How are you guys liking Windows 8 so far?

No offense but that's pretty narrow minded, dismissing legitimate criticisms and concerns about the O/S as "pessimism" for the sake of being "cool". I've got easily 300 hours into Win8 beginning with the earliest betas available on TechNet last year and even with a few weeks into the RTM now forcing myself to use it as a daily driver, hoping for that "a-ha" moment where the migraines melt away, that just hasn't happened. Abso-fkking-lutely hate it.

I think people just can't understand why the biggest pushback and criticism isn't even coming from the expected external sources like Linux or Apple fanboys trying to trololol comment sections, but Microsoft's biggest proponents and fans that have been with them since MS-DOS's earliest days (I've got 28 years into MS myself and no Apple device is even allowed in my house), who are now unhappy being force-fed a dumbed-down "Lifestyle" tablet interface, the total and complete hijacking of the desktop by essentially sidebar gadgets made fullscreen and monochrome. And people have to deal with it or use third party tools to circumvent to an extent, if they simply want the under-the-hood improvements to the kernel, memory handling, better performance of regular windows apps, etc.

It's encouraging that some people have convinced themselves they like it - and maybe they really do - but the big picture here is this is an O/S in crisis. MS has really dug a hole and simply hiding their heads in the sand is going to cost them, especially in enterprise.. If you thought the "PC's shipping with Vista but bundled with optional XP downgrade" epidemic that MS was forced to relent to was the mark of a blunder, Win8 will be hundreds of times worse than that. Even Microsoft OEM's and hardware partners are already building their own Start menu replacements -- their PARTNERS.

MS is in for a bumpy ride the next 6 months as adoption rate remains poor to stagnant (not my words - that's pretty much every analyst everywhere).

I haven't used windows 8 much yet, but what exactly do you hate about it?
From what I could tell it should be just as easy to use as windows 7, except that there is the metro thing instead of the start menu. But is that really such a big deal? I mean in windows 7 I rarely even use the start button/menu. The only time I even open it is to search for a program using the search box.
The desktop functionality is the same isn't it?

I guess I'll have to spend some more time with it first, but I don't see what's so bad about it.

No offense but that's pretty narrow minded, dismissing legitimate criticisms and concerns about the O/S as "pessimism" for the sake of being "cool". I've got easily 300 hours into Win8 beginning with the earliest betas available on TechNet last year and even with a few weeks into the RTM now forcing myself to use it as a daily driver, hoping for that "a-ha" moment where the migraines melt away, that just hasn't happened. Abso-fkking-lutely hate it.

I think people just can't understand why the biggest pushback and criticism isn't even coming from the expected external sources like Linux or Apple fanboys trying to trololol comment sections, but Microsoft's biggest proponents and fans that have been with them since MS-DOS's earliest days (I've got 28 years into MS myself and no Apple device is even allowed in my house), who are now unhappy being force-fed a dumbed-down "Lifestyle" tablet interface, the total and complete hijacking of the desktop by essentially sidebar gadgets made fullscreen and monochrome. And people have to deal with it or use third party tools to circumvent to an extent, if they simply want the under-the-hood improvements to the kernel, memory handling, better performance of regular windows apps, etc.

It's encouraging that some people have convinced themselves they like it - and maybe they really do - but the big picture here is this is an O/S in crisis. MS has really dug a hole and simply hiding their heads in the sand is going to cost them, especially in enterprise.. If you thought the "PC's shipping with Vista but bundled with optional XP downgrade" epidemic that MS was forced to relent to was the mark of a blunder, Win8 will be hundreds of times worse than that. Even Microsoft OEM's and hardware partners are already building their own Start menu replacements -- their PARTNERS.

MS is in for a bumpy ride the next 6 months as adoption rate remains poor to stagnant (not my words - that's pretty much every analyst everywhere).

Let me get this right..you pin your apps to the start screen, you click the start screen hot spot, then click your app, and this causes you...migraines? Well, a person can get migraines by being karate chopped to the head by Chuck Norris, or by a room being painted a shade off from what they like so it doesn't say much anyway, this case seems closer to latter. An opinion is fine, but is that all we should argue? I've laid out how trivially different Win 8 is in actual usage, and you are just going to continue to post "but I hate it!" Someone above me asked 'why do you hate it' - I would go further and ask, why should the average user hate it, because individuals can be super finicky. If you wish, Modern UI (or Metro UI) can be used almost exactly like Windows 7's start menu, so what's the technical reason it's bad? I've also used MS OS's for 20+ years, so it's not like I like Win 8 because I've never used a computer before it.

