Hottest Boards These Days?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
What are most people using these days for either AMD or Intel, and is AMD the "thing" currently? Back in the day it was Gigabyte and EVGA.

Also, any specific type over another, and why?

What are most people using these days for either AMD or Intel, and is AMD the "thing" currently? Back in the day it was Gigabyte and EVGA.

I'm planning a new build so I've just started my research. Ryzen is the way to go these days.

The most recommended and popular board now that is trouble free is X570 AORUS MASTER

Distant second is Asus ROG Crosshair VIII
OK that was my last board brand, the gig x58 I had som much problems with not identifying RAM. lol. I'm familiar with them though. Are all Gig boards okay, or just a few of them?

I don't need bells and whistles, but I would like a dedicated Wifi / BT 5.0 in the MB. If not, it's not a deal breaker. I also need to have the BIOS control the fans, and not just the CPU fan. So I guess you would call that a temp controlling system. I don't want to F-around with fan controllers and speed fan this time. Iideally, the CMOS controller would allow control of the CPU fan and at least two other fans and allow temperatures to be set for increasing fan speed. The last part is not a deal breaker as long as the MB does a good job of keeping fans spinning slowly enough when CPU temp is acceptable. More than anything, I want low cost and rock solid reliability. I'm not going to be doing any OCing this time around.

MSI Unify X570 for me, nothing else was nearly as great for the price IMO

I just got a Gigabyte master for my 3950x. I like it so far. Granted I haven't got into the bios other then seeing if it post since I am doing up a whole new custom water cooling with hardline tube.

How about preformance and options on lower end boards, guys, say below $100.00? Iknow you can get a good board for 400.00 USD, but what about 100 or lower?

How about preformance and options on lower end boards, guys, say below $100.00? Iknow you can get a good board for 400.00 USD, but what about 100 or lower?

In X570, it's unlikely that you're going to get something under $100. I've seen the Asus X570-P board go for $135 or so, and that's about as low as I'd go personally. The ASRock boards near that same price point have a silly PCIe x16 location (the very top slot) that interferes with HSF's. Cheap X570 MSI boards have very hot running VRM's.

My needs dictated that I get the MSI Prestige Creation.

I needed the four NVME connections, the 10GB LAN onboard, and the 90° ATX connector.

The most recommended and popular board now that is trouble free is X570 AORUS MASTER

Distant second is Asus ROG Crosshair VIII

Ungh, that Aorus looks quite nice. My mouth is watering after reading "Triple PCIe 4.0 M.2" :eek:

I got kinda burned on Gigabyte with the last motherboard I had from them, but I think it was just a one-off situation.

FYI the whole Aorus stack is good if you want to save some money.. I got the X570 Aorus Pro Wifi, it has zero issues and the VRM is excessive FAR beyond any power a 3950x is going to be able to take without LN2.

Master really isn't worth the extra $100 to me unless you really want that third m.2 slot. MAYBE if 4000 series is compatible with these boards the VRM on the master and other top end boards will pay off in ambient overclocking, but I'm not expecting to see that given how difficult it is to squeeze any more frequency out of these chips.

Ungh, that Aorus looks quite nice. My mouth is watering after reading "Triple PCIe 4.0 M.2" :eek:

I got kinda burned on Gigabyte with the last motherboard I had from them, but I think it was just a one-off situation.
depending on budget, while it doesn't have the manual setting for dual bios and the VRM is not quite as good, the ultra also has the 3 m.2's and is a bit less expensive. Have had mine since release and been through all the bios updates and the board has been rock solid,

Almost got an Aorus Master, until I was able to get the x570 Taichi for $240. Great board so far!

I got the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max two weeks ago ... very nice board, excellent VRM section (for overclocking), will post with a Ryzen 3 series out of the box and best value for the money

MSI product page https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX

if you don't plan on using SLI go with a B450 and use the $$$ you will save on a better CPU or GPU card

Last edited:
I got the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max two weeks ago ... very nice board, excellent VRM section (for overclocking), will post with a Ryzen 3 series out of the box and best value for the money

MSI product page https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX

if you don't plan on using SLI go with a B450 and use the $$$ you will save on a better CPU or GPU card

Possibly a dumb question, because I have never (yet) done SLI. If X570 boards have 24 lanes, with 16 intended for graphics, then what happens if you run 2 cards? 8+8? Is that better performance than just 1 16? I'm not trolling, I honestly don't know and I want to learn.

Possibly a dumb question, because I have never (yet) done SLI. If X570 boards have 24 lanes, with 16 intended for graphics, then what happens if you run 2 cards? 8+8? Is that better performance than just 1 16? I'm not trolling, I honestly don't know and I want to learn.
If I remember correctly, the drop from x16 to x8 is like, a couple of percentage points. I think it's because nothing really saturates 16 lanes anyways. Someone correct me if I'm remembering that wrong, though.

