How Bad is Comcast in 2021?

I have Comcast internet. 250mb service. Thats all I need right now. My service has been rock solid for several years. Up until now, I recently had problems with internet always going down. The stupid cable modem was the issue, and I had it replaced. Things are better now, but now I'm gonna just buy my own cable modem. Surprising they are Cisco modems, and usually cisco products are good.

Same situation for me...Either Comcast or Verizon DSL...
Went with Comcast Business; 200 downstream / 20 upstream for $99 monthly. ( internet only ).
My last renewal i dropped voice...turned in their equipment and bought my own modem off their approved modem list..
Haven't had any issues

I was buying my modems, but they arent lasting more than 1.5 years. So...I am back to renting Comcasts modem again

I've had comcast since 2005, I've been a happy customer. Just upgraded to 800/20 for 40 bucks a month, which is slightly insane to me ( despite my profession I'm a light internet user so I usually get the basement tier ).

Still should be cheaper then leasing their modems. At $15/month you are paying $180 a year for it.
Yeah I know, but Ive spent SOOO much in the last 4 months on PC stuff i cant budget another modem that the companies wont repair when it fails again within warranty
I've had comcast since 2005, I've been a happy customer. Just upgraded to 800/20 for 40 bucks a month, which is slightly insane to me ( despite my profession I'm a light internet user so I usually get the basement tier ).
My other issue with comcast (besides it crashing constantly for last 9 yrs) is my capped 5mb upload speed. Not sure why that is.

Yeah I know, but Ive spent SOOO much in the last 4 months on PC stuff i cant budget another modem that the companies wont repair when it fails again within warranty

My other issue with comcast (besides it crashing constantly for last 9 yrs) is my capped 5mb upload speed. Not sure why that is.
Ya, I think it's regional. I've never had consistent issues like that. Oh, here and there sure, but they get it fixed relatively quickly.

The only time you won't have many issues with Comcast / Xfinity is when they have competition in the same area. If they are alone / monopoly, they will dick you around on service, pricing and anything else they can get away with.

I hope that's not the case OP but if it is, get ready to spend hours on the phone every year or however long the contracts last nowadays.

The only time you won't have many issues with Comcast / Xfinity is when they have competition in the same area. If they are alone / monopoly, they will dick you around on service, pricing and anything else they can get away with.

I hope that's not the case OP but if it is, get ready to spend hours on the phone every year or however long the contracts last nowadays.
Definitely a monopoly here, unless I want DSL lol

I don't think i've ever had a modem die on me, my last two modems worked fine until their very last day, i just upgraded because I wanted more bandwidth than they able to utulize. (All Arris.)

Of course, I also keep my modems like this. It's amazing what a 140mm fan will do for stability. (It has blue LEDs because it's literally just a super old fan that I had sitting in a closet. It's powered by a USB to fan adapter.)
1626391239821.png

I suppose. Just never have seen it. What modems were you using?
Motorola MG7550
The Wi-Fi was always crashing and really weak when it wasn't working.

I can't remember what the previous one was

I have a love/hate relationship with Comcast.

I hate that I pay $25 extra to get the unlimited bandwidth that was included in every package just a few years ago, I hate their untrained customer service reps, and I hate the way my rates change every year due to pricing structure changes. Mostly, I hate the monopoly they are allowed to hold over me (and millions of others).

However, I love the actual service. I never have line issues, downtime, or speed problems.

I have a love/hate relationship with Comcast.

I hate that I pay $25 extra to get the unlimited bandwidth that was included in every package just a few years ago, I hate their untrained customer service reps, and I hate the way my rates change every year due to pricing structure changes. Mostly, I hate the monopoly they are allowed to hold over me (and millions of others).

However, I love the actual service. I never have line issues, downtime, or speed problems.
Agreed on all accounts except the spotty internet I've gotten over the last 9 years here.
I've often wondered if my modem issues were as a result of Comcast sabotaging them or something with their lines that burns out my modems. Comcast modems never last either. I was replacing those every 4-6 months or so months until I bought mine that lasted for a year and a half.

Agreed on all accounts except the spotty internet I've gotten over the last 9 years here.
I've often wondered if my modem issues were as a result of Comcast sabotaging them or something with their lines that burns out my modems. Comcast modems never last either. I was replacing those every 4-6 months or so months until I bought mine that lasted for a year and a half.
Do you happen to live in a state/area with a lot of thunderstorms? When I lived in Texas, thunderstorms often killed my cable modems, but the past 10 years in Oregon I've had zero modem issues.

Do you happen to live in a state/area with a lot of thunderstorms? When I lived in Texas, thunderstorms often killed my cable modems, but the past 10 years in Oregon I've had zero modem issues.
No Im in california.
They came out to my place many times to troubleshoot. A few times they told me they were running new lines in my area soon and it will all be resolved, but they never did AFAIK.
They did run new line from distron on my street to the green dome in my lawn and from that to my house and inside. It worked great after that for almost a year.