'Their partners' making start menu replacements doesn't mean much, it's not some high school clique where you can't talk to outsiders without someone being totally destroyed or something. They see a potential market niche and go after it, I don't blame them even though I really like the start screen. Or they're run by people who are like people I've seen on the internet, hating Windows 8 almost universally without technical reasons. Anyway, a bumpy ride for MS may mean 16 billion dollars revenue instead of 17 billion dollars and that would mostly be imo because of ipad and android momentum, as opposed to lack of effort into Windows 8. I'd love to have that kind of bumpy ride personally...

So what kind of driver issues have people been having with win8 (besides the eyefinity thing)?

I'm thinking of installing it on my desktop, but my system is about 3 years old, and I'm a bit worried about getting everything running.
I had a lot of trouble installing a new 2.5TB drive the other day (on windows 7). I guess because my motherboard is a bit old.

Mostly everything for my laptop, lol. Good news is that Samsung is supporting my model for Windows 8 according to this (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/win8upgrade/index.html) so I'm just gonna have to play the waiting game at the moment. For desktop, the only issue I have is getting my X-Fi Titanium HD drivers and software to work properly. That, I am waiting for custom driver/software as well since creative is known for dropping support for their products prematurely.

[edit] Actually, Samsung has an updating program out today, I'll report back later today how that works out.

It's encouraging that some people have convinced themselves they like it

That's the part the 'pro' camp gets their panties in a bunch over. You just made a rant how the 'pro' camp cannot consider how people don't like Win 8, yet you just did the same thing in how you said that. 'Convinced'. I'm in that camp and not 'convinced.' I have zero issues getting around with the mouse or keyboard as I've always done for years. You move the mouse, you click the tile/icon, what's the issue? See? I'm 'convinced' people moan about that part because they take a look at the Start Screen, freak out and go looking for things to assign problems with.

And yes I was a wee lad with a 486 with a math co processor making boot disks with all sorts of config.sys and autoexecs for those damn games that wanted 628KB yet required mouse, sound and cd-rom drivers.

Even Microsoft OEM's and hardware partners are already building their own Start menu replacements -- their PARTNERS.

I got an Asus ROG laptop back near the end of summer (I might like Win8 but I wanted a 660m GTX more than any touchscreen) and one of the taskbar items was this Asus ROG Center. It was a bland launchpad of sorts of mostly Asus's preloaded stuff and some other things like Control Panel. There was something similar on my really old Dell that had WinXP on it. The wife's HP had something like that on her preinstall of Vista.

My point is the MS partners have been making Start replacements for years. Whoopty shit. If they make one that you prefer better, that's cool. Plus there's all sorts of freebie ones out there. I bet Classic Shell will be a lot better than whatever Samsung throws together. Hell people voluntarily use Rainmaker dispite their love of the aged Start Menu. Hyperbole...

I'm 'convinced' people moan about that part because they take a look at the Start Screen, freak out and go looking for things to assign problems with.

Your post gave me a few chuckles, but I wanted to add something to this snippet. I agree with this, I think most of the complainers see the start screen and get it in their mind somehow that their PC is now a giant overpriced iPad. This couldn't be further from the truth of course, it's more like an iPad + Windows 7, with as much power and ease of use as both of those systems, combined into one. Personally I see it as the biggest innovation MS has ever accomplished, some people are going to hate it anyway just because it's MS, but I wish the more enlightened people would see their fallacy.

That's the part the 'pro' camp gets their panties in a bunch over. You just made a rant how the 'pro' camp cannot consider how people don't like Win 8, yet you just did the same thing in how you said that. 'Convinced'. I'm in that camp and not 'convinced.' I have zero issues getting around with the mouse or keyboard as I've always done for years. You move the mouse, you click the tile/icon, what's the issue? See? I'm 'convinced' people moan about that part because they take a look at the Start Screen, freak out and go looking for things to assign problems with.
See, you've pointed out how its similar to the old start menu in function, but you've failed to talk about how it actually improves anything. Is there anything better about the start screen vs the old GUI? Just because it functions in the same basic manner (and really, aren't ALL desktop GUI's point and click?) doesn't mean its better, or even the same at all. Different organization and different usage patterns are what make or break a GUI. People like you talk about how its not so different, but the devil is really in the details. If I have to perform 3 steps now instead of 2 to perform the same basic function, thats WORSE, no matter how pretty the new GUI is.

