How are cases compatible with mobo's onboard USB 3.0 header

elodman

n00b
Greets

sorry I am unable to understand which Case's USB 3.0 can be connected to a Mobo's (Asus Z97-C, in my case) onboard USB 3.0 header.

E.g.: For Inwin 136 Mana I read:
"The USB 3.0 ports use an internal connector, so make sure you install a motherboard with an internal USB 3.0 header."

Then at an other site:
"(the case doesn't feature a mainboard USB plug)", and a back plugging to USB 3.0 (or how to say it correctly):
http://www.nikktech.com/main/articles/pc-hardware/79-in...

So would the case Inwin 136 Mana be compatible with a Z97-c's mobo usb 3.0 header then?
Or SilverStone Redline RL01?

Or might I buy a Corsair 200R / 300R, which has only USB 3.0 on front panel, hoping that my USB 2.0 devices will be compatible with that?

thanx for any info!

USB 2.0 devices always work in USB 3.x ports of the correct size.

USB 2.0 devices always work in USB 3.x ports of the correct size.

Your answer has nothing to do with the OP question

Motherboard USB headers are all the same, there are USB 2.0 style headers and 3.0 style headers.

If your motherboard does not have USB 3.0 and your case does you can get a converter cable to make it work for your front USB ports.

Many thanx for great info,

Yes, I knew this Mobo is blessed with many i/o ports, my doubts are mostly about the different cases' connectivity options - in general.

So I guess, I should look for cases with USB 3.0 wire connector, which will always be compatible with a Mobo's internal USB 3.0 header / connector.
If I see on a case: "USB 3.0 Super Speed Transfer Interface", then it is ok for my Mobo header?

I guess, if my mobo is so abundant with ports, then it will be compatible with any cases, having USB 3 on their front panels? Or perhaps, to be on the safe side, I should buy some cable for it?

I guess if a review states: "the case doesn't feature a mainboard USB plug", then it means, it cannot be connected to the mobo in the above mentioned interior (case port to mobo header) way, only via an other way (plugging some cable to the mobo's back) .

Last edited:
Back