House Bill s.686 Restrict Act could fundementally change the way we use the internet

d3athf1sh

[H]ard|Gawd
aka: the ban tiktok act, house bill s.686 could fundementally change the way we use the internet. now while i'm sure we all know tiktok is a disease thats warping the minds of our youth and a spy tool by the ccp, that i could care less if it disapears, that's not the point. This bill leaves it open for wide reaching restrictions on web usage in this country and leaves a large hole govenment monitoring (spying). a lot of it has to do with them making it illegal and ban any app or program that could be used to communicate with countries on the list which is open to be expanded and the worst part would be the 20 year prison sentence and $250,000 fine you'd be facing for knowingly using a vpn to access a banned app. there's more to it but this guy explains it all way better than i can. but i do think this is something we need to vocally oppose. i'm surprised we haven't heard more about it, but might be one of things they slide through there while nobody's paying attention?

or you can read the bill for yourself. https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/686/text

One thing about the American people. They will do nothing to stop it! Come on over the years nothing. Now on guns still nothing. The government got to be what it is today is because the American people will not stand up! They think by not thinking about it, it will go away. So get ready for the ride! With over 330 million US citizens not caring says a lot to the Government. But if say 150 million or more like 250 million stood up they may listen.

One thing about the American people. They will do nothing to stop it! Come on over the years nothing. Now on guns still nothing. The government got to be what it is today is because the American people will not stand up! They think by not thinking about it, it will go away. So get ready for the ride! With over 330 million US citizens not caring says a lot to the Government. But if say 150 million or more like 250 million stood up they may listen.
just slap the word china on it and they'll agree with it, doesn't matter whats actually on the bill.

Feels a lot like when the government tried to ban rock and roll and then video games. Maybe even prohibition.
150 million American users. Lol good luck banning it.

Looks like Patriot act for the internet. Good thing I dont live in the land of the "free".

Welcome to aquarius Age of Pluto, This will change world,

Last time Pluto was in Aquarius from 1778 to 1798

Welcome to new age of Aquarius in Pluto next 20 years, its fact.

Your going see A.I speed up like never before.

Doesn't this fall under no politics here?
I argue that if it has a direct relationship to technology ( IE bill will change internet usage) it should be allowed assuming it stays civil and with a focus on how the law affects the technology. If it starts becoming democrats vs republicans or is not directly related to begin with like ukraine vs russia, or some geopolitics it should be locked/moved to genmay.

But Im not a moderator here, so I have no control either way, just my argument on the matter.

I get China and Russia, but why Venezuela? They've done nothing to be included in a tech bill. Not that banning China and Russia is a good idea either. If we want competition then we don't want to ban what's on the list of McCarthyism. They just using TikTok as an excuse to make some wide spread serious changes, including what websites you can visit and how effective your VPN is. Where the Republicans with their less government cause this is too much government.

SEC. 3. ADDRESSING INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT POSE UNDUE OR UNACCEPTABLE RISK.

(a) In General.—The Secretary, in consultation with the relevant executive department and agency heads, is authorized to and shall take action to identify, deter, disrupt, prevent, prohibit, investigate, or otherwise mitigate, including by negotiating, entering into, or imposing, and enforcing any mitigation measure to address any risk arising from any covered transaction by any person, or with respect to any property, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States that the Secretary determines—
(1) poses an undue or unacceptable risk of—
(A) sabotage or subversion of the design, integrity, manufacturing, production, distribution, installation, operation, or maintenance of information and communications technology products and services in the United States;
(B) catastrophic effects on the security or resilience of the critical infrastructure or digital economy of the United States;
(C) interfering in, or altering the result or reported result of a Federal election, as determined in coordination with the Attorney General, the Director of National Intelligence, the Secretary of Treasury, and the Federal Election Commission; or
(D) coercive or criminal activities by a foreign adversary that are designed to undermine democratic processes and institutions or steer policy and regulatory decisions in favor of the strategic objectives of a foreign adversary to the detriment of the national security of the United States, as determined in coordination with the Attorney General, the Director of National Intelligence, the Secretary of Treasury, and the Federal Election Commission; or
(2) otherwise poses an undue or unacceptable risk to the national security of the United States or the safety of United States persons
So under which category would tiktok be banned under? (i dont use tiktok). Is it C) interfering with federal election or something else?

I get China and Russia, but why Venezuela? They've done nothing to be included in a tech bill. Not that banning China and Russia is a good idea either. If we want competition then we don't want to ban what's on the list of McCarthyism. They just using TikTok as an excuse to make some wide spread serious changes, including what websites you can visit and how effective your VPN is. Where the Republicans with their less government cause this is too much government.
if you look at the bill it was written and sponsored by democrats

sirmonkey1985 the fact that fox news has been heavily pushing and discussing it was enough for me to know that it needs to be voted down.​

☝️ ☝️ does that change your mind?

imo, if you listen to what exactly is in the bill is enough to know it needs to be voted down

edit: i posted this because i thought it was relevant tech news. not as a reason to debate politics

Last edited:
People just cant help themselves but stand on their milk crates and scream. In before close :p

I argue that if it has a direct relationship to technology ( IE bill will change internet usage) it should be allowed assuming it stays civil and with a focus on how the law affects the technology. If it starts becoming democrats vs republicans or is not directly related to begin with like ukraine vs russia, or some geopolitics it should be locked/moved to genmay.

