Hotel Fines $500 For Every Bad Review Posted Online

Trying to stifle the bad reviews instead of trying to stifle the bad behavior that caused the bad reviews is like swerving into oncoming traffic to avoid rear-ending a slow vehicle; it's choosing the one thing that is worse than what you were doing.

They're claiming it was a joke now. Still, pretty poor taste.

And EA charging for demos was a "mistake."

Amazing how fast companies can spin spin spin the truth to outright lies when they get caught in a public out roar.

The sad thing is the clueless owners of this inn probably still have no idea where they really went wrong, and probably still feel entitled to screwing people like this. I promise you have they have learned absolutely nothing and will consider the hit on sales to be some sort of "internet related fluke" and are actively conniving other ways to screw people.

I tried to look up the owners or pictures of them to find what kind of idiot would think of this, but couldn't find anything.

There is no such thing as bad publicity.....

Now X % of more people know about this place and therefore will get more bookings...

I believe they stated somewhere that they were kidding or it was a joke (something like that).

Probably marketing genius actually.:D

I just read somewhere that GM's sales were UP the past few months. After announcing recalls on millions of vehicles where some people have died because of faulty ignition switches their sales are UP! Why....???

Because X % of more people are now physically at the dealership to bring in their car for repair and while they were there...bought a new car.

There is no such ting as bad publicity.

There is no such thing as bad publicity.....

Tell that to Amy's Baking Company...

I am pretty sure the only "increase" in business that they got was people loitering around, taking pictures and trying to see how crazy the owners actually were, without actually buying anything.

Tell that to Amy's Baking Company...

I am pretty sure the only "increase" in business that they got was people loitering around, taking pictures and trying to see how crazy the owners actually were, without actually buying anything.

Yes and everyone knows who they are. I think they are trying to cash in on some merchandising (whether or not they are making money from it I don't know). I'd be willing to bet someone will offer them a reality show....

The publicity idea only extends to businesses who offer a service, usually entertainment, not a product. When asbestos got a bad rep for giving people cancer demand for the product did not suddenly surge. Nobody is going to make a reservation for a business lauded for their poor customer service and dirty living conditions.

The publicity idea only extends to businesses who offer a service, usually entertainment, not a product. When asbestos got a bad rep for giving people cancer demand for the product did not suddenly surge. Nobody is going to make a reservation for a business lauded for their poor customer service and dirty living conditions.

Huh? Wtf? No offense but, your post makes zero sense.

"We charge $500 per bad review"
Everybody's angry, bad publicity.
"We're just kidding"
Some people think they are lying, but most are like "Haha funny, let's stay there"
Good publicity.

I wonder if they didn't rescind that $500 fine, if people complained to BBB and their CC, that might have hurt their business almost as much as the bad reputation for frivolously fining their customers.

"We're just kidding"
Some people think they are lying, but most are like "Haha funny, let's stay there"
Good publicity.

Unless they manage to get all those 1 star reviews fixed no its not good. If I was looking for a place and seen a huge amount of bad reviews I'm not gonna read them all to see if their fake. I will skip it over completely and I'm sure lots of other would to. On the same note I have a hard time trusting places rated at 5 star reviews, only ones I bother reading are the ones with lots of 3-4stars cause they tend to be the most honest and lay out the issues and tell me if its something I can handle for their price point.

"We're just kidding"
Good publicity.

I'm pretty sure everyone believes they are lying. This has happened before with other merchants, they only said they were kidding after the internet ganged up on them, there are reviews over a year old complaining about actually being stiffed for the $500 so now we know it's true, and in all honesty this kind of sheisty business practice is almost expected these days. It's too believable not to be true as sad as that sounds.

Looks like their ratings got reset after the Internet fucked them. They only have 29 one star when they were over 700 at one point.

Looks like their ratings got reset after the Internet fucked them. They only have 29 one star when they were over 700 at one point.
Hopefully they'll get back to 700 sooner than later. :p

Jimmy Fallon made fun of this the other day on his Tonight Show, saying that people are posting 5-star reviews filled with sarcasm, such as (I'm paraphrasing here): "I had such a great night at this hotel. I never had a bedbug bite until my stay, but if I could give the hotel a star for each bite, I'd give them 40 stars!"

:D

Kind of pathetic that yelp or places will reset the reviews. They wanted fame, they got it. If those has been fake good reviews because they saved a cat in a tree I bet they wouldn't get reset.

Back