Hot: Verizon FiOS internet service 5mb/2mb - $34.99/mo, free install

Oh4Sh0

2[H]4U
It's only avaliable in select cities where they have fiber running. Got mine installed today in Fort Wayne, IN. No install charge, includes a ups for the line in case of power failure, and a D-link DI-624 wireless router. (I'm sure they'll go back to verizon after the end of the service) No initial charges at all. Requires a 12-mo commitment. First speedtest ran gave me 4800/1700 on speakeasy chicago. Very nice considering the advertised is 5mb/2mb. Closest comparable pricing (atleast at my location) is Comcast cable 6mb/768kbps for 45.99/mo + install fee.

I'm not sure how many cities this is avaliable in, but if you're in a decent sized city and paying >$40 or are unsatisfied with your internet service check it out. I imagine their no installation fees, etc won't last very long.

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHom...C&PromoTCode=DNI01&PromoSrcCode=B&POEId=TL1HP

The best part about FIOS is the upload, cable cannot get close to that. (not yet, only in extremely limited areas with extreme packages for higher price even)

NEODARK said:
The best part about FIOS is the upload, cable cannot get close to that. (not yet, only in extremely limited areas with extreme packages for higher price even)

my cable company's base connection is 15/2. for $10 extra a month, you can go to 30/2, with the ability to run your own servers.

dualblade said:
my cable company's base connection is 15/2. for $10 extra a month, you can go to 30/2, with the ability to run your own servers.
for 10 extra a month you can go 15/2 on fios, too. But what do ya need all that dl for? lol.

dualblade said:
Sounds like your using Optimum and that "extra" service is Optimum Boost. Boost is comming to my area in June... can't wait.

inscape01 said:
How can they block port 80 when that's what the interent uses?
They block port 80 outgoing, so people can't run standard web servers off their upload, which is really quite a bit for the home market. Easily solved by running Apache/etc on an alternate port, which is actually the ideal thing to do, seeing as running home servers on port 80 can be a conduit for attacks.

On topic-ness...I wish FIOS would get here already. Hell, I wouldn't mind if they got close here, so Comcast would have to start being more competitive.

Not available in Kansas anytime in the near future, according to Verizon. Good. I'll never give those assholes another dime after the way I got hosed during the switch from Cellular One to Verizon. Pricks.

got 10mb down on my comcast cable now, but it would be nice to have that upload sometime for sure.

the finder thing cant find my address :(
But its reno, so who honestly thinks that are gonna have FIOS here?
If it was available, Id definently pay for it.
edit
Verizon said:
Fios is currently not available for the state of Nevada. However, this state is within Verizon's territory which means Verizon has plans on making FIOS available at a later date. Please check back frequently for updates. The current states where FiOS is available are - California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

Actually I think they block incoming port 80 not outgoing.

FIOS Internet makes my pants go crazy. FIOS TV.......meh

I saw the verizion guys at a movie theater promoting their stuff (i got a free keychain, yeah me!!). They said up here in Oregon only the big cities/towns will get it first, then they'll go out towards the middleofnowhere areas (where I live :( ) I said that's no good cause all we got is two crappy local dsl and comcast companies. They suggested I move to an area already to go with FIOS.

Man I hate you guys who live in a FioS zone. :mad: :p

I really crave higher upload speeds - 384 kbps up is horrible since it's over 10x slower than my down speed and uploading things to my site takes way too long.

Oh well, hot stuff regardless with that free install and all.

Its at 10/2...20/5 and 30/5 in most of NY and NJ now......The 30/5 is $55.00 is certain parts of NY and Long island......They are trying to get customers away from Optimum online...and they are doing very well at it :)

For Consumers, Blazing Speeds at Affordable Prices

FiOS service for consumers is available as part of a bundle of local and long-distance calling services from Verizon, or as a stand-alone Internet access service. Customers can receive a discount with a one-year commitment to FiOS, along with free installation for their primary computer.

In New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, Verizon now offers consumers three tiers of Verizon FiOS Internet Service at the same prices previously charged for the lower speeds:

* 10 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream (increased from 5/2). Suited for Internet surfing and basic computer functions. $34.95 a month with a one-year agreement or $39.95 a month stand-alone.

* 20 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream (increased from 15/2). Appealing for families that have multiple computers and various needs such as multi-media and the ability to access and send large files. $44.95 a month with a one-year agreement or $49.95 a month stand-alone.