Motorola MG7550
The Wi-Fi was always crashing and really weak when it wasn't working.

I can't remember what the previous one was

Ahh got it.

Combination modem and WiFi router.

My preference is never combining the two functions. My Motorola modem has been rock solid and never had an issue.

Ahh got it.

Combination modem and WiFi router.

My preference is never combining the two functions. My Motorola modem has been rock solid and never had an issue.
Yeah i know i should have gone with separate pieces now. Being cheap i guess.
Next time I'll go that route

Reactions: Gavv
like this
No Im in california.
They came out to my place many times to troubleshoot. A few times they told me they were running new lines in my area soon and it will all be resolved, but they never did AFAIK.
They did run new line from distron on my street to the green dome in my lawn and from that to my house and inside. It worked great after that for almost a year.
Definitely sounds like you need some serious line maintenance - I'd hound them day and night if they are your only option, and get neighbors onboard to do the same. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

When I lived in Texas, I was 10 miles from the nearest town, so dial-up was my only option for a long time. One year, for reasons unknown to me, the phone company (AT&T) began running fiber from the city out into the rural area in the direction of my house. It took a couple of years, but they stopped less than a mile from me at a big new box. After some research, I determined it was a remote terminal, and since it was fed by fiber, it could provide DSL. 3mbps DSL vs 19.2k dial-up? Hell yes. The address checker on AT&T's website said DSL was available at my address.

For the first year, I called them weekly, and was consistently told that while I was in range, the remote terminal was not active yet but would be active very soon. From that point I called them daily. Eventually I was told the remote terminal was active, but I was too far from it. I continued to hound them until they sent out engineers in golf carts to physically measure the distance, but was told the same thing - too far. Fed up, I finally filed complaints with the FCC, and BBB. 3 days later a package arrived with a modem/self install kit. I connected it, and used my 3mbps (highest speed offered at the time) DSL for years without an issue, not one.

TLDR - Call them, harass them, file complaints with the FCC/BBB, and just make so much noise they can't ignore you - they will act. You're paying them, after all.

Interesting. I still wonder if any isp will ever use it with 2.5Gbps here.

AT&T Fiber is supposedly working on a 2.5 Gbps speed tier that should start being trialed soon, then to 5 Gbps as well. The newest modem/router they use has a 5Gbps rated ethernet port along with 3 rated for 1Gbps as normal. Now, I don't of course know where or when they will start trialing this, but there are talks of it.

Definitely sounds like you need some serious line maintenance - I'd hound them day and night if they are your only option, and get neighbors onboard to do the same. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

When I lived in Texas, I was 10 miles from the nearest town, so dial-up was my only option for a long time. One year, for reasons unknown to me, the phone company (AT&T) began running fiber from the city out into the rural area in the direction of my house. It took a couple of years, but they stopped less than a mile from me at a big new box. After some research, I determined it was a remote terminal, and since it was fed by fiber, it could provide DSL. 3mbps DSL vs 19.2k dial-up? Hell yes. The address checker on AT&T's website said DSL was available at my address.

For the first year, I called them weekly, and was consistently told that while I was in range, the remote terminal was not active yet but would be active very soon. From that point I called them daily. Eventually I was told the remote terminal was active, but I was too far from it. I continued to hound them until they sent out engineers in golf carts to physically measure the distance, but was told the same thing - too far. Fed up, I finally filed complaints with the FCC, and BBB. 3 days later a package arrived with a modem/self install kit. I connected it, and used my 3mbps (highest speed offered at the time) DSL for years without an issue, not one.

TLDR - Call them, harass them, file complaints with the FCC/BBB, and just make so much noise they can't ignore you - they will act. You're paying them, after all.
I remember AOL and NetZero dial-up.
I should have reported them for their shitty service yrs ago.
I remember trying to DL music from Torrents long ago on dial up 😂

Reactions: Gavv
like this
Comcast, for me in the San Francisco Bay Area, has been the worst service I have ever received off and on for the last 20 years. Constantly having service interruptions, extreme bandwidth drops at peak times and all around crappy service when I had to talk to a human. Never again, if I can avoid them. I am really lucky AT&T Gigabit is at my location and so far as been flawless.

Comcast, for me in the San Francisco Bay Area, has been the worst service I have ever received off and on for the last 20 years. Constantly having service interruptions, extreme bandwidth drops at peak times and all around crappy service when I had to talk to a human. Never again, if I can avoid them. I am really lucky AT&T Gigabit is at my location and so far as been flawless.
I cant get away from Comcast here. Its either that or local phone company DSL and 30mb/s for the same or more money than I pay for 200mb/s.
AT&T always soon I will be in their coverage area, but thats been over 10yrs since I started calling them to check

Back