2080/Ti Pricing and Your Buying Decision

• Will purhcase 2080/Ti at inflated prices no matter what

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Will wait till prices fall to normal and purchase 2080/Ti

Votes: 72 28.7%
  • Not buying 2080/Ti even if prices fall back to normal

Votes: 156 62.2%

• Total voters
I'll pay $800 for a 2080Ti hybrid, which is what I paid for my 1080Ti hybrids, not a penny more. So that probably means sitting this round out.

Yup, that about matches my feelings. $800 for a hybrid cooler or REALLY good air cooled 2080Ti and I'll give it strong consideration. For now, I'll stick with 1080Ti SLI.

Using a 980Ti I would buy a 2080ti without even think about it.. it offer more than 100% performance jump even factoring overclock. When I went from 980Ti to 1080ti the performance was a night/day difference.. so for 980Ti > 2080ti can't even imagine not wanting to spend the money on it..

I'm as aware of the performance gains just as much as I'm aware of the ridiculous price tags negating me upgrading.

Don't get me wrong here, anyone who has $1,200 in disposable income or savings for such an upgrade shouldn't blink about spending their own dang money on things that make them happy and enjoying it. I'm just not in that particular club yet. XD

I would entertain the idea of a ~$800 Ti, but I just can't plain stomach the $1200 cost. I have other things to spend my money on, and it's not like my 1080 isn't pulling it's weight wonderfully in 1440p/144hz either.

I just don't see the bang for buck on my end of things, but I can see how the 4k folks here truly do need it.

I'm jealous of those stepping up and can't wait for [H] benchies. Got my popcorn ready.

I agree, I dont think many people here realize it's pretty rare a person spends over 1,000 bucks on a single item for their rig. It's like 1,000 dollar plus processors, not very many are lining up to buy one despite just how powerful they are. Especially when some of the features cant even be used yet as well.

Yep, even the folks that are prudently choosing to pass on the new RTXes in favor of their current 1080s are in the extreme minority. Gpu.userbenchmarks lists even the 1080ti owners as 3.85% of the total user base. And every Titan in recent history is between 0.01-0.07%. Not sure how accurate those are but they're certainly in line with what I would expect.

I can't really see the 2080ti-buying populous being much bigger, but lets face it, the majority of those owners are probably trying to buy on day 1.

Yep, even the folks that are prudently choosing to pass on the new RTXes in favor of their current 1080s are in the extreme minority. Gpu.userbenchmarks lists even the 1080ti owners as 3.85% of the total user base. And every Titan in recent history is between 0.01-0.07%. Not sure how accurate those are but they're certainly in line with what I would expect.

I can't really see the 2080ti-buying populous being much bigger, but lets face it, the majority of those owners are probably trying to buy on day 1.

Yeah I fully expect them to sit after the initial rush. $1200 is an unthinkable price to 99% of gamers out there. You can build a pretty decent gaming PC for that price, and I'd argue the majority don't even want to spend that much. They're going to have to cut the price, it's just a matter of when.

Maybe AMD has a secret card that they'll drop with 1080ti performance, so Nvidia has to come back to Earth..../s

So why is it now people are finally saying the cards are not worth it? I got ripped a new one before release lol.

MSRP is to high for the performance I've seen so far on the 20x cards. Just not worth $1200 to play CS:GO at +250 fps, still, etc. I'm not waiting for anything now. Maybe a smoking deal on CL down the road.

I'm very happy I spent money on other projects that I otherwise would have given to Nvidia. I'm going to give Ruger some more Nvidia money this weekend. Way more bangs for my bucks.

So why is it now people are finally saying the cards are not worth it? I got ripped a new one before release lol.
Might have something to do with benchmarks being released and the 70% price increase not being justified by a 70% performance increase over the 1080ti.

Of course, even if it had, a $1200 video card is still a $1200 video card... XD

2080Ti is equal to the performance of a new x80 card, not a Ti card.

2080Ti = 2080
2080 = 2070

Waste of money. Buy previous gen used.

I like how people act like this is new, or some kind of phenomenon from mining, the Titan X Pascal was 30% faster than the 1080 for 70% more ($1200). Nothing has changed since over two years ago before the mining craze.

It's fine to be disappointed with the fastest GPU in the world's price being $999/1200 but the conspiracy theories are cray cray.

At the end of the day, if you value RTX features the value is amazing. If you don't it's pretty meh.

