How about a petition for someone to make a 43" OLED monitor/TV

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
I know, don't I have anything better to do? Not really. What do you guys think. I know I would sign it in a heartbeat
and judging by all the threads on [H] I kinda feel a lot of other people would also. Not that it would make a difference,
or would it? giphy.gif

I want a 32" but would settle for the 48" in the pipeline.....I do love the AW55 though, its freaking amazing.

You would literally need tens of thousands of signatures for them to even take notice or care I'm thinking.

The problem is the cost to scale down production to a smaller form factor, versus the amount of people who would purchase such a product. Let's face it, people want big TVs, but smaller PC Displays, so the space between 32" and 55" is a void where there isn't a lot of money to be made.

The trend seems to be towards ultrawides at anything larger, which does make more sense for desktop use as it's easier to handle than very large 16:9. So I'm hoping for 5K x 2K aka "4K ultrawide" in larger sizes in the next few years.

We are unlikely to see smaller OLEDs anytime soon and petitions won't help.

The problem is the cost to scale down production to a smaller form factor, versus the amount of people who would purchase such a product. Let's face it, people want big TVs, but smaller PC Displays, so the space between 32" and 55" is a void where there isn't a lot of money to be made.

I agree there is a void and those wanting it something in this size category are a minority in the grand scheme of things. It just takes one good product that sells well though that can ignite manufacturer interest however. Let's hope that happens soon.

I agree there is a void and those wanting it something in this size category are a minority in the grand scheme of things. It just takes one good product that sells well though that can ignite manufacturer interest however. Let's hope that happens soon.

I doubt it. The problem is there isn't a large enough population of people willing to go larger then 32" to justify production. You see it from people here whenever using a TV comes up for discussion; "You don't need something that large sitting so close to you" and the like.

I doubt it. The problem is there isn't a large enough population of people willing to go larger then 32" to justify production. You see it from people here whenever using a TV comes up for discussion; "You don't need something that large sitting so close to you" and the like.
Well, then maybe we should ask for a 32” instead. That’s a size that most people can agree on.

I know, don't I have anything better to do? Not really. What do you guys think. I know I would sign it in a heartbeat
and judging by all the threads on [H] I kinda feel a lot of other people would also. Not that it would make a difference,
or would it? View attachment 200013

43” 4K OLED would be amazing, especially for people who value maximum desktop real estate instead of scaling. And math dictates that 46” 4K is the ideal maximum for 4K in a Windows desktop environment.

I’m not so sure if demand has much influence in this case. After all, it wasn’t that long ago that people questioned why anyone needed larger than 27” for a desktop monitor. But then manufacturers expanded into 32” at both 1440p and 4K and consumers were like yeah, we like this. I think your first post had it right. It’s mainly due to current production. LG only produces so many panels, most of which are destined for TVs at specific sizes. We’ll see what happens with the new 8K mother panels and whether they’ll be sliced up four ways into 40” range 4K panels. Unlike LCD, there are relatively few OLED manufacturers, so it’s going to be a little while. But I think we’ll see 40” range OLED eventually.

High end PC gaming has been dying for a long time. No one cares anymore. It's all going phone/tablet/mobile trash.

These companies don't give a fuck. They just go where the money is.

High end PC gaming has been dying for a long time. No one cares anymore. It's all going phone/tablet/mobile trash.

These companies don't give a fuck. They just go where the money is.
Consoles are legit. So legit in fact, that I question why I still bother with PC gaming, especially considering that I prefer a controller to keyboard and mouse.

Consoles are legit. So legit in fact, that I question why I still bother with PC gaming, especially considering that I prefer a controller to keyboard and mouse.

Even consoles are dying. They're next on the chopping block. It's all getting eaten up by mobile.

Even consoles are dying. They're next on the chopping block. It's all getting eaten up by mobile.
We’ve heard this for years. Yet, PC gaming is dying so fast that Microsoft has introduced a new streaming service for PC games this last year and several companies have stood up their own independent game services in the last 2-3 years. And yet again all three console companies have future plans for next gen equipment.

Cliff notes: PC gaming and console gaming aren't dying.

Dell already released a 55" Oled gaming monitor.

But at $6999 AU, and only HDR400 and only 120hz @, 4K they can dream on.

PC gaming has been supposedly dying since I got into it and that was back in '93. I do agree that mobile is the next big thing and companies are obviously going after that segment but I dont see pc or console gaming dying because of it. People love big screens. The younger gens love the small screens maybe but as they get older their eye sight will shift them back to something bigger and easier to see. lol

Reactions: Panel
like this
Dell already released a 55" Oled gaming monitor.

But at $6999 AU, and only HDR400 and only 120hz @, 4K they can dream on.

The price is nuts but HDR400 isn't exactly a problem here, considering this is an Oled with infinite contrast ratio.

We’ve heard this for years. Yet, PC gaming is dying so fast that Microsoft has introduced a new streaming service for PC games this last year and several companies have stood up their own independent game services in the last 2-3 years. And yet again all three console companies have future plans for next gen equipment.

Cliff notes: PC gaming and console gaming aren't dying.

Actually PC gaming already died a long time ago, you just didn't get the memo. Notice how they don't really make PC games anymore and everything is just a console port? Exactly.

The PC died around the time everyone bent over for Xbox cash. Diablo 4 is a fucking console game and is being designed from the ground up with gamepads in mind.

The PC is dead. Consoles are next on the chopping block. It's all going to be mobile and streaming trash.

In the future it'll be ultra high rez clear glass AR displays that can not only create virtual screen sizes and aspects anywhere in real space to your perspective but also virtual objects and people, characters/assistants and heads up data "mouseovers", animated "how to" overlays on objects, skins and animated skins and meshes on objects and people - robots, drones, streets, cars, houses, etc. Carrying around and staring at a brick in your hand is going to look very primitive in retrospect. All of the current screens and phones aren't that advanced compared to where we should be going eventually imo, which is bringing the virtual world out of the magic mirror looking glass.