* 30 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. Designed for communications-intensive power users with significant bandwidth needs, such as telecommuters or work-at-home households and avid online gamers. $54.95 a month with a one-year agreement or $59.95 a month stand-alone in NY ($179.95 - $199.95 in NJ and CT).

The full article is HERE

What's everyone smoking? They block Port 80 outgoing from your connection so you can't take advantage of FIOS to serve up a small site. Very simple.

I want Fios :( It's in Ft Worth, common just move it out like 15 more miles!! I'm sick of my 3/256 Charter, I've been getting some bad lag spikes lately

Edit: Wow, http://www.fioslive.com/texas-fios.html Like 10 of those citys are easily withing 20min driving range from me(with standard traffic). It's like Verizon decided to just skip over my town and do everyone else =\

Whoa! I'm in PA and getting the 5/2. I'd be extremely happy with a free upgrade to 10/2!

Though I hardly ever max this connection out, theoretical max d/l is about what, 700KB/s, even with 6 bittorrents open I don't hit that. Speed tests give my a healthy 6/1.8

Good stuff right here, get it if you can.

ONE QUESTION. Do you need to use verizon as a phone service provider to get the internet from them?

I guess they feel that in CA only the rich folk who wear polo shirts and drive white mercedes in places like Orange County want to use this.

How do you not have Sacramento, San Francisco, San Diego or anything like that but all the little rich people towns in LA and Orange county? What a joke.

OMFG

they have EVERY town boardering mine listed as Currently Available/Being Worked on... but mine is no where to be found. BLAH!

I would just bite the bullet and get the 30/5... run a handful of gaming servers for cheap and let it pay for itself

Fiber's expensive, but apparently they still can't afford to lay more after arese-f'ing all their customers continuously. :rolleyes:

aZn_plyR said:
ONE QUESTION. Do you need to use verizon as a phone service provider to get the internet from them?

Nope, I use Vonage for my phone service. You just have to remember your account number to access tech support. I'm on the 15up / 2down plan and it completely kicks major ass. I get a consistant 14.8mb down from giganews ;)

R1ckCa1n said:
Nope..... I'm on the 15up / 2down plan and it completely kicks major ass. I get a consistant 14.8mb down from giganews ;)
Gaaaah, c'mon (to the poster you quoted), Port 80 is blocked so you can't serve up webpages off that standard port at the low price you're paying. And NNTP is Port 119, iirc, might depend on your Usenet provider. 15Mbit down...very fast. I max out my comcast 6Mbit down from Newshosting easily. :(

aZn_plyR said:

No you don't have to have Verizon phone service, but if you don't I think they add $5 more per month.

Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I've got an IIS server running on port80 and I can view my website from work,college, friends houses. I did switch their crappy Dlink router for my linksys one. Check that you have port forwarding configured correctly.

Another thing, In Fort Wayne, they haven't actually burried my fiber and I got installed back in December. They keep telling me that they are trying to catch up, but my friends who got fiber just a couple weeks ago have theirs burried and mine is still lying in the yard. If you get it in Ft Wayne, beware that they may or may not bury it very quickly.

I've been following this for a while..

typing in my phone number they offer:

10/2 34.
20/5 44.
30/5 54.

Sweet stuff there. We're still waiting on TV though damnit ;-)

The big thing is that they are much much cheaper than anyone else. My comcast TV is $75 a month for basic digital. Fuck that. Verizon is going to get my business as soon as it's available here.

Cable internet cannot even touch the speeds you can get with FiOS. For the same or even cheaper price I think I'll go with FiOS.

hmm I am getting annoyed... I can't type in my street number, I don't even know where it is located.. is it the number on my street sign below the name of the street?

sigh, thier dsl is no availible in my area, but in my cousins area 5 miles away.... but I am guessing FIOS is not gonna be availible since thier dsl isn't..

boo, i only have charter internet here with 3mps/768. Cant wait til fios comes to illinois, itll rape the competition

FIOS is been around for a while almost 6 months i believe when my boss got his line.
Too bad i still cannot get it. :mad:

We've had Fios in my area (Reston, VA) for about 5-6 months now but I'm still reluctant to get it. Especially when I'm happy with what I have now (Comcast HSI). I have 15/2 with comcast, and they don't block any ports. Also all the Fios salesmen have told me they hook you up through wireless network in your house - there's no way in hell I'm going wireless.

Back