I like how people act like this is new, or some kind of phenomenon from mining, the Titan X Pascal was 30% faster than the 1080 for 70% more ($1200). Nothing has changed since over two years ago before the mining craze.

It's fine to be disappointed with the fastest GPU in the world's price being $999/1200 but the conspiracy theories are cray cray.

At the end of the day, if you value RTX features the value is amazing. If you don't it's pretty meh.

Uh... you're comparing a Titan/XX80ti price/performance gap from the same generation to a XX80ti to XX80ti price/performance gap gen-to-gen.

It's not the same thing at all.

Uh... you're comparing a Titan/XX80ti price/performance gap from the same generation to a XX80ti to XX80ti price/performance gap gen-to-gen.

It's not the same thing at all.

I was comparing near max die to the next card. Titan X Pascal is the same exact slot as the 2080ti.

On the flip side it’s ~35% (45% in games I actually play) faster than the previous gen and ~75-85% (?) with DLSS so that sounds even better.

Plus as an added bonus if Ray Tracing is actually a thing you’re ready.

I sold my 1080ti for $500 and got the 2080ti for $1080.

$580 every two-three years is a super cheap hobby in my book for the best performance on the planet.

Last edited:
$580 every two-three years is a super cheap hobby in my book for the best performance on the planet.

Everyone's use case is unique. I'd agree that $500-$600 every 2 years is cheap. Give me 40%-50% performance increase over my 1080ti for ~$550 and I'd buy one. ~30% for $1200? Fuck off.

My PC hobby pays for itself. However, My 1080ti, when retired, will go to the next PC down in my house. So, I'm looking at paying full price for an upgrade.

I'm not selling anything to offset the cost of a 2080ti.
I've never bought a Titan.
I've SLI'd NV cards in my main PC since the 7800 GTX - up until the 1080ti.
I became used to the x80 nomenclature back when they changed and bought those cards, since it was the top card typically, up to the 700 series when they screwed me by releasing a TI version.
I waited for the 980ti - "fool me once", or in NV's case, fool me for about the 3rd time.
Same for the 1080ti - waited and got what I wanted - nearly equal performance to my 980ti SLI setup in a single card.

Bottom line, in the past I upgraded when the single card performance was roughly equal to my SLI config. Then bought 2. 780 SLI -> 980ti SLI-> 1080ti. With the 1080ti I got the performance I was looking for and it cost a couple hundred more, but not as much as an x80 SLI. Works for me.

I don't see that price / performance in the 20xx series. And I'm still not buying a Titan. So, call the "ti" the Titan if you want, but we're back to NV playing "fool me again".

So, I'll wait. Maybe I'll buy a Vega 64 to play with. They're cheap now.

I don't think anyone is changing their position. Personally, I believe the 2080ti is worth it and plan to keep my preorder, but then again my lastl card purchase was a Titan X pascal in August of 2016.

Let's face it, any card beyond a 1060 or so is anywhere from bad to horrible from a perspective of value.

I'm very confused by people handwaving the price and saying "It's okay - it's the new Titan!"

Did all those folks forget there's ACTUALLY a new Titan already? The Titan V? The $3,000 one?

I was comparing near max die to the next card. Titan X Pascal is the same exact slot as the 2080ti.

On the flip side it’s ~35% (45% in games I actually play) faster than the previous gen and ~75-85% (?) with DLSS so that sounds even better. Plus as an added bonus if Ray Tracing is actually a thing you’re ready. I sold my 1080ti for $500 and got the 2080ti for $1080.

Do you remember you and another member told me I was talking nonsense about it only be 20-30% over the last gen! and it's going to be 50-60%Right, There is no RT and DLSS games to test the new RTX card out now , so I don't know where you're claiming it's 45% in games that you actually play?. And NV made a promise but it was just another marking hype to sale the pre-order cards.

Last edited:
Do you remember you and another member told me I was talking nonsense about it only be 20-30% over the last gen! and it's going to be 50-60%Right, There is no RT and DLSS games to test the new RTX card out now , so I don't know where you're claiming it's 45% in games that you actually play?

I never said 50-60%. Show me a quote.

I said 30-50% in traditional games and more with DLSS. Which was spot on.

Last edited:
And there is no game with DLSS to test on 'Which is was spot on':(

The 30-50% was spot on. Not DLSS, we’re obviously waiting on that.

I am still waiting for this “50-60%” quote.

