Hotmail and outlook... they finally did it

thedude42

Limp Gawd
well, not sure if this is the right place to post this, or how many people care, but it pissed me off pretty good.

so, my outlook was having major issues all night connecting to hotmail, though it worked fine earlier in the day. i tried messing with the outlook pst file, maybe that was corrupted or somehting.

finally i delete the account in outlook and try to re-create it.... bam, message returned from server: you must have a pay account to use this service with outlook.

i thought they weren't going to impliment this thing until april of 2005? i'm guessing maybe there's something wierd and encrypted in the pst file for the date it was created by the hotmail server that disallows accounts from accessing hotmail from outlook if they weren't using it before microsoft decided to cut off access. this of course would mean anyone who formated and re-installed windows would also have this problem, but i haven't heard anything yet.

oh well, fyi everyone. i always liked being able to save my hotmail that i wanted to save using drag-and-drop, and manage junk mail with outlook rather than the somewhat cumbersome web interface. i wish gmail would go live soon, but i hate having to start new with another e mail address after having this one for almost 5 years.

thedude42 said:
i wish gmail would go live soon
"Soon?" Granted it's still labeled beta, but lots of people are using it exclusively now, and pop3 solutions are available. Go check the thread in Free Stuff if you need to scrounge up an invite.

Pop access is available on gmail accounts. Some people might now have it yet, it think they are implementing it in waves.

ok, so my laziness shows.... i haven't looked very hard for a gmail account. thanks for the tip!

i'm going to need to make some major changes if i stick with gmail. i just hope they don't pull the drug dealer line on everyone the way microsoft has. i'll browse arounf the features and see what i can come up with. thanks again!

Back