How And Why You Should Invest In A Dash Cam

As I understand it, flashing the taillights (lightly tapping the brakes so that your brake lights light up but no significant braking occurs) is different from brake checking (hard braking).
Yeah, tapping the taillights is actually useful for indicating that you may need to slow down due to conditions ahead and that someone behind you needs to beware. What pisses me off with motorcycle riders is when they get those pulsating high-beams. I basically have to adjust my mirror so I can't see them and can't help drive carefully around them.

I've owned a dashcam for a bit over 1 year. I've had a few close calls and I keep record of those close calls. I own a Vicovation Vico-Marcus 4 dashcam. It records in 2560x1080 so the quality on youtube is worse than the raw due to the fact youtube doesn't support that format.

It wasn't what happened here, but another thing that irritates me is people who stop when legally in the intersection. That thick white line going across the road at a traffic light is there for a reason. It impedes the vision for those trying to make right turns, number one, and also blocks pedestrians trying to cross the street. No, your position isn't going to make the light change any faster, asshole...

It wasn't what happened here, but another thing that irritates me is people who stop when legally in the intersection. That thick white line going across the road at a traffic light is there for a reason. It impedes the vision for those trying to make right turns, number one, and also blocks pedestrians trying to cross the street. No, your position isn't going to make the light change any faster, asshole...
This. And This Again.

The sensor is way back from the white line you fucking idiots. I see one person in 10,000 that actually stops behind the white line and STAYS there. Mostly they stop way past it or sit there and creep up past it after they stopped.

If I am crossing street on foot and you have pulled past that line I always give you the eat shit look with 2 middle fingers hovering over your hood.

Its an awesome movie that shows our future. Some of the people are already at the stage in the movie, which is sad....
It was so awesome, that it pissed off enough megacorporations and SJWs that Sony pulled it from airing in theaters, despite the movie already being finished and did no advertising.

In spite of a secret straight to DVD launch, it became a cult classic.

I still love that movie, and highly recommend it (its got electrolytes)!

I've thought about this but the thought of police trying to take my camera/SD card has prevented me from doing it. If I were going to do it, I'd get something like an Intel NUC and put Blue Iris on it then install four HD or better IP cameras in my car. One on each B-pillar cross-shooting and one on the rear view mirror pointing back and one on the rear window pointing forward. That way I create a mostly 360 view. With the SSD in the NUC protected by bitlocker, someone could rip it out of the car and still not get the data off of it.

Install a battery isolator and a 2nd battery for the NUC and cameras to run off of. Or put a low battery cut off switch on the main battery.

You could even have it connect to wifi at home/work to alert you of movement just like a home surveillance system. (With masked zones so that it will only alert you if someone enters the car.)

Just my overkill $0.02.

BP

This. And This Again.

The sensor is way back from the white line you fucking idiots. I see one person in 10,000 that actually stops behind the white line and STAYS there. Mostly they stop way past it or sit there and creep up past it after they stopped
People are always doing this in my area. Like half of their car is past the broad white line. I don't get it. Did they not read the driver's manual prior to taking the test? Do they know but don't care? Sometimes I have to sit around for a green light before turning right just so I don't get hit by a hidden vehicle. The worst part is I have never seen or even heard of a police officer ticketing someone for this behavior, so it'll never stop.

LOL, I guess you suggest I should have driven THROUGH the car infront of me? :p

Besides it is excruciatingly clear that booth I and the car infront of me are travelling faster than the traffic to our immediate right.

That's what I see.

People are always doing this in my area. Like half of their car is past the broad white line. I don't get it. Did they not read the driver's manual prior to taking the test? Do they know but don't care? Sometimes I have to sit around for a green light before turning right just so I don't get hit by a hidden vehicle. The worst part is I have never seen or even heard of a police officer ticketing someone for this behavior, so it'll never stop.
They can, though, and I've seen it occasionally. I don't think they'll bother stopping you unless you're putting traffic in immediate danger most of the time. In Florida I know that crossing the "stop" or "limit" line at an intersection is a noncriminal traffic violation that can be ticketed as a moving violation ($150 fine). If your vehicle is completely over the line you are considered as having entered the intersection and can be ticketed for running a red light, which is a criminal violation that can include jail time.

what he did was bad, however you need to learn how to relax..... you'll live longer :p

It is clear from the video that the truck was forced to move over when the other truck literally cut him off. At least you got a warning...via turn signal....

It probably wasn't noticed at the time, he had a bumper in his face to deal with, but yes, I looks to me like the lead truck forced the other truck to make a quick choice and I think he made the right one even if it was a surprise for alxlwson.

I've had a dash cam for a couple of years. I've had a few close calls but this one made me pucker up a bit.

I have a habit of checking the turn off lanes no matter what. Doesn't matter if no one should be in them because they start at a certain spot, there are assholes on the road that assume that all asphalt is ok to drive on.

I have a habit of checking the turn off lanes no matter what. Doesn't matter if no one should be in them because they start at a certain spot, there are assholes on the road that assume that all asphalt is ok to drive on.
that guy was hauling ass for aure

I can honestly say I have never run into this type of driver in my driving lifetime. If I was the mother of the driver in that Fairlady he would certainly get a stern talking to... with a sledgehammer.

I can honestly say I have never run into this type of driver in my driving lifetime. If I was the mother of the driver in that Fairlady he would certainly get a stern talking to... with a sledgehammer.
Maybe it's where you live... but where i live currently and used to live, when traffic starts some asshats would use the shoulders to zoom past traffic. When the shoulder became a off ramp? Yeah, they wouldn't care and wouldn't hesitate to continue going forward at high speed sometimes getting into iffy situations with people trying to get off the highway.

After seeing that and some fender benders caused by those asshats made me extra cautious about changing lanes. No matter if i have the right of way, i check before getting into it. It's saved my bacon a few times.

I've noticed dash cams popping up at CostCo the past few months, not sure if it's any good but it usually is an indication of trend following.

I just wish I could figure out how to have a near "invisible" cam, shit hanging from a suction cup is just retarded, it's like early GPS units which did that and put a big honking blind spot in your vision.

You can have an invisible one. A MobiusActionCam + extension cable for the lens allows you to hide the unit and have just he lens attached somewhere. About as discrete as you can get with a decent lens package. There's also a brand (forgot the name, but they're expensive) that had an in-dash DVR with two remote cameras.

As for others. The ones at Costco (Cobra brand) I've heard bad things about, my dad went through three of them before switching to a Garmin. A lot of these cams are based on the same sensor/chipset, so it comes to support/warranty/firmware.

Chinese cams are hit or miss. There's a few fully featured ones that work good, others are knockoffs of knockoffs.

Oh, I'm the same way. When I was moving from the left lane to the turn lane my eyes were glued to the mirror as the always are. It's common for people to cross that gore in the turn lane coming out of the gas station too. He was behind me and stayed behind me all the way until that last second. It may not be obvious in the footage, but I was about 1/3 in to that turn lane already. Another inch or so and it would not have been pretty. It seemed especially stupid with all those cops still there too. There's a reason I cut the video early, I was saying some...not family friendly things after. Haha

Back