Last edited:
When [H] tests we will see what the 20180ti can do. Based on the current benchmarks it's not worth the money even though I do have 4K. From what I can see so far it can do 60fps 4K average. I will wait for the next version. If I need the HP, I can always grab one of my 1080ti's from the cage and SLI.

If you're genuinely wondering (...) why people are upset when Y card is the same as X card from years ago, it's because it took them years to do it.

We're being told to pay handsomely for the privilege of getting more for less.

Meanwhile, they're playing a shell game on us to raise prices at the brackets lower than that (2080 for how much? Seriously?) and hoping we won't notice or care.

This is why people are more upset than usual.

I cancelled my 2080 preorder as soon as I saw there was no advantage over my 1080 ti. At this point two things need to happen for me to bite:

1) Price needs to come down to $650 (market price) or lower to justify same performance as 1080 ti, 2 years later
2) RTX and DLSS needs heavy adoption

The 2080 TI is priced in the realm of stupidity, at least for me, even though I have the money to throw around.

So I have been waiting for the day I can finally give up SLI...those of you who do SLI may get it. One card max performance across the board...not sure this gen is it. Problem is by the time the next gen is out, hopefully, games will push it hard enough I will end up SLI in next gen...erg...Well, as long as I don't get a new monitor I should be safe...next gen, yeh, I'll wait...like daddy said, never buy the first model year of a new car.

Based on practically everything we've seen from GPUs since the GeForce256, there is zero chance these first-gen cards stay relevant with the new technologies long enough to properly amortize the huge upfront cost. (particulary the 2080 with its lovely 8GB). Hard no on a purchase. They'll get it right in gen 2 and gen 3 and with mining demand a distant memory, hopefully with more sensible pricing.

Based on practically everything we've seen from GPUs since the GeForce256, there is zero chance these first-gen cards stay relevant with the new technologies long enough to properly amortize the huge upfront cost. (particulary the 2080 with its lovely 8GB). Hard no on a purchase. They'll get it right in gen 2 and gen 3 and with mining demand a distant memory, hopefully with more sensible pricing.

Concur completely. The most analogous comparison is probably new features coming with DirectX and the first gen of cards to support them. In almost every case I can think of e.g. 5870 with dx11, the performance of the card was wholly deficient to support the new features (in the few games that used them for the first year).

Concur completely. The most analogous comparison is probably new features coming with DirectX and the first gen of cards to support them. In almost every case I can think of e.g. 5870 with dx11, the performance of the card was wholly deficient to support the new features (in the few games that used them for the first year).

So, you’re saying nVidia wasted 1/3rd of their die (increased cost by >50%) and game developers are spending hundreds of thousands implementing it to be at a competitive disadvantage?

So, you’re saying nVidia wasted 1/3rd of their die (increased cost by >50%) and game developers are spending hundreds of thousands implementing it to be at a competitive disadvantage?
It's a gamble. If Tray Racing and Deliriously Lucrative Super Sampling become the standard for developers, then Nvidia wasted nothing bringing those features to market. The end user, however, will have wasted a considerable amount of money on a card that will likely be outdated long before either of those technologies are mainstream.

From what I've read, ray tracing is actually far easier in implementation for developers - all they have to do is pick their light source and the RT does everything else for them. They don't have to throw in phantom light sources and spoof light scattering to make scenes look realistic.

You seem to implying that companies never make mistakes? NVIDIA? Obviously, that's silly for anyone who's been around here long enough.

But I don't think they made a technology mistake here (only with the pricing and how the launch was handled). With 1st-gen Turing, they've spent a 1/3 of their die to possibly move the industry forward (and it's exciting as hell) but that doesn't mean these 1st-gen cards are going to stay relevant. Everyone buying today is flat out paying for their R&D efforts and marketing promises. Just like every other time NVIDIA has introduced new technology. And that gamble has never ended well, with prices much lower than this.

Also, I think 4K rasterization performance is not progressing as quickly as they hoped so we're seeing a few tricks up their sleeves. I don't need tricks to run 1440p so why do they need all this super computing mumbo jumbo for 4K? In a few years when 4K is trivial (or if DLSS image quality or game support is not up to snuff), all this DLSS stuff is going to seem silly stopgap. In fact, I think they'll drop the tensor cores altogether (put them back on pro parts where they belong) and add more RT Cores to get ray tracing performance up to snuff. We'll have to see.

Last edited:

You're missing our points. We're not saying ray tracing or DLSS will be a failure and the new die hardware won't be used. Nor are we saying nVidia wasted 1/3 of their chip: they had to start somewhere.

