Hottest Boards These Days?

around ~100 msi b450 is your best option (avoid cheaper msi x570 boards)

~150-200 the asus tuf x570 has great VRM, asrock steel legend x570 is also solid

~200-250 the taichi is an excellent choice

I'm curioujs about your posts. Aren't B450/X570 boards made by the same manufacturers who made Z370/Z390 boards. Aren't they pretty similar in terms of ports and chips other than the Intel/AMD chipset?

Yes and no.
Am4 guys may or may not care about bleeding edge mem topology and vrm capability to maintain all core boost. They simply overbuy.

Intel guys have been shepherded into a 9900 top that hasn't moved so the bulk of z370 is fine for them.

I find it amusing.

Yes and no.
Am4 guys may or may not care about bleeding edge mem topology and vrm capability to maintain all core boost. They simply overbuy.

Intel guys have been shepherded into a 9900 top that hasn't moved so the bulk of z370 is fine for them.

I find it amusing.
Trying to understand what you're trying to say here. Are you implying AM4 customers aren't interested in premium hardware?

eh...
The 9900k(f,s whatever) really needs a mid-high end board to shine as it consumes a fair amount of power and to maintain that, you need decent VRMS. When overclocked it can consume >200W

Z390 boards generally have better VRMs on them than Z370, and Gigabyte boards seem to be the top end of this.

The AM4 chips (especially high end) need just as much VRM support, if not more due to more cores.

Again Gigabyte boards seem to be the top end of this

Hope this clarifies some stuff

Last edited:
eh...
The 9900k(f,s whatever) really needs a mid-high end board to shine as it consumes a fair amount of power and to maintain that, you need decent VRMS. When overclocked it can consume >200W

Z390 boards generally have better VRMs on them than z370, and Gigabyte boards seem to be the top end of this.

The AM4 chips (especially high end) need just as much VRM support, if not more due to more cores.

Again Gigabyte boards seem to be the top end of this

Hope this clarifies some stuff
Hey man, +1, +2 and +3 for that massive spreadsheet you did for AM4 boards. I've been using ASUS boards since probably the mid-90s, but I'm open to a change. What's your judgment about ASUS vs. Gigabyte BIOS. Ease of use? Options, freqency of updates?

I didn’t make those spreadsheets, I just googled :)

Bios wise, having used Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte boards, I’m not fussed with either of them in terms of usability. They all call things different names, they all put some of their settings in strange places.

Asrock tend to put more options in their lower range bioses than the other two. Certainly I have more options in the Z390 Aorus than I've had on any other board, ever. Not to mention an obscene number of fan control points

In terms of speed of updates, Asrock>Gigabyte>Asus.

I’ve not had a bad Gigabyte or Asrock board, I’ve had several bad Asus boards, whether this is bad luck or coincidence, not sure. I’ve also generally been disappointed with Asus boards, typically lack something vs competitors at the same price range. This has just been my personal experience over the last 25 years. Ymmv

Last edited:
ASRock b450+wtfe Ryzen is the gutter option.

Z370/390 I'm really not sure since we aren't affected as much. I see a lot of primo mobos used in the Intel space compared to straight up hit garbage in the am4 space.

For the record I use good Intel mobos and Garbo am4.
Am4 guys trip off things without testing, so I did it and found they're probably overspending.
Curioous too about your comment about AM4 garbage and Intel Promo. can you elaborate? Maybe by looking at AMD I'm looking at the wrong side of things?

around ~100 msi b450 is your best option (avoid cheaper msi x570 boards)

~150-200 the asus tuf x570 has great VRM, asrock steel legend x570 is also solid

~200-250 the taichi is an excellent choice
How abot a Gigabyte 450? I was looking at the Aurous. However, I'd rather not have the HDMI/DVI motherboard ports because I'm not buying an onboard AMD video CPU. I'd rather save that money and have better cooling (fanless) and more USB 3 or wifi built in.Having one LAN port seems lacking because LAN is the goo to connection, and if it fails and you only have one port, you're fucked. I've also see AMD ATX boards with ONE PCIe 16 and ONE PCIe 8 and that's it? WTF? lol

How abot a Gigabyte 450? I was looking at the Aurous. However, I'd rather not have the HDMI/DVI motherboard ports because I'm not buying an onboard AMD video CPU. I'd rather save that money and have better cooling (fanless) and more USB 3 or wifi built in.Having one LAN port seems lacking because LAN is the goo to connection, and if it fails and you only have one port, you're fucked. I've also see AMD ATX boards with ONE PCIe 16 and ONE PCIe 8 and that's it? WTF? lol

Gigabyte b450 boards have mediocre VRMs from what I have read/seen.

Back