Hovering mouse over the start menu area will make explorer appcrash

Very odd problem.

If i go to start and hover mouse over the menu on the right side my explorer will crash and say appcrash.

Anybody with a solution ? :confused:

what OS???

is it the start menu button, or the applications button???

have you tryed restarting?

i realise thats a duh question.. but you'ed be supprised how many people will fight it tooth and nail.. like its some sort of sin to reboot..

it could be any thing from video drivers than are borked and cant handle transprency, to virus, to failing ram.

do you have a roll back point set that you can try?

Vista 64 bit.

graphics card: 8800 GTS 640 mb ram using latest nvidia drivers

CPU: E6600 Intel Dual Core

Ram: 2x1 gig Corsair DDR

This problem only happened after i had let vista SP 1 be installed onto my pc. :eek: My pc was up to date before i ever installed SP1, also i never installed any RC Vista 1 before either.

I don't have any spyware on my pc. I have Nod32 anti virus, Outpost Firewall, Trojan Remover, a hardware router with NAT and SP.

I can't do the rollback >-<;

Yes i did restart, and reboot my pc a few times actually but it still occured. I had previously thought it only happen because i didn't restart after installing SP1. But this problem stil keeps happening.

And whenever it does crash, it says to refresh it. So it does, but when i hover over it again, it crashes yet again. It's a never ending cycle.

What about just hitting the Windows key? Does that cause it to crash (IE, any activity whatsoever, or just hovering there)?
What about hovering over anything else in the toolbar?

Ill take a screenshot when i get home and post.

But when you click the bottom left start there is a menu pop up.

Well the left side is alright, but the right side has some bugs.

If i hover mouse over my computer TOO LONG as in for 2-3 seconds, it will say explorer appcrash and then ask me to refresh the thing which it does.

If i however hover mouse and click on my computer fast, then this does not happen ..... It's a very odd little quirk. I am so confuddled by this and surprised nobody else has this problem :eek:

Recently i just installed Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath Expansion, but i did not see a start group listed in the start menu. I think something is wrong for this.

I even followed one persons comment to pop in Vista cd and do a repair/check which came out as all alright.

If this persists i will have to reformat and install programs 1 at a time and see if this occurs again. But i rather not so if anyone has any ideas please let me know :[

I have reformated my pc more then a dozen times, and have had my hard drives die on me losing a few hundred gigs worth of data so im not being lazy when i say i rather not reformat if i can help it, especially if this may not solve the problem which would waste my time !

Another issue i notice is my Auzentech volume panel is not automaticly loading ever since SP1 was installed :d

sound card : XFI Auzentech Prelude

I have reformated my pc more then a dozen times, and have had my hard drives die on me losing a few hundred gigs worth of data so im not being lazy when i say i rather not reformat if i can help it, especially if this may not solve the problem which would waste my time !

If you are suggesting that formatting a hard drive kills it? That's absurd. If hard drives are dying it's because they are faulty. And if you're losing a few hundred gigs of data when a hard drive dies, you need to learn to perform backups.

Now, you need to post a screenshot or list the contents of your taskmanager processes tab with processes from all users displayed. Maybe theres an errant program trying to do something like intercept the mouse event of the start button.

If there's nothing from that, then that means something got corrupted. A format and reinstall is the only option you have left.

If you are suggesting that formatting a hard drive kills it? That's absurd. If hard drives are dying it's because they are faulty. And if you're losing a few hundred gigs of data when a hard drive dies, you need to learn to perform backups.

Now, you need to post a screenshot or list the contents of your taskmanager processes tab with processes from all users displayed. Maybe theres an errant program trying to do something like intercept the mouse event of the start button.

If there's nothing from that, then that means something got corrupted. A format and reinstall is the only option you have left.

what this guy said.. however, a format may not be needed, just a repair install, it will keep your programs intact, and you might have to redownload a few patches from windows update

formatting will not kill your harddrive.. like he said.. if it died during a format, it was dieing to begin with..

