Hotfix 375.76 Driver Fixes Animation Artifacts, 144 Hz Flicker

The flicker is why I dumped my Dell S2716DG. I could only use old drivers (368.69 I believe). Way to go Nvidia for taking several months to fix the issue. Paying over $1100 for a 1080 and this monitor and have issues like this... Yeah, no more "premium" products for me I guess.

This hot fix completely broke folding on my 1080 - downloads a WU and immediately fails, even at stock clocks. It does it over and over.

Yes, I DDUd my old 373.06 drivers in safe mode.

The good news is that I didn't get a black screen indoors (usually in a cave) when I played the Skyrim 2016 edition. I would randomly get that with 373.06, and had to save and exit - which was weird that the interface still worked.

I'm on a 60hz monitor and have never experienced any gif artifacts on 375.70.

I too will just wait for the next official release.

Maybe it's another Windows 10 / Pascal issue?

I'm on a 60hz monitor and have never experienced any gif artifacts on 375.70.

I too will just wait for the next official release.

Maybe it's another Windows 10 / Pascal issue?
It only happens in Chrome. I've read in several other places that simply updating Chrome will fix the artifacting issue.

It only happens in Chrome. I've read in several other places that simply updating Chrome will fix the artifacting issue.

Strange I haven't encountered it considering I use Opera, which is based on Chrome....

Strange I haven't encountered it considering I use Opera, which is based on Chrome....
Chromium, actually. Chrome is Google's version of a browser based on Chromium, so the final code is still going to be different.

Well, without thread-jacking, after switching from Chrome to Opera this year, I haven't looked back.

No memory leaks, it's never crashed ONCE. Good stuff.

The flicker is why I dumped my Dell S2716DG. I could only use old drivers (368.69 I believe). Way to go Nvidia for taking several months to fix the issue. Paying over $1100 for a 1080 and this monitor and have issues like this... Yeah, no more "premium" products for me I guess.

I have a 1070 and my S2716DG, after whatever chrome update I had the black gif issue... solved very easily by just disabling hardware acceleration in chrome. Either way it will be fixed both in the next nvidia driver this month, and in the next chrome update.

Seems like you threw the baby out with the bathwater, because I've had nothing but an awesome experience with my S2716DG / GTX 1070 setup.

Seems like you threw the baby out with the bathwater, because I've had nothing but an awesome experience with my S2716DG / GTX 1070 setup.

No, not really. I did a full reformat and the flickering would not stop. If I selected 120hz, no flicker, if I went back to 144hz, then no flicker. If I restarted at 144hz then I get flicker. It was annoying. People were complaining about this same exact issue. You have a 1070, I had a 1080. I also had an A03 revision 2716DG.... Maybe you have an A01 or A02. Who knows if that made a difference. I paid more for my hardware so I expect it would work as expected. I am not waiting months for a driver update that would fix my issues.

Oh and before the baseless fanboy accusations come out of the wood work, I would have done this regardless what brand I had. I went Nvidia because I was tired of the AMD issues. I have no problem with Nvidia products and still own a GTX 1060.

Updating Chrome fixed this for me prior to the driver hotfix. Glad that they're actually taking the time to fix things like this, though. While certainly a gaming rig, I use my machine for everything. Non-gaming issues are issues too.

I am now having artifactting, green screens and the occasional freezes with youtube in Chrome with these drivers. Sometimes it takes about 10 minutes or so but it will happen. I dont see the same issues in Firefox though.

EDIT: Lol literally seconds after I posted this Chrome updated so hopefully that fixed it...

Last edited:
Anyone having issues with VR and these drivers? I tried doing some VR after having not for awhile (though I have been giving my PC a workout with Rise of the Tomb Raider, so it should be stable) and in Raw Data I got a "Kernel security check failed" BSOD within about 5 minutes of starting the game. Rebooted and tried to verify the game cache for Raw Data, failed finding a file, started to download it again and then...another BSOD. I've also gotten "Memory Management", "IRQ Not less or equal" and something related to pool memory BSODs within a short time after trying to play this game. Zero issues before I tried to go play VR. Almost seems like it fucked up something in the OS when that game crashed.

Rebooting out of Safe Mode gave me a "Reference by Pointer" BSOD...lol wtf.

EDIT: Pretty sure now this was not driver related.

