I think he's confusing the new Wolfenstein series with Return to Castle Wolfenstein as I assume "RTCW:NC" is referring to Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. But RTCW was developed by Grey Matter Interactive and published by Activision while the new series is developed by MachineGames and published by Bethesda.

Well, you never addressed it in your reply. Someone had to step in.

I had to google RTCW:NC but it turned up nothing. I guess New Colossus must be it.

I'm a dolt, yes I meant New Colossus. I'll step away in embarrassment now.

Meh.

I thought Doom 2016 was better than I was expecting. I got a good nostalgia kick out of it.

There is no hiding the fact that the old school unrealistic run and gun / space marine / "deathmatch" type FPS games haven't aged well.

I have a lot of great memories of Quake and Doom from back in the 90's, but quite frankly, by the time Q3A came out this type of game bored me to tears. The only thing it has going for it today is a fun little nostalgia kick.

Honestly I think those games are still good. I was really looking forward to the new UT reviving the genre and making it semi-popular again. Then Fortnite came and ruined everything.

Interesting. Wikipedia says it is playable from either Third or First person perspectives..
Yes you could switch to external camera but it was never meant to be played that way, it was terrible in that view. but it was great for doing screenshots of your badass character.

The Elder Scrolls games have always been first person. That's how they were designed to be played. Skyrim allowed for a third person mode but it's not it's native play style.

Bethesda as a developer was highly respected because they've been making huge, complex, open world RPGs since the early 90s (1994 to be exact). It wasn't until the eventual mass popularity of Oblivion for consoles in 2006 and the Fallout fiasco shortly after that they started becoming the greedy pieces of shit they are today. While Morrowind was on Xbox Oblivion was their first game designed from the ground up with consoles in mind and it's a noticeable difference. I've been a huge fan of their work for as long as they've been releasing games but their games have never been easy, user friendly or well optimized.

I personally don't think they've made a game that I would consider anything more than Mediocre since Morrowind. What they do and have created is fantastic geographical worlds and an amazing canvas for modders to work in. The geography of their games are second to none and actually feel like they could be real places, not video game versions of places. This gives modders some amazing starting points to build on. Unfortunately their character artists, animators and writers are some of the worst in the industry in their given field.

I still don't understand how their games are so popular on consoles. I consider modern day Bethesda to be some of the laziest most uninspired game developers in the industry. Once they found the " console sweet spot" of open world RPGs with Oblivion and realised that moders would do all the heavy lifting for free on the PC side they stopped doing anything more than the bare minimum needed to launch a functional game.

They must have 2 sets of writers, those who establish background lore and the short story books you pick up. That part is deep. Then there is writers for the main quest who seem to have an objective to dumb things down.

Oblivion was such a let down after Morrowind. I played the shit out of Morrowind even before I discovered mods for it. Then I discovered mods and played it a shit ton more. Oblivion I pre-ordered and skipped work the day it came out but I have never been able to finish it again after my first run. It was the most beautiful game I have ever played at that time but it felt so hollow. I spent more time making mods for it and installing mods to make it prettier than I've actually played it. Then FO3 came out and it felt exactly the same. After that I stopped buying Bethesda games on release day and waited for reviews first. Turned out to be a good policy as I haven't bought a Bethesda developed game since.

Morrowind was one of the most positively memorable gaming experiences I ever had. So much fun back then, great immersion.

I can't find myself hating Bethesda yet, and still find myself excited for their singleplayer games. Their multiplayer attempts have been less than stellar, mind you.

With that said, Fallout 4 is their first singleplayer game where I didn't finish it. Just lost interest and was in the final stretch of the game so it's not like I didn't play long enough for the 'hook'.

Bethesda is the publisher while id is the developer. Most people here are smart enough to know the difference (I would hope). We all talk about id in relation to Doom, not Bethesda.

I dunno. ID and Bethesda are becoming like that old 'Pepsi vs Coke' commercial; "What's the difference?" Feels like Bethesda and ID share a lot of the same talent/talking heads to me, which could probably get me punched saying that in the wrong crowd.

I don't think Doom was worthy of all that praise in the first place. #changemymind
It was boring, and felt more like Quake than Doom.

I don't know if I'd consider the game boring (felt like the game was always throwing something your way). It did get repetitive in spots, I'd agree to that. I spent a good chunk of my childhood playing the original DooM games, and fanboyed over a lot of the new Doom's nods to that game.

Interesting. Wikipedia says it is playable from either Third or First person perspectives.

I distinctly remember it being 3rd person and hating it, but to be fair, I probably wasn't going to give it much of a chance anyway, because it was in the Fantasy genre.

You can do both and I play primarily in First Person, but there are, IIRC some things that force third person view. Though, they aren't a problem for me. I prefer first person view in battles/shooting (arrows) and for all of those purposes first person worked, but sometimes running around you'd have to switch to third person view for whatever reason.

I'll never understand people who will only play games in first or third person. Or people who hate an entire genre. Except people who hate visual novels. I totally understand them.

I'll never understand people who will only play games in first or third person. Or people who hate an entire genre. Except people who hate visual novels. I totally understand them.

Hate is a very strong world, and doesn't reflect my feelings at all.

I personally get no joy from Fantasy because I find it to be too much of a suspense of disbelief to be enjoyable. I love science fiction, because at least there, when done right, there is a somewhat plausible future scientific development explanation. As soon as you throw in wizards, magic and shit, I'm out. I'm OK with weird species in a futuristic setting, as they may be from other planets, but put orcs, elves, dwarves, etc. in a historic setting, and I'm out.

This also helps explain why I love Star Trek, but am lukewarm on Star Wars. Remove "the force" and it becomes much better. Magic doesn't exist.

Same with 3rd person. I don't run around the world seeing it from slightly to the right and behind my own head, and thus I find this perspective uninteresting in games as I can't live in to it at all.

This doesn't mean I hate them. If people are in to those things, have at it and enjoy. I just find them to be an uninteresting waste of my time. The worst I'll probably call them is "silly".

Last edited:
Back