The point we were making is there isn't enough performance in the chip, top-end 2080 ti included, to harness the new features -- there rarely is for the first gen when new features drop.

As I’ve said in other threads, I’m skipping this generation. And I’m sad about that. :grumpy:

With a silent 1080ti in my rig, I won't be motivated to upgrade for a while regardless of price.

Hopefully AMD does something worthwhile, but I won't hold my breath.

As long as Nvidia keeps bullshitting about this msrp crap I am not buying anything fron them

Also people buying a ti card at over 1200 cements nvidias opinion that the market will bear it.

How much did they buy aegia for?

You're missing our points. We're not saying ray tracing or DLSS will be a failure and the new die hardware won't be used. Nor are we saying nVidia wasted 1/3 of their chip: they had to start somewhere.

The point we were making is there isn't enough performance in the chip, top-end 2080 ti included, to harness the new features -- there rarely is for the first gen when new features drop.

I understood the points I was more or less probing for more behind the original statement. Based on what you just wrote the developers would be wasting their time, if true. If it runs like ass and no one turns it on. I would personally hope nVidia vetted it more since they dedicated so much of the die. If they are not successful this gives AMD a large advantage. We shall see!

How much did they buy aegia for?

Bahahhaha.

Last edited:
While the 2080ti checks all the boxes for me, the ludicrous price means I'll wait until the next release. I'd be willing to pay $800 for one, but not $1200. My 1080 is already the single most expensive component in my rig, and I only paid ~$600 for it new. Skipped the TI since it still wasn't enough to play everything maxed out at 4k either, and while it looks like the 2080ti will finally do that, it's just way too much money.

As long as Nvidia keeps bullshitting about this msrp crap I am not buying anything fron them

Not to sound like a Nvidia apologist, but the blame is nearly all on AIBs. Nvidia is actually selling their products AT MSRP ($1200). Keep in mind that it's near impossible to find a true base (non-OCed) 2080ti from an AIB. Almost all of them are OCed cards, many of which have upgraded PCBs and circuitry. They are under absolutely no obligation to sell those for $999, nor should they be. No doubt this means Nvidia has pretty much zero leverage over their AIBs pricing.

Also people buying a ti card at over 1200 cements Nvidias opinion that the market will bear it

That's because it will bear it. Just because it doesn't meet your threshold for value, don't believe for a second the newest GPU that's raised the bar (in any significant way - since Titan X pascal to Titan XP wasn't huge) for best performing GPU in the world - while costing less than a used car - for the first time in over 2 years won't sell out for a little while. I'm seeing sold listings on for upwards of $2k on ebay; and those are for pre-orders, not even hardware in hand.

Last edited:
Not to sound like a Nvidia apologist, but the blame is nearly all on AIBs. Nvidia is actually selling their products AT MSRP ($1200). Keep in mind that it's near impossible to find a true base (non-OCed) 2080ti from an AIB. Almost all of them are OCed cards, many of which have upgraded PCBs and circuitry. They are under absolutely no obligation to sell those for $999, nor should they be. No doubt this means Nvidia has pretty much zero leverage over their AIBs pricing.

That's because it will bear it. Just because it doesn't meet your threshold for value, don't believe for a second the newest GPU that's moved the yardstick for best performing GPU in the world (and actually costs less than a used car) for the first time in over 2 years won't sell out for a little while. I'm seeing sold listings on for upwards of $2k on ebay; and those are for pre-orders, not even hardware in hand.
It's... Neon, sir. It's not much of a defense that the card "actually costs less than a used car."

Last edited:

That's because it will bear it. Just because it doesn't meet your threshold for value, don't believe for a second the newest GPU that's raised the bar (in any significant way - since Titan X pascal to Titan XP wasn't huge) for best performing GPU in the world - while costing less than a used car - for the first time in over 2 years won't sell out for a little while. I'm seeing sold listings on for upwards of $2k on ebay; and those are for pre-orders, not even hardware in hand.

MSRP is 999 not 1200.

"actually costs less than a used car."

That was intended as a hyperbolic statement about Titan V pricing, not "regular" Titan/2080ti pricing. Better said, the 2080ti is the first GPU significantly raising the performance gold standard of a product aimed at consumers rather than professionals/businesses.

MSRP is 999 not 1200.

It's both. MSRP for the FE 2080ti is $1199. This was stated by Nvidia.

Back