Also, live updating tiles are the same as desktop widgets or gadgets, only now I have to go around them to go to the desktop, so don't try to sell me on that one either.

devil22 said:
Your post gave me a few chuckles, but I wanted to add something to this snippet. I agree with this, I think most of the complainers see the start screen and get it in their mind somehow that their PC is now a giant overpriced iPad. This couldn't be further from the truth of course, it's more like an iPad + Windows 7, with as much power and ease of use as both of those systems, combined into one. Personally I see it as the biggest innovation MS has ever accomplished, some people are going to hate it anyway just because it's MS, but I wish the more enlightened people would see their fallacy
You are the biggest MS apologist I have ever experienced in all my time on the internet. I hate metro, but I'm also not an idiot, I know its not a giant iPad.. but I'm also questioning why the "iPad + Windows 7", as you put it, is even remotely a good thing. The iOS functions the way it does because you have to make compromises to work with a touch interface. Thats not an issue on the desktop. I fail to see anything that makes metro UI more functional for the desktop than Aero, or rather, anything that couldn't be integrated just as well into an updated Aero-like UI. Why break from the precedent set by 20 years of GUI design? Something that has been ingrained in a whole generation of users from birth at this point, and something that has made MS a huge success shouldn't be dismissed simply because they're losing marketshare to tablets. This is classic microsoft misunderstanding the market they're playing in

See, you've pointed out how its similar to the old start menu in function, but you've failed to talk about how it actually improves anything. Is there anything better about the start screen vs the old GUI? Just because it functions in the same basic manner (and really, aren't ALL desktop GUI's point and click?) doesn't mean its better, or even the same at all. Different organization and different usage patterns are what make or break a GUI. People like you talk about how its not so different, but the devil is really in the details. If I have to perform 3 steps now instead of 2 to perform the same basic function, thats WORSE, no matter how pretty the new GUI is.

Also, live updating tiles are the same as desktop widgets or gadgets, only now I have to go around them to go to the desktop, so don't try to sell me on that one either.

If you accept that it functions in the same basic manner, then why do you complain about it? The function it serves, at the bare minimum, is to allow touch screen desktops and tablets to use the same OS simplifying development and allowing a consistent user experience across all devices. You talk of performing more steps, but where? I open every app I have in 2 clicks, to do the same in Windows 7's start menu would require 4 at a minimum, except the 5 or so that can be pinned to the start menu, and I have more than 10 programs. How do you go around a live updating tile to go to the desktop? Whether you have live tiles or not, you just click in the lower left or press the windows key to get to the desktop, please stop inventing 'issues'. Anyways, live updating tile apps are much better than gadgets, widgets and tray apps, etc. because they are vetted, rated, organized, and sandboxed on the system. This means they can not destroy your install, mess with other apps, or infect you. Sounds like a small checkbox when I put it like that, but I imagine huge productivity boosts when users are getting a lot of their apps from the Win 8 store and not having their installs trashed because they downloaded some crapware/adware/malware from the web.

You are the biggest MS apologist I have ever experienced in all my time on the internet.

I imagine there have been many people called apologists in history who were right besides myself, but high marks for the scary ad hom.

I hate metro, but I'm also not an idiot, I know its not a giant iPad.. but I'm also questioning why the "iPad + Windows 7", as you put it, is even remotely a good thing. The iOS functions the way it does because you have to make compromises to work with a touch interface. Thats not an issue on the desktop. I fail to see anything that makes metro UI more functional for the desktop than Aero, or rather, anything that couldn't be integrated just as well into an updated Aero-like UI. Why break from the precedent set by 20 years of GUI design? Something that has been ingrained in a whole generation of users from birth at this point, and something that has made MS a huge success shouldn't be dismissed simply because they're losing marketshare to tablets. This is classic microsoft misunderstanding the market they're playing in

20 years of GUI design, that is declining compared to tablets and other mobile devices. Geez, all I heard previously were complaints of lack of innovation, finally MS does something no one else does and every says "stay with the tried and true!" On the desktop live tiles are a potentially huge plus (as explained previously above, and in many other posts), other than that, what can someone say to someone who says 'it functions in the same basic way but I don't like it' as you have basically said. Win 8 will be the default OS on new PCs, if it works in the same basic way, as you yourself said, then how does it hurt? I like the 2-clicks to run all my apps, lots of useful information from safe Modern App gadgets, and all the under the hood improvements. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I never found the Start Menu any better than icons all over your screen, the ONLY advantages was it could be all done with just the keyboard and assuming all of your installed programs made a shortcut to the Start Menu you could eventually find them all if you peeked into every level. For myself, I like the double layered Start Screen with my most used crap in front and then I can go hunt with my mouse for anything else not there if I need to. I like it better then how it's all jammed on the Menu. It's not so different, the devil is in perception and agenda. I'm assuming from your mention of usage patterns that you rely heavily on memory muscle. Maybe I'm different having to keep jumping to different workstations but nobody at my work seems to place the toolbars in the same spot so I have no such luxury.