But Im not a moderator here, so I have no control either way, just my argument on the matter.
IDK, I got strike when I posted a cut/paste link and story title about a bill being propose requiring bloggers to register when doing pieces on high level politicians.

Welcome to aquarius Age of Pluto, This will change world,

Last time Pluto was in Aquarius from 1778 to 1798

Welcome to new age of Aquarius in Pluto next 20 years, its fact.

Your going see A.I speed up like never before.

Pretty sure we were in the age of aquarius in 1969, dude.

IMHO, Chinese spying is rampant throughout the most critical pieces of our banking and government structures. Whatever this TikTok ban thing is supposed to be about, it's not about what they're saying it's about.

Any time Congress acts quickly, it's a bad sign.
This is one of those bills that was already crafted and written by lobbyists well before it was introduced in Congress. The TikTok ban conversation was just the excuse used to do so. It was also used to obfuscate what the bill is really about, which going by a lot of posts here is working.

This is one of those bills that was already crafted and written by lobbyists well before it was introduced in Congress. The TikTok ban conversation was just the excuse used to do so. It was also used to obfuscate what the bill is really about, which going by a lot of posts here is working.
Spittin truth

if you look at the bill it was written and sponsored by democrats

☝️ ☝️ does that change your mind?

imo, if you listen to what exactly is in the bill is enough to know it needs to be voted down

edit: i posted this because i thought it was relevant tech news. not as a reason to debate politics
How many Republicans are going to vote it down? To me Democrats and Republicans are just two sides of the same coin. A very well lobbied coin. I'm not saying Democrats are any better, just that the idea of less government never works. I guarantee you that this bill was lobbied and used TikTok as a cover up in hopes to get it passed.
Nope, it's political and was already posted in the correct section.
Things can be political and tech news at the same time.

the fact that fox news has been heavily pushing and discussing it was enough for me to know that it needs to be voted down.

Here is where we learn who didn't even look at the bill (hint: take a look at who created it)

I think a big part of Fox News went full against it no ?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...ut-making-america-more-like-china/vi-AA19aFyf

Which following your logic, does it make you pro bill 686 ;) ?

Stop making sense - only people with certain viewpoints are allowed to post them here.

That said this bill is completely insane and yet another attempt by pols of a certain bent trying to wrench control of media out of the hands of the general public.

I'm not saying Democrats are any better, just that the idea of less government never works.
US was founded on less government. It worked damned well for about 150 years. Then more government including income taxes, a central bank and entitlements came along and screwed it all up.

Our uniparty only cares about who is going to bribe them the most.

A freedom-focused government works the best, but our government hasn't been freedom-focused in my lifetime. As has been said, this bill is all about control.

US was founded on less government. It worked damned well for about 150 years. Then more government including income taxes, a central bank and entitlements came along and screwed it all up.

Our uniparty only cares about who is going to bribe them the most.

A freedom-focused government works the best, but our government hasn't been freedom-focused in my lifetime. As has been said, this bill is all about control.
When there's less government then there's more corporations. I don't think it actually worked if eventually the big interests took over our government and started to pass laws in their favor. The whole TikTok bill is just a Trojan Horse to give corporations more control over what you consume on the internet. Something Ajit Pai was trying to do. TikTok isn't that big of a deal, but it's on the lips of people and someone thought that this is the excuse they need to pass some nasty laws. TikTok was released in 2016 and it took them this long to realize it was made in China?
ex_vAp1LjvZF7u5VwaY0TH1qJDczxgPDJjLLZJyGUMs.jpg

Last edited:
When there's less government then there's more corporations. I don't think it actually worked if eventually the big interests took over our government and started to pass laws in their favor. The whole TikTok bill is just a Trojan Horse to give corporations more control over what you consume on the internet. Something Ajit Pai was trying to do. TikTok isn't that big of a deal, but it's on the lips of people and someone thought that this is the excuse they need to pass some nasty laws. TikTok was released in 2016 and it took then this long to realize it was made in China?
The Trojan Horse analogy seems appropriate and the fact that TikTok is made in China is convenient. This is the current iteration of the cyclical demonizing of something to push an overt agenda with an upside for unintended consequences. Jazz was the enemy at one point in time, then rock and roll, then heavy metal, then rap, etc. Protecting the children is something we can all agree on, right? Then let's enact some reactionary legislation to protect the children and if you don't agree, you hate children!