When you say repair/check, are you talking about sfc /scannow?

Yes i used that but it said there was no problems oddly...

I have the vista 64 bit ultimate disc. This isn't a XP to Vista upgrade disc sort of thing. So no idea why this crops up :eek:

Hm the hard drive data loss is a separate issue. It was probably because i keep my pc running 24/7 so the drive fails and my data is lost. I had some of my hard drives under warranty but that doesn't really help if your important pron and etc is all gone ... poof ....

Now i have a handy external hard drive which i store the data and turn off ! I don't trust dvds because they may scratch.

Anyway i will try the graphics card clean install and see if that solves the problem, if it doesn't work, i will do a reformat -_-; I haven't had the time to post screenshot but i will try today when i get home. Been busy work my apoligys.

I couldn't take a screenshot of the error because print screen won't work during that error.... so i took there other screenshots. As you can see from the start menu, the left side is fine ... ( not sure because i installed CNC3 recently but no start menu was created .... ) on right side if hover mouse too long will appcrash explorer which then prompt to restart it ( not restart pc.... ) which after restarted is same thing if you try to hover again....

Anyway seems nobody knows whats wrong.... i guess ill just reformat...... thanks everyone for trying to help :]

Yea some things are just unexplained... faster to start fresh versus troubleshooting it to the death...

Well, I don't have a solution to your problem, Moogle, but here's something no one's mentioned which may lead to some answers:

If you notice, in the Vista start menu, that you can click on something very fast, and have that program run fine, like My Computer, as you said. It's only when you hover over it that it crashes. Well, what happens in this time that you hover your mouse? The ONLY thing that changes is the picture icon at the top right of the Start Menu. Depending on which item you hover over (Computer, Recent Items, Documents, etc.) this picture changes only after you hover over the word for a second. The image does NOT change when you hover over the things in the left pane of the Start Menu, since those are your 3rd party most recently used programs.

Conclusion? One possibility may be that the icon's image file which is displayed after a second has become corrupt, causing Explorer to crash. It also could be something in the registry or elsewhere which is the command for this changing image that's become corrupt.

One thing you might want to try is switching to the Classic or Windows 2000 interface. There, no icons are displayed in the Start Menu. If Explorer doesn't crash, you have isolated the problem. How to fix it is another story, and I'm not sure what to do, although the suggestions above might help.

Good luck
:)

Conclusion? One possibility may be that the icon's image file which is displayed after a second has become corrupt, causing Explorer to crash. It also could be something in the registry or elsewhere which is the command for this changing image that's become corrupt.

SFC /SCANNOW should've fixed that though...

Not if the file that's corrupted is the icon cache, since it's a dynamic file there's no way for SFC to know if it's corrupted or not.

Actually if you have a custom theme (back in XP I used to)... sfc /scannow will replace all of the customized images.

Remove OUTPOST... Or upgrade to the one released on 29-Feb.

I am so sick and tired of these guys already. Every time they take 6 months to a year to fix a problem. I reported this to them in October.

Actually, remove outpost altogether. It has another issue on 64 bit and it is still not fixed. Rules do not work properly... sometimes it mixes up rules... Sometimes uses rules of other applications for some applications. I was shocked to find out some packets were allowed from my packet sniffer.

This is such a PITA software. Use Comodo. As for me, I have Server 2008 and Comodo does not work for me. I gotta use Symantec Enpoint Security.

I hope you have not formatted. Disabling Outpost will not help. You need to UNINSTALL it.

You can stop the hover crash by switching to classic menu without the right hand pane... But that outpost driver has other nasty issues that causes BSODs and messes up NDIS drivers. This bloody software held me back every time I wanted to upgrade my OS... So many years same stories. And finally i ditched it after this very same problem. I reported them that this was reproducible in 3 different machines with clean installs of Vista x64 and 2008 x64 and they concluded it is my problem!

Back