As for the 3 vs 2 clicks, does the shortcut to Shutdown.exe -s -t 00 no longer work or what? Seriously, I don't know. If it does I can't see how double clicking that on the desktop or two clicks to get to the Start Screen and then the shortcut would be a burden.

I hated widgets with a passion. Now I don't mind the Live Tiles. In fact missed them waiting for the launch. I'm not sure why.

You'd think that since there are basically two interfaces in Win8 and you can pretty much choose the new, or old way of doing things, or BOTH, that everyone would be happy.

I'm pretty sure that's what MS was going for anyway.

I think a lot of the 'issues' that people are having will get ironed out, improved upon, or simply forgotten about in the coming months. People will either adapt, or make the OS adapt. The fact that there are already a number of custom start menu or metro replacements out there is proof of that.

Will I be able to do a clean install and activate using the Windows 8 key if I created a bootable usb?

I'm doing this at work, and we haven't received our physical copies yet so I jumped the gun and got the upgrade for 16bucks.

Wondering if I can install it on my laptop cleanly.

For those that want the start button back you are not seeing the point of Windows 8. Their goal is something new. I can't sell you something new if I make it familiar to you. This is Microsoft's break from the old recreating themselves anew. One of the bad things about windows was that it was familiar and always the same. All they ever did was just spruce it up and eye candy. This is business 101 you don't stay the same all the time. Same reason why every couple years car manufacturers redesign their lines.

I think Microsoft has indeed cast aside the fear of just staying the same straight line company and is now adventurous trying new things. Yes it has pissed some of you off and they expected that, but for us that are risk takers and for us that are not bound by the comfort of familiarity it draws us as new customers. I don't follow trends I set my own and I love to be different than the majority. So the more of you that moves to linux and apple the more it makes me a standout for staying.

I'm glad Microsoft has started to be a rebel and do what they want to do. I don't care about the start button as I didn't use it that much anyway so i don't see what all the whining and crying is about. Why can't it go straight to the desktop? wahhhhhhhhhh

The same people, the same critics, the same bloggers....what was said before windows 8? Lets see MS is a dinosaur, it is old and stagnant, they never make big changes just play it safe, windows is a relic of the past, apple innovates I hope MS dies!!!! LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

After windows 8 announcement? duhhh why they changing things, I can't recognize it, they changed it to much :confused:, Its not familiar anymore :eek:, the start button is replaced with a start screen :eek:, This is not innovation, They just killed kenny and windows :eek: LMAOOOOOOOOO :p :rolleyes:

And you wonder why some people don't take you seriously. Because your shown yourselves to be hypocrites and liars to even your own being. IF you don't like what is happening then you have things clled choices. Apple, Linux, and chrome OS is a few of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll play with it a bit more to see if I should buy a MS touch mouse to use it on the desktop later.

Logitech also released some new mice and a touchpad, for use with Windows 8. I think any of them would probably make the Windows 8 experience much better, compared to a standard mouse. Here's a YouTube Video, from Logitech, showing them off.

He was asking a question.

I think he got the answer he deserved. But thanks for telling me that a question mark implies a question, what would the world do without wonderfield, I shudder to think..

Last edited:
Compliments on your thorough and reasoned arguments. :rolleyes:

awwww a bit touchy aren't we? well since it's so important to you.

I've used the Consumer preview since it was released. it's on a laptop I use daily ( I will use it today as I do everyday when I get home). I don't like it. I am not so opposed to change as I am drastic change that brings no merit. it feels like change for the sake of change. not a change that is incremental and has function. that's just my opinion though. you're allowed to have yours. hell, you're even allowed to disagree with me which I'm sure you will.

awwww a bit touchy aren't we? well since it's so important to you.

I've used the Consumer preview since it was released. it's on a laptop I use daily ( I will use it today as I do everyday when I get home). I don't like it. I am not so opposed to change as I am drastic change that brings no merit. it feels like change for the sake of change. not a change that is incremental and has function. that's just my opinion though. you're allowed to have yours. hell, you're even allowed to disagree with me which I'm sure you will.