VR and AR are the way forward but they are still in infancy. I'm not a fan of diablo 3. It already seems like a phone game to me. What's killing some of gaming in general to me are battle royales and multiplayer mall arena pillow fights ~ pvp in place of actual content. As long as games like the witcher 3, uncharted, portal, halflifes, bioshock, dishonoreds, farcry , fallout, gta, rdr, and similar.. and some coop games like remnant from the ashes, L4D2, vermintide2, etc are around and the whole of souls type games (dark souls 1-3, sekiro, nioh and the like), a few arpgs like grim dawn, divinity, etc.. and some cool adventure titles and rpg element titles from other studios I'll be pretty happy. The overall development is going where the money is, simple as that. People pay more for games on consoles and are willing to shell out $300 - $400 on a dummy kiosk box console they can throw on any tv rather than dealing with the price and nuances of a pc, so the market is much larger. Personally I'd rather have a shorter list of great games, hopefully with modability and dlc content added, replay-ability and perhaps coop than an endless flood of games shoveled onto the pile.

It's worth noting that we'll soon have halflife: alyx on vr in the same month as doom eternal and a month after that cyberpunk 2077 and a few other titles.

PC gaming is larger than it ever has been in terms of number of gamers and revenue, and larger than any of the individual consoles (but not larger than all the consoles combined). It is on pace to have grown over last year (2018) and 2018 was bigger than 2017. By any measure PC gaming is neither dying nor shrinking but growing.
But mobile is larger and growing faster, which doesn't negate the above.

Ppl are dead set mental if they think PC gaming is dying!

For example they designed RTX for PCs and they will use it for next gen consoles.

TV overlords are your only chance of saviour this time. I'll keep doing what I tried to do the last 5 years and wait, no Money for shitty compromise screens for your boring, glacial pace monitor industry.

TV overlords are your only chance of saviour this time. I'll keep doing what I tried to do the last 5 years and wait, no Money for shitty compromise screens for your boring, glacial pace monitor industry.

What we're witnessing is the convergence of the monitor and TV markets. We knew this would occur eventually, but weren't sure when. But it's happened fast over the last couple of years. Features like 4:4:4 chroma, low lag, high hertz, and expanded color gamut were always the domain of monitors (gaming, professional, or otherwise). TV manufacturers have broken down these barriers, and even the last remaining ones like G-Sync and FreeSync are falling. Size for size, we now see ultra high end monitors retailing for more than ultra high end TVs like LG's OLED.

These are pretty amazing times.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
What we're witnessing is the convergence of the monitor and TV markets. We knew this would occur eventually, but weren't sure when. But it's happened fast over the last couple of years. Features like 4:4:4 chroma, low lag, high hertz, and expanded color gamut were always the domain of monitors (gaming, professional, or otherwise). TV manufacturers have broken down these barriers, and even the last remaining ones like G-Sync and FreeSync are falling. Size for size, we now see ultra high end monitors retailing for more than ultra high end TVs like LG's OLED.

I'm glad to see it happening and agreed - faster than expected. I think Xbox vrr played a big part of it which we overlooked.

Consoles might have done us a big favour. Monitor builders can take hike, they are the next horse cart.

I don't know how anyone can justify paying more then $2k for a 32" monitor like the PG35VQ when I got my c9 65" for $1800. Sure it might not have some of the fancy feature but it pales in comparison when it comes to image quality.

If OLED refresh rates can reach competitive levels, I'm all for it. OLED picture quality can't be beat that's for sure.

Holy moly, if the LG Oled really does offer 4K @ 120 with VRR, why the hell do we need to wait for anymore gaming monitors??

If so imma grab one of these Oleds

it can if it had a hdmi 2.1 source. You can't get that kind of bandwidth out of hdmi 2.0b, which is why 4k 120hz displays are out with displayport 1.4 on them (at a huge price gouge) . Displayport 1.4 doesn't have quite enough bandwidth for 10bit 444 chroma at 4k 120hz though either so even with a dp 1.4 input display you'd have to drop to 8bit or to 422 or 98hz, or 2000 series gpus and a very modern monitor might be capable of DSC displayport compression which also trades off some image fidelity.

So while a C9 oled itself has a 120hz display and hdmi 2.1 input, and nvidia supports VRR on it, there isn't enough bandwidth off of the hdmi2.0b port on current gpus even with 8bit or 98hz. As far as I'm aware the only way to get 120hz currently on a LG C9 is by dropping to a non native rez of 2560x1440 which lowers image fidelity. I'd be happy if I could run 3840x1440 or 3840x1600 at 8bit 98hz or 100hz, unscaled 1:1 pixel mapping with letterboxed bars on one but I'd probably have heard about that by now if it were possible currently. Perhaps a displayport 1.4 to "hdmi 2.1 ish" adapter will come out someday that will allow performance similar to dp 1.4 out to dp 1.4 in of other 4k monitors but on the hdmi 2.1 input of the LG C9 Oleds.

Hopefully nvidia will release 7nm 3000 series gpus with full hdmi 2.1 output and support sometime in 2020. I'm holding out for a 3080Ti personally so it could be a long wait. Ps5 should also have hdmi 2.1 I'm guessing since they are touting 120hz with console quasi 4k rez on performance mode enabled games in their next gen, and rumors of up to nvidia 2080 gpu performance on optimized games.

Last edited:
Yes we need to see GPUs increase their performance and features as well. HDMI 2.1 is a must now on GPUs. Hopefully Nividia and AMD will do this with their next gen GPUs schedule to come out next year.

Back