Is it wrong to think that a digital bill of rights and/or digital right to privacy would be a better use of our legislative efforts from a benefit to society perspective?

I truly think there could be a way for a government to exist that can put pressure on hostile-to-society business practices, yet not create laws that interfere with our personal freedoms and what we do on the internet and in our own homes. So "small government" doesn't necessarily need to mean "weak government," but instead, it needs to mean "Small Scope" government, ensuring that it uses its powers in a way that isn't overbearing or oppressive, and most certainly, is not used AGAINST the people, as if the government viewed "we the people" as the enemy.

In this issue, it would mean prohibiting selling or giving our data to a foreign government, but not necessarily control what we input/output as data to a server, such as Hardforum, TikTok, Twitter, or anything else like that.

The idea is to protect us without getting in the way and making us feel like we are losing freedoms and rights. Anytime the protection gets in the way of our freedoms, rights, and other concepts like that, then that "protection" must be severely questioned to see if it is actually necessary, or if it is just more oppression. And of course, one law that hasn't been passed is a severe, strict, punitive law against lobbying and the very framework that allows oppressive, tyrannical laws to be passed in the first place.

So what is really going on here? MrCaffeineX is right; why exactly don't we have laws that specifically protect us and our speech? Why do we feel increasingly censored on the internet? Why do new laws keep coming up that have no "we the people" support, and somehow actually get passed? Who is voting for these things? Who are these people and why do they have so much power, and why do we have so little?

Last edited:
In this issue, it would mean prohibiting selling or giving our data to a foreign government, but not necessarily control what we input/output as data to a server, such as Hardforum, TikTok, Twitter, or anything else like that.
I am not sure if this is the good way to think about data in the 2020s, big company I do not think never sell them, they do not lie about that.

They sell how good they are at using them themselves for their clients needs, google use data to sells well targeted ads to people that want to reach their target audience, they do not sell data to them and so on or at least do not need to for them to use them to have pay people pay them to change what action and what we do with ours days.

Google selling data would be opening the door for them to end up in the hands of Microsoft, it is something precious, same with Facebook-Apple and vice versa, a lot of them refuse to share them to anyone and protect them preciously, they can add a lot of value to something that is not worth much without the expertise, reach, giant infrastructure to use it. Smaller guy (some credit cards intermediary, airbnb, lift) maybe sell them to those giants, but I doubt it happen much the other way around versus selling them service that use data.

I am not sure how an body of elected official could ever be confident that a Chinese company does not give data to a foreign government, putting has many actual local server and expert firm access to the location, specially with how much it is a political show and not just or mainly an actual thing.

The big issue for many is the influencing power of the app and how much it can get geared in certain direction and this require absolutely no sharing of data with the foreign government, nothing much can be done in that regard. But it is a more complex idea and less politically correct one than the more material data mining by a foreign entity.

Just look how valuable having keep your data and not sold it is now with AI training on them for the microsoft-apple-google-facebook, quora and others that refused to sell their datas all these years will probably be really happy to have done so, the value of a chatgpt 6 that has been quora trained for years, interacting with the users for feedback could be quite interesting.

Last edited:
I truly think there could be a way for a government to exist that can put pressure on hostile-to-society business practices, yet not create laws that interfere with our personal freedoms and what we do on the internet and in our own homes.
You tax products made outside of the country. Other countries do it all the time, and if they don't pay they don't play. You don't see this because lots of American businesses operate outside of America.
So "small government" doesn't necessarily need to mean "weak government," but instead, it needs to mean "Small Scope" government, ensuring that it uses its powers in a way that isn't overbearing or oppressive, and most certainly, is not used AGAINST the people, as if the government viewed "we the people" as the enemy.
Small governments are weak to corruption. Big governments with a strong democracy is less likely to have this issue.
So what is really going on here? MrCaffeineX is right; why exactly don't we have laws that specifically protect us and our speech? Why do we feel increasingly censored on the internet? Why do new laws keep coming up that have no "we the people" support, and somehow actually get passed? Who is voting for these things? Who are these people and why do they have so much power, and why do we have so little?
The answer is obvious. Lobbying has caused our government to shift interests to those more equal. Wealthy people aren't exactly effected by these laws. The poor and middle class just find more landmines they could easily step on.

It's really horrifying that the people making these laws could not tell you the difference between a mouse and keyboard, or think that everything lives on "The Google". We're truly fucked, aren't we?

It's really horrifying that the people making these laws could not tell you the difference between a mouse and keyboard, or think that everything lives on "The Google". We're truly fucked, aren't we?
That is cuz so many of them in office are so old they still remember segregated water fountains in their schools. Technology has come a long way since then lol.

That is cuz so many of them in office are so old they still remember segregated water fountains in their schools. Technology has come a long way since then lol.
This is why we need term limits. Too many geezers out of touch with today's society in office.

Back