OK, now we're getting somewhere..I mean, it's not hard is it? If people disagree, it seems better to post reasons rather than "kill it with fire?" "no! kill your OS with fire!" etc. Moving on.. You say you feel it's change for the sake of change, but why do we need feelings here, there are technical reasons for the change, to have a unified ecosystem across tablets and desktops, have safe gadget type apps for users, and so on. Other than that, it's not really a change, you click the start button, navigate folders, then click your app in Windows 7, in Windows 8, you click the start screen hot spot, click your app. Almost the same thing if that's all you want to do, but I personally see great benefit in the Modern Apps (Metro Apps), from a safety and information monitoring perspective. But I'll spare you a wall of text on that..

If you accept that it functions in the same basic manner, then why do you complain about it? The function it serves, at the bare minimum, is to allow touch screen desktops and tablets to use the same OS simplifying development and allowing a consistent user experience across all devices.
You missed my point that ALL modern desktop GUIs function in the same basic manner, so trying to tell me that the GUI is the same because all you have to do is drag the mouse and click is utter bullshit. It may be "consistent" with other devices but that ignores the idea that the devices are fundamentally different... which they are. What works for one does not necessarily work for the other, and what tries to work for both typically works for neither

Anyways, live updating tile apps are much better than gadgets, widgets and tray apps, etc. because they are vetted, rated, organized, and sandboxed on the system. This means they can not destroy your install, mess with other apps, or infect you. Sounds like a small checkbox when I put it like that, but I imagine huge productivity boosts when users are getting a lot of their apps from the Win 8 store and not having their installs trashed because they downloaded some crapware/adware/malware from the web.
My point remains. Call it what you want "live tile" "gadget" "widget" "tray app" its all the same damn thing: a way of providing information at a glance. Pretending that live tiles are fundamentally different from desktop gadgets is a simple misdirection to justify the Metro UI. If you want to tell me that the gadget implementation in win7 is crap, fine, but they could have updated it for a desktop version of win 8 to function in exactly the same way as the current implementation of live tiles, but within an updated Aero interface. Put in an "app store", vet the widgets/tiles/gadgets, provide first party versions etc, but even then, Metro is not a requirement for the functionality the live tiles provide.

20 years of GUI design, that is declining compared to tablets and other mobile devices. Geez, all I heard previously were complaints of lack of innovation, finally MS does something no one else does and every says "stay with the tried and true!"
There is absolutely no doubt that they needed to do something to get into the tablet space, but to try to unify everything is misguided. It sounds like misinterpretation of the signs is to blame. OSX and iOS share design language, but the GUIs don't work the same way, why does windows 8 have to work the same way as RT? If you have common language and a familiar look, you can use products to sell each other, but it doesn't mean they have to have mirrored functionality
On the desktop live tiles are a potentially huge plus (as explained previously above, and in many other posts)
You have not explained how the live tile is better than a vetted, first party gadget within an aero interface.
other than that, what can someone say to someone who says 'it functions in the same basic way but I don't like it' as you have basically said.
And what can someone say to someone who has said "anyone who doesn't like it is searching for made up issues"?
Win 8 will be the default OS on new PCs, if it works in the same basic way, as you yourself said, then how does it hurt? I like the 2-clicks to run all my apps, lots of useful information from safe Modern App gadgets, and all the under the hood improvements. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Because now I have to learn a new system that serves no functional purpose for me on the desktop simply because Microsoft's inept marketeers can't sell a freakin' tablet or phone. If I wanted the same crappy bullshit force-fed to me, i'd already own a stable of apple products, but I don't.

You missed my point that ALL modern desktop GUIs function in the same basic manner, so trying to tell me that the GUI is the same because all you have to do is drag the mouse and click is utter bullshit. It may be "consistent" with other devices but that ignores the idea that the devices are fundamentally different... which they are. What works for one does not necessarily work for the other, and what tries to work for both typically works for neither

It sounds like you are saying all devices work the same, and they don't. Now maybe you're not, but you should phrase it more clearly, or pick a perspective. It's hard to argue against someone who takes both sides of an issue.

My point remains. Call it what you want "live tile" "gadget" "widget" "tray app" its all the same damn thing: a way of providing information at a glance. Pretending that live tiles are fundamentally different from desktop gadgets is a simple misdirection to justify the Metro UI. If you want to tell me that the gadget implementation in win7 is crap, fine, but they could have updated it for a desktop version of win 8 to function in exactly the same way as the current implementation of live tiles, but within an updated Aero interface. Put in an "app store", vet the widgets/tiles/gadgets, provide first party versions etc, but even then, Metro is not a requirement for the functionality the live tiles provide.