Last edited:
Anyone having issues with VR and these drivers? I tried doing some VR after having not for awhile (though I have been giving my PC a workout with Rise of the Tomb Raider, so it should be stable) and in Raw Data I got a "Kernel security check failed" BSOD within about 5 minutes of starting the game. Rebooted and tried to verify the game cache for Raw Data, failed finding a file, started to download it again and then...another BSOD. I've also gotten "Memory Management", "IRQ Not less or equal" and something related to pool memory BSODs within a short time after trying to play this game. Zero issues before I tried to go play VR. Almost seems like it fucked up something in the OS when that game crashed.

Rebooting out of Safe Mode gave me a "Reference by Pointer" BSOD...lol wtf.

Have you tried running "sfc /scannow" from a command prompt opened as admin? You might want to try it from safe mode to be on the safe side.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Have you tried running "sfc /scannow" from a command prompt opened as admin? You might want to try it from safe mode to be on the safe side.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

I will give that a shot. I am actually suspecting memory issues now, but it seems fairly random that trying to play VR would cause my memory to crap out all of a sudden.

EDIT: I think it was loose memory. Not sure how that happened, but I did replace a couple of case fans and maybe the memory got bumped a little or something. Memtest was throwing all sorts of errors but after a reseat, it seems to be working fine. Not driver related, sorry.

Last edited:
I caved, went ahead and did a DDU and installed this driver because I was having issues with G-Sync in Skyrim and then Modern Warfare Remastered. Doing so fixed all of my G-Sync issues. Unfortunately I lost my installation of GFE v2 in the process, and fuck if I'm going to install v3.

I caved, went ahead and did a DDU and installed this driver because I was having issues with G-Sync in Skyrim and then Modern Warfare Remastered. Doing so fixed all of my G-Sync issues. Unfortunately I lost my installation of GFE v2 in the process, and fuck if I'm going to install v3.

oh, does it fix low fps with G-sync in skyrim? Cause I'm on .75 and had to disable in-game vsync and set 60 fps cap in afterburner to have it work normally.

oh, does it fix low fps with G-sync in skyrim? Cause I'm on .75 and had to disable in-game vsync and set 60 fps cap in afterburner to have it work normally.
No, I have to do that as well to get it working normally. But before I did a clean install I couldn't even get that working. I had framerate issues in Skyrim with G-Sync no matter what I tried. When I saw Modern Warfare Remastered having similar issues is when I decided to do the clean install.

Awesome. I was stuck with both of those issues, especially the 144Hz flickering which was very annoying. I was working around it before by setting my GPU to "Prefer Maximum Performance" in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but now I can use Optimal Power and my idle temps are down to 25-27C on water. Very nice.

GIFs look good again too. Thumbs up on these drivers.

Still having crazy issues for the last 3 drivers in a row now. Again YouTube it's f***** up for me after maybe 15 or 20 minutes of playing different videos as I will get artifacting and then eventually a green screen and at some point it will finally just freeze up completely and Chrome will stop responding. No issues at all with Firefox though.

Still having crazy issues for the last 3 drivers in a row now. Again YouTube it's f***** up for me after maybe 15 or 20 minutes of playing different videos as I will get artifacting and then eventually a green screen and at some point it will finally just freeze up completely and Chrome will stop responding. No issues at all with Firefox though.

Is Firefox playing an MP4 stream or WEBM? When I QA our videos Chrome always defaults to MP4 and Firefox is picking up our WEBM stream.

In Skyrim SE for me the issue was that the game's executable apparently did not have any nv profile attached to it and was running in plain old v-sync (odd, usually g-sync works with anything). I added it to the old Skyrim profile in nvinspector and got g-sync working fine. Still had to cap fps at 60 though since Skyrim above 60fps gets fucked up with physics and in-game time.

I'm not on the .76 driver but the one before that.

In Skyrim SE for me the issue was that the game's executable apparently did not have any nv profile attached to it and was running in plain old v-sync (odd, usually g-sync works with anything). I added it to the old Skyrim profile in nvinspector and got g-sync working fine. Still had to cap fps at 60 though since Skyrim above 60fps gets fucked up with physics and in-game time.

I'm not on the .76 driver but the one before that.
Strange... If there is no profile with overrides then it should default to using the global settings.

You can control/override whatever app vs hw acceleration using Afterburner's RTSS. Here's a guide prevent this annoying issues.

The AMD How To Thread

Been waiting a while for this. Ever since the move from 368 -> 370+ the 144hz flicker bug has been annoying the shit out of me and I had to run at 120hz instead. This driver fixed the issue, for me at least.

Back