The gigabyte z390 series for intel seem to be very good, if you’re looking for intel

Honestly boards have gotten really expensive lately. Used to be able to get a monster overclocking board for around 150. Since the cpus are now already pretty close to max OC out of the box, it's pretty hard to get any additional headroom (especially on zen 2), so the boards really need to be overkill to force a few % more performance. It's so far from the old 25-50% OC Headroom we used to see that it's almost pointless, other than ALL CORE oc's over 4.3ghz. But for most games, it doesn't yield a huge boost going all core.

Honestly boards have gotten really expensive lately. Used to be able to get a monster overclocking board for around 150. Since the cpus are now already pretty close to max OC out of the box, it's pretty hard to get any additional headroom (especially on zen 2), so the boards really need to be overkill to force a few % more performance. It's so far from the old 25-50% OC Headroom we used to see that it's almost pointless, other than ALL CORE oc's over 4.3ghz. But for most games, it doesn't yield a huge boost going all core.
These days it's more about shopping for onboard features. Better Ethernet, more m.2 slots, WiFi/bt (big one for me), number and type of usb ports, etc.

I have a little feedback to give on my MSI Prestige Creation X570 now that I have my new system up and running

1 -- The massive Rear I/O heat sink is a little too big. I'm using an O11 Dynamic XL case and the radiator/fan cannot slide to its rear-most position because the fan hits the corner of the heat sink.

The only "fix" is either run the radiator closer to the front of the case or grab an angle grinder and lop off part of the heat sink.

2 - The board is advertised as having four M.2 NVME mounts but only 3 are detected/can be used

From the mobo manual:

2 x M.2 slots (Key M)*
M2_1 slot (from AMD® Processor) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™)
M2_2 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™)

M2_1(CPU) PCIe 4.0 x4
M2_2(PCH) PCIe 4.0 x4

Also from the mobo manual:

PCI_E5 supports PCIe 4.0 x8 (for the Frozer Card installation which contains two M.2 Slots) for a total of FOUR M.2 NVME SSDs

Or at least that's my experience so far...maybe I'm missing something...I admit it's possible I'm wrong but I can't stay in BIOS long enough to figure it out. (not that there's a problem...I just really really HATE MSI's BIOS...

Other than that it's okay so far...but that's from just a couple days' experience with it...

I am using Asrock completely on all of my builds, one ATX and two mITX builds. I prefer them because the provide Ultra Fast boot and no other manufacturer does so. I will buy Asus and MSI to use for building computer for others, however.

Almost everyone in this thread is recommending high tier expensive mobos when OP wants something modest I think.

"Hottest Boards These Days?

any that don't have adequate airflow ;)

B450 will give the same FPS in gaming, has quality components and has similar overclocking results as the X470 and X570. The X570 does have more VRM (12+2?) than the B450 and where the B450 can handle up to an 8 core CPU the X570 can handle a 12 to 16 core. Other than that it comes down to features and eye candy

Here's a video that clearly explains why most gamers only need a B450 MoBo

Last edited:
I am using Asrock completely on all of my builds, one ATX and two mITX builds. I prefer them because the provide Ultra Fast boot and no other manufacturer does so. I will buy Asus and MSI to use for building computer for others, however.

FYI My Gigabyte X570 Master boots to desktop from cold in about 5 seconds if it hasn't been unplugged - about 12 seconds if it was unplugged or PSU was switched off. I was surprised it would be this quick. Simply used the optimized settings in BIOS (v11) and PCI/NVM based SSD.

OP: I just jumped to an AMD setup after having nothing but Intel for the past... ever it seems! Very happy with the 3900X and X570 at the moment.

Last edited:
ASRock b450+wtfe Ryzen is the gutter option.

Z370/390 I'm really not sure since we aren't affected as much. I see a lot of primo mobos used in the Intel space compared to straight up hit garbage in the am4 space.

For the record I use good Intel mobos and Garbo am4.
Am4 guys trip off things without testing, so I did it and found they're probably overspending.

ASRock b450+wtfe Ryzen is the gutter option.

Z370/390 I'm really not sure since we aren't affected as much. I see a lot of primo mobos used in the Intel space compared to straight up hit garbage in the am4 space.

For the record I use good Intel mobos and Garbo am4.
Am4 guys trip off things without testing, so I did it and found they're probably overspending.
I'm curios about your posts. Aren't B450/X570 boards made by the same manufacturers who made Z370/Z390 boards. Aren't they pretty similar in terms of ports and chips other than the Intel/AMD chipset?

Last edited:
Back