Well, you get a system that is consistent with mobile and touch devices. And what does desktop gadgets add that live tiles don't? Basically, all I can see is that you want to trade tablet/touch compatibility for a system that is incompatible with those devices..just because?

There is absolutely no doubt that they needed to do something to get into the tablet space, but to try to unify everything is misguided. It sounds like misinterpretation of the signs is to blame. OSX and iOS share design language, but the GUIs don't work the same way, why does windows 8 have to work the same way as RT? If you have common language and a familiar look, you can use products to sell each other, but it doesn't mean they have to have mirrored functionality

If Apple did it first, it would be ok for Windows to do it, then?

You have not explained how the live tile is better than a vetted, first party gadget within an aero interface.

Because it makes a consistent user and development (for MS) environment, and it's strange you say this but do not explain why desktop gadgets would be any better.

And what can someone say to someone who has said "anyone who doesn't like it is searching for made up issues"?

You combined two statements I made. One, I said YOU were inventing issues. Two, I said I think most Win 8 haters imagine Windows 8 makes their PC a giant overpriced iPad. Please be accurate when accusing me of something.

Because now I have to learn a new system that serves no functional purpose for me on the desktop simply because Microsoft's inept marketeers can't sell a freakin' tablet or phone. If I wanted the same crappy bullshit force-fed to me, i'd already own a stable of apple products, but I don't.

Windows 8 is trivial to learn. Look at the "3 year old uses Windows 8 thread" (then look at all the post saying Windows 8 is too simple, easy and dumbed down.) There is no kind of consistency in the Win 8 haters, they jump from one position to the opposite with the "wind." You also said you don't think Windows 8 is a giant iPad, then you are here saying you'd own a staple of apple products if you wanted tablet/phone/Metro stuff, so you've contradicted yourself.. Yea, users didn't buy into windows tablets and phones previously, I guess I-crap, android, and mcdonalds all share something in common then?

I have been using it for a few weeks now and my biggest complaint is I feel like I have to take additional steps to get where I'm going. I am getting used to it and I don't really think its as bad as everyone thinks, but Microsoft ALWAYS gets drilled when they try something new. I never understand people complain they want new, fast, unique, they get it and now complain it wasn't like Windows 7....

OK, now we're getting somewhere..I mean, it's not hard is it? If people disagree, it seems better to post reasons rather than "kill it with fire?" "no! kill your OS with fire!" etc. Moving on.. You say you feel it's change for the sake of change, but why do we need feelings here, there are technical reasons for the change, to have a unified ecosystem across tablets and desktops, have safe gadget type apps for users, and so on. Other than that, it's not really a change, you click the start button, navigate folders, then click your app in Windows 7, in Windows 8, you click the start screen hot spot, click your app. Almost the same thing if that's all you want to do, but I personally see great benefit in the Modern Apps (Metro Apps), from a safety and information monitoring perspective. But I'll spare you a wall of text on that..

trouble with that is that it's far less jovial than what it felt like to just say "kill it with fire" a simple and to the the point explanation that I'm not a fan of it. :D

I have been using it for a few weeks now and my biggest complaint is I feel like I have to take additional steps to get where I'm going.
I'm finding that there are typically solutions to these kinds of issues. Not always the best solutions, but still solutions, usually in the form of shortcuts. If you can dominate shortcuts, you can, for the most part, dominate Windows 8.

For those that are struggling with the new interface, perhaps give this a look:
http://lifehacker.com/5955162/how-to-not-get-lost-in-windows-8-the-best-shortcuts-and-tricks

After watching that 3 minute video, it seems pretty easy to get around. It even tells you got to find the shutdown menu without "searching for 30 minutes" ;)

We can go on and on about the new UI and its suitability for keyboard and mouse operation. Overall it's fine, I do the same tasks on my Windows 8 keyboard and mouse machine just as easily as I would on Windows 7. This are different but when you get past that there's just not a big difference in how the desktop truly works.

And yes, I know "But what does it do for the desktop?" Not a lot, as the design of Metro was to balance desktop and touch/tablet operation. If one doesn't like the idea, fine, but Metro does achieve this goal and it was necessary as more and more people use tablets and touch for their computing experiences.

