How a Man Born without Eyes Plays Video Games

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Toby Ott is not your average gamer: while he enjoys Final Fantasy, Doom, and other typical titles, he has to play them without being able to see. Mr. Ott was born without eyeballs due to a condition called Bilateral Anopthalmia, but that has not stopped him from gaming since he was a child. With the help of friends, Tony is able to memorize button combinations to navigate menus and relies on sound and cheats to get through games.

This is a short documentary about Toby Ott, a man who was born with Bilateral Anopthalmia, or in other words, without eyes. This didn't stop him from discovering the medium of video games, and his childhood interest grew into a lifelong passion. This is a whole new perspective on video games, from the imagination of someone who has never known what it is to have sight. I was inspired to shoot this documentary when Toby emailed me to express how much he enjoyed the content on my channel. After I learned that he had been blind since birth I wanted to know more, and as our correspondence progressed I felt compelled to visit him to hear his story and share it with the world.

Being intentionally obtuse...wouldn't they be -audio- games?

Being less obtuse...I'd be curious if game makers could actually cater to the visually impaired. It's an essentially untapped market because I'm sure most haven't had the patience this gentleman has to actually learn and deal with all the compromises. Something like audio VR with high end headphones that can accurately do footsteps and such. Just spitballin' here. Cool stuff though.

Can we get this guy some glasses already to fix his eyes? How do we not have this technology?

giphy.gif

Being intentionally obtuse...wouldn't they be -audio- games?

Being less obtuse...I'd be curious if game makers could actually cater to the visually impaired. It's an essentially untapped market because I'm sure most haven't had the patience this gentleman has to actually learn and deal with all the compromises. Something like audio VR with high end headphones that can accurately do footsteps and such. Just spitballin' here. Cool stuff though.

Sadly the problem is cost vs return in the eyes of shareholders and profit. :(

You'd be impressed at what has been done for people with disabilities in terms of gaming. It's actually really impressive. http://www.ablegamers.org

Sadly the problem is cost vs return in the eyes of shareholders and profit. :(

You'd be impressed at what has been done for people with disabilities in terms of gaming. It's actually really impressive. http://www.ablegamers.org

Adaptive equipment usually has nice massive markups, though, so I'm sure they could find a way to recoup investment. Most of my adult life was working with disabled adults....take $4 of PVC pipe and turn it into a shower chair and you can sell it for $1000.

Now this is a guy who really doesn't care what his framerates are, LOL (re: a prev thread about how we shouldn't care about framerates).

This dude is dedicated to learn to memorize levels and such just to "play" games. He says he really likes RPG games but HOW IN THE F*CK does he deal with all the inventory BS etc?

This would be awesome challenge: to make a game for people who can't see.

Back