House Passes Bill To Limit FCC Authority On Net Neutrality

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The U.S. House of Representatives has approved a bill that would prohibit the Federal Communications Commission from regulating broadband pricing under its net neutrality rules.

Critics, including congressional Democrats and consumer and digital right groups, say the bill is overly broad and could eliminate the FCC's authority to protect consumers against unfair pricing models or rule on mobile plans that exempt selected services from monthly data caps. These data cap exemptions allow broadband providers to pick and choose what services qualify, and the FCC should have authority to examine them, critics say. The so-called zero-rating plans "set up ISPs as gatekeepers to users, especially where there is insufficient competition or transparency," the Electronic Frontier Foundation said in a blog post opposing the bill.

This shouldn't be a D vs. R, liberal vs. conservative, or anyone vs. anyone except "everyone vs. monopolists."

If they're going to act like monopolies (there's a case for natural monopolies occurring here) then the ISPs should be treated like monopolies. It's been clear for quite some time that with their unlimited pricing power, limited competition, and possibly the influence of shareholders looking to extract as much rent as possible that the ISPs are going to do nothing but minimum-effort, maximum-profit. All while whining when anyone points this out.

As I recall, didn't the FCC already state that they had zero interest in messing with pricing when they went ahead and put the NN stuff into effect?

As I recall, didn't the FCC already state that they had zero interest in messing with pricing when they went ahead and put the NN stuff into effect?
Yep, but we all know that government once given power tends to expand that power in very unexpected and horrible ways. The last thing we need to the FCC doing to the internet what Obamacare did to medical insurance when the government starting playing around with their pricing and services. Costs sky rocketed and services and availability plummeted.

This is a good move on Congress' part ... in that it prevents it from expanding beyond its initial sphere.

I can't believe some people believe the government should put price controls in place on anything.

Yep, but we all know that government once given power tends to expand that power in very unexpected and horrible ways. The last thing we need to the FCC doing to the internet what Obamacare did to medical insurance when the government starting playing around with their pricing and services. Costs sky rocketed and services and availability plummeted.

Very true... but Wheeler to this point seems to have only done the complete opposite of what Comcast and VZ want despite being a former lobbyist for those very entities. Makes me wonder if he somehow BS'd his way into the position he has now just to grind an axe with them over something. :)

The big fear as I recall when Wheeler was appointed was that he'd just do whatever made Comcast and VZ happy and that's not been the case for the most part thus far.

I guess its all moot though as I can easily see it being Veto'd down the road, and its a long long way before this ever hits Obama's desk.

This shouldn't be a D vs. R, liberal vs. conservative, or anyone vs. anyone except "everyone vs. monopolists."

If they're going to act like monopolies (there's a case for natural monopolies occurring here) then the ISPs should be treated like monopolies. It's been clear for quite some time that with their unlimited pricing power, limited competition, and possibly the influence of shareholders looking to extract as much rent as possible that the ISPs are going to do nothing but minimum-effort, maximum-profit. All while whining when anyone points this out.

Who do you think let them be monopolies? Hint, local government. Government caused the problem and now you some how think government will fix their fuck up.

Anti-consumer, pro-monopoly laws? What a surprise from the corrupt crony capitalism goons.

And the Republicans wonder why their base have turned on them.

Isn't their base the corporation's? I think they're fully in support of this bill.

*edit* for the record. I'd have said the same thing if it was a Democrat bill. I don't see D/R's as being much different since they're both corrupt.

Obama has a chance to do ONE thing right in his presidency. Here it is. The Veto Stamp.

Who do you think let them be monopolies? Hint, local government. Government caused the problem and now you some how think government will fix their fuck up.
Different levels of government. You use the words "let them" so you do know it's the companies that want to be monopolies and have no interest in a competitive market so they aren't going to fix it. Government is the only way it gets fixed either though forced line sharing, pricing controls etc anything that forces a more competitive market.

Exactly. It's because more people are waking up to the fact D and R are the same damn thing. Worthless and out for more power at the expense of the people. Water the tree is what is called for..........

Their Supreme Court appointments certainly aren't the same damn thing, notwithstanding turncoats like Anthony Kennedy, Sandra Day O'Connor, and David Souter. Licensearians lie about both major parties being exactly the same.

Isn't their base the corporation's? I think they're fully in support of this bill.

*edit* for the record. I'd have said the same thing if it was a Democrat bill. I don't see D/R's as being much different since they're both corrupt.

The Republican Party's base consists of devout Christians, Second Amendment enthusiasts, anti-Communists, protesters of the current tax code (and of progressive taxation in general), and others who are cynical of big government, especially under the current administration. Corporations, all of which have policies now that punish employees whose traditional outlooks conflict with the liberals' attempts at social engineering and redefining, have alienated the Republican Party's base, though all the pro-gay policies they've implemented don't appear to have won them many friends among the Democratic Party's base, which still hates the fact that corporations use accountants and other financial experts to retain more of the money that they've earned (and that big government covets).

And the house continues its struggle to ruin everything!

It's fine though. The Senate won't pass an equivalent bill, and even if they were to, it would be vetoed.

I can't believe some people believe the government should put price controls in place on anything.
If you'd ever been a consumer in a monopolized market where they eliminate the competition and then double the price of the remaining product/service, you'd understand. OTOH, if you're one of the monopolists, I understand your position perfectly.

Isn't their base the corporation's?
Their base is the corporations, but the average white middle class worker has been fooled into believing that it's him; he can't get it through his head that the person who's laying him off, and costing him his job, is his boss who gets to keep any extra money he saves by cutting labor costs. Boss says, 'It's all those mexicans who are stealing jobs!'. Instead of, 'I'm stealing your job and moving that job to Mexico, so I can take home another $20,000 a year, sucker, while you can go eat sh!t'.

What do all the 'Con-servatives' have to say about this? So much for Free Market capitalism .... yeah, free to collude and rape consumers with obscene pricing. Already charging 1000X what the service actually costs, but that clearly is not enough. Bravo.

What do all the 'Con-servatives' have to say about this? So much for Free Market capitalism .... yeah, free to collude and rape consumers with obscene pricing. Already charging 1000X what the service actually costs, but that clearly is not enough. Bravo.

My response highlighting my feelings towards Republicans about this is near the beginning.

For the record, there is a huge difference between conservatives and Republicans...

There is a lot I could say about this political wise but all I will say is this:

I and most of the public would say there is no issue here to have created this bill, worked on it, and push it forward. I believe this to be a good example of wasted effort (money) for nothing. I'd like things like this to stop.

one can dream that this would be coupled with opening up infrastructure to competition (no idea howthis is done but i think it has been done elsewhere) then i would have no issues with this law.. otherwise this is just protection of price gouging.

And the house continues its struggle to ruin everything!

It's fine though. The Senate won't pass an equivalent bill, and even if they were to, it would be vetoed.

That's basically the way I see it.

I don't even understand their game plan anymore. If it was driven by greed and self preservation, I could get that. But this seems like it will hurt them far more than anything they would get for in return for taking the 'stigginit' position.

Back