It's just a fundamental change in the market place. If Windows can adapt to this shift, it just becomes less relevant in the consumer and even enterprise space as the enterprise adopts tablets.

trouble with that is that it's far less jovial than what it felt like to just say "kill it with fire" a simple and to the the point explanation that I'm not a fan of it. :D

I'm sure it did. I've just always been a fan of backing up your statements, and allowing others to attack your reasoning. If your reasoning is sound, it will survive any attack and there is no need to hide it, if you have to hide it, it is probably weak.

I have been using it for a few weeks now and my biggest complaint is I feel like I have to take additional steps to get where I'm going. I am getting used to it and I don't really think its as bad as everyone thinks, but Microsoft ALWAYS gets drilled when they try something new. I never understand people complain they want new, fast, unique, they get it and now complain it wasn't like Windows 7....

I will admit I got sucked into the whole hyperbole of XP and what people said about it. I tried to hang on for dear life to 98se. When vista rolled out I figured fuck it I'm not gonna be that guy again and threw myself at vista. it was actually a pretty decent experience aside from being pissed that "add/remove program files" had been changed to "programs and features" but that goes back to what I was telling devil22. changes aren't all bad when you take them in steps. the drastic change with win 8 is not what I'm interested in. seriously trying to find the shutdown menu was far more difficult that it should have been. if the start screen is so much like the start menu (like everyone keeps trrying to drill into my head), then why wasn't shutdown there? who knows.

also as someone who deals with 4 generations of OSes it's a bit much to try to expect people to remember all your changes across the board. I am forced to use XP at work, and 3 of my machines at home are win 7, vista, and win8. if you want to know why my 3 at home aren't all the same I'll put it like this. Vista is no XP. in the 5 maybe 6 (hell I can't recall for sure) that I've had vista I would have had to do a fresh reinstall of xp about once a year. vista is still working. what's the saying? if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Do you have anything specific? Nothing common take me anymore time, maybe less even with lots of shortcuts in the Start Screen and a momentum mouse.

Don't forget the power menu, right click in the bottom left hot corner for that. Also pretty much everything that's in the Start Menu can be setup in the File Explorer.

I'm finding that there are typically solutions to these kinds of issues. Not always the best solutions, but still solutions, usually in the form of shortcuts. If you can dominate shortcuts, you can, for the most part, dominate Windows 8.

This is a good point I want to second. For a lot of things that "pro" users find irritating, there is usually a way to make a shortcut of it.

I will admit I got sucked into the whole hyperbole of XP and what people said about it. I tried to hang on for dear life to 98se. When vista rolled out I figured fuck it I'm not gonna be that guy again and threw myself at vista. it was actually a pretty decent experience aside from being pissed that "add/remove program files" had been changed to "programs and features" but that goes back to what I was telling devil22. changes aren't all bad when you take them in steps. the drastic change with win 8 is not what I'm interested in. seriously trying to find the shutdown menu was far more difficult that it should have been. if the start screen is so much like the start menu (like everyone keeps trrying to drill into my head), then why wasn't shutdown there? who knows.

Well, concerning shutdown, you're an early adopter, and are supposed to hack it out on your own (looking around, using google, reading forums, etc.) Most users will get it with an OEM system (98% about if previous Windows numbers hold), and will get tutorials, instruction manuals, and so on, also by now or soon, there will be many youtube tutorials covering the basics that will probably show that. But that's a one-time issue, that's really not going to be an issue for non-early adopters. Basically you figure out where it is, and you're done (also you can always ctrl-alt-del, I did that within one minute of looking because I knew it was always in that screen previously.) If you're concerned about it anyway, you could always make a shortcut to 'shutdown.exe /s' and pin it in the start screen.

This is a good point I want to second. For a lot of things that "pro" users find irritating, there is usually a way to make a shortcut of it.

Well, concerning shutdown, you're an early adopter, and are supposed to hack it out on your own (looking around, using google, reading forums, etc.) Most users will get it with an OEM system (98% about if previous Windows numbers hold), and will get tutorials, instruction manuals, and so on, also by now or soon, there will be many youtube tutorials covering the basics that will probably show that. But that's a one-time issue, that's really not going to be an issue for non-early adopters. Basically you figure out where it is, and you're done (also you can always ctrl-alt-del, I did that within one minute of looking because I knew it was always in that screen previously.) If you're concerned about it anyway, you could always make a shortcut to 'shutdown.exe /s' and pin it in the start screen.

