Schmave

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have been folding for a long time for [H] but haven't posted in the DC forum for some time now. I have been posting in the Video Cards forums a bit lately and have been pondering something so I decided to make a new post. It would be nice to put something like this in the Video Cards forum but I don't think it would be appropriate without the blessing of Kyle or one of the top admins.

Anyway, I am folding right now with a single RX 480 and am currently (as of this posting) sitting at #36 on the [H] folding team for 24 hour average points. This card is decent, but is by no means the top gaming or folding card. In the Video Cards forums I see countless people buying new 1080s, 1070s, and 1060s, yet I am still fairly high in the production rankings. I think it is safe to say that most of these people buying new cards are not folding on them.

Is it ignorance for a lot of users? Do they simply not know about F@H or any of the other DC projects we participate in? Do they simply not care? Yeah, running a DC project does increase your power usage but it isn't by that much. Also since it's winter right now most people wouldn't mind the extra heat from their system. What do you all think?

All of the above and more. Some people don't like putting forth the effort but not seeing the result take fruition. (As most DC projects do little outside writing papers and earning a career off of grant money.) So, honestly appealing to the people takes a lot of work before you can even tailor the sales pitch to them. I say this because some people don't care about competition. Some just look at extra electric costs which GPU's can certainly show up on a monthly bill rather quickly. Back until the P4 days, running your PC full bore and running it in sleep mode used about the same electricity. Nowadays it is drastically different. So, before it was easy to say why not? Now you have to justify the expense.

Hmm, I guess that all makes sense. I guess I figured since Steve still posts on the front page about joining the [H] folding team more people would do it. With these new GPUs you can get crazy PPD for not much money.

I'm not so sure the majority of the forum visitors look at the front page... I know I rarely do.

I honestly don't think Kyle, or any of the other folks who actively run the front page, care. A lot of people either stopped doing F@H for various and sundry reasons, or moved on to move active teams, and yet they keep regurgitating the same "FOLD FOR TEAM 33!" stuff. Personally I would like to see Hard|OCP pushing WCG directly, or generic BOINC at the least. Despite my being on PrimeGrid a lot lately, I typically do WCG as they actually seem to publish real world results... which ought to make everyone involved feel like they're actually helping contribute to something.

BTW, in other news, Steve is leaving? Huh.

I honestly don't think Kyle, or any of the other folks who actively run the front page, care. A lot of people either stopped doing F@H for various and sundry reasons, or moved on to move active teams, and yet they keep regurgitating the same "FOLD FOR TEAM 33!" stuff. Personally I would like to see Hard|OCP pushing WCG directly, or generic BOINC at the least. Despite my being on PrimeGrid a lot lately, I typically do WCG as they actually seem to publish real world results... which ought to make everyone involved feel like they're actually helping contribute to something.

BTW, in other news, Steve is leaving? Huh.

I folded for [H] years ago and when I cam e back to it my natural inclination was to come back to this team. When I saw that the vibe was gone I started looking elsewhere. Because of what I perceived to be lack of support from the leadership it made the choice easier. Not bashing anyone but just saying you can't have a strong team without top down support. I enjoy my current team but really at first I wanted to be here because of past memories. I know a lot of the issues were outside the control of [H] (Pande) and that turned a bunch of people away.

Many hard hitters simply moved on from FAH.

Folding for a long time takes a toll on everyone. Costs a lot of money to keep a farm up and running.

It really hit many users hard during the SMP --> GPU --> BigAdv transitions.

I know when i was beta tester, every week it was something new. Keeping up with the changes became a daily headache.

The SMP early days were the worst and have a $2000 system that was obsolete in 6 months due to changing deadlines of the WUs.

I am still folding and in fact i just upgraded my gpu today pretty much strictly for PPD increase. Where you can check production ranking against other team members?

Back