:) are you really trying to tell me it should have been that hard? that's a bit silly. Actually why is it when I put you up against brass tacks about what the start screen is you then start suggesting work arounds? if the start screen is all the start menu you say it is why do I need work arounds?

also, isn't it a bit presumptuous to assume that the majority of your client base will use all of your devices? your phone, your console, your tablet and your OS? maybe I'm a mutant... I have windows machines, I have a PS3 and I use an android phone.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are saying all devices work the same, and they don't. Now maybe you're not, but you should phrase it more clearly, or pick a perspective. It's hard to argue against someone who takes both sides of an issue.
No, i'm saying all mainstream desktop guis are mouse interfaces, so saying Metro UI is hardly different from Aero simply because its a mouse interface is ridiculous. I don't remember who in this thread made that point earlier, but just because its "moving the mouse and clicking" doesn't mean its equivalent. I'm also saying that consistency between two dramatically different form factors is overrated.

Well, you get a system that is consistent with mobile and touch devices. And what does desktop gadgets add that live tiles don't? Basically, all I can see is that you want to trade tablet/touch compatibility for a system that is incompatible with those devices..just because?
Now i'm starting to think you're being deliberately obtuse. I don't give a damn what you call the stupid things. Gadgets, tiles, etc. But MS could have put a sidebar on the desktop with "live tiles" just the same way they have a sidebar with "gadgets", but they didn't need to have you boot into the start screen just to have live tiles. Having live tiles as an excuse for the start screen makes absolutely no sense on a PC, because you have more than enough screen real-estate to put them on. This is not the case on a tablet or phone, so I understand why it makes sense for those devices.

If Apple did it first, it would be ok for Windows to do it, then?
I'm saying that OSX doesn't boot into a home screen with rows of apps. Win 8 is the equivalent of OSX booting to the iOS homescreen. I think MS is missing the point with this whole concept of "continuity" between devices. People like their iPhones so they buy MBP's. They don't seem to have any issues with OSX. Its about hardware, design language, aesthetics, reliability and interoperability. Those things can be accomplished by MS without forcing this new UI down long-time users throats

Because it makes a consistent user and development (for MS) environment, and it's strange you say this but do not explain why desktop gadgets would be any better.
See above for why your continued insistence on distinguishing "tiles" from "gadgets" is pointless

You combined two statements I made. One, I said YOU were inventing issues. Two, I said I think most Win 8 haters imagine Windows 8 makes their PC a giant overpriced iPad. Please be accurate when accusing me of something.
You were the one who said people are inventing issues with Win 8... and you also asked how can you argue with someone who says they don't like it. If your feeling is that people are inventing issues to justify why they don't like it, I don't see how that makes your opinions any less irrelevant than you consider mine.

Windows 8 is trivial to learn. Look at the "3 year old uses Windows 8 thread" (then look at all the post saying Windows 8 is too simple, easy and dumbed down.) There is no kind of consistency in the Win 8 haters, they jump from one position to the opposite with the "wind." You also said you don't think Windows 8 is a giant iPad, then you are here saying you'd own a staple of apple products if you wanted tablet/phone/Metro stuff, so you've contradicted yourself.. Yea, users didn't buy into windows tablets and phones previously, I guess I-crap, android, and mcdonalds all share something in common then?
You need to work on your reading comprehension. YOU were the one who accused Win8 haters of thinking Win8 makes their PC's into giant iPads. I said I didn't think that at all because I know that underneath the stupid new GUI, its still Windows. So why would they put this layer of fluff on top of an otherwise powerful and worthwhile upgrade? I also said that if I wanted bullshit force-fed to me, i'd buy Apple junk, BUT I DON'T. I also don't want Metro

my initial impression is that microsoft is trying to be "hip" and "cool" with this new OS. the install is very laid back, but for people like us, it's lacking vital technical information and options.

the biggest problem, which many have noted, is the absence of the start menu. i don't want a bunch of icons all over my desktop, so i'm forced to drag the mouse into the corner of the screen to pull up metro (or just press the windows key). since i have multiple monitors, i usually miss the corner on the first try. programs such as start is back "fix" the issue, but i still think MS should give the user the option to have the start menu.

otherwise, the OS feels quick and sleek when compared to win 7. the same functions are there, but they are well hidden and not as easy to get to as they were with the traditional start button. i hope MS listens to the users and gives us the option of a native classic start menu. somehow i doubt it will happen.

Last edited:
Terrible.

Metro = Horrible UI, I hate side scrolling.

Desktop = Ruined, transparency is gone, you cannot even adjust border thickness anymore(border padding).

Great idea and concept, terrible execution.

So far so good. Lots of people are complaining about metro, but for me its just a really cool start menu. If you think that it takes away from the desktop experience, download one of the many programs to make it more like W7.

Back