HOT ! Various 1TB NVMe with coveted E12 Controller $135 aprox retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update - prices creeping up because of global virus. Increase in prices could persist for remainder of 2020.

Expect your PC build to cost an additional 10 - 15% vs 30 days ago.

2020 is going to be more expensive for NAND and DRAM in general for a couple of reasons.
1) Oversupply of memory is depleted, so demand relative to supply is higher.
2) China memory ramp slower than anticipated. Partially due to lack of experience/expertise and coronavirus. Global memory supply estimates were expecting much higher output from China, and now established manufacturers are racing to increase capacity for output.

E12 is also a result of it's own success. As a relatively unknown it was a phenomenal value at $100 for 1TB because of the performance. At that price people are willing to overlook the general lack of management software and good RMA support that MAY come from these turn-key products that are sold to many different resellers. When the price goes up to $150, there is less reason to choose it over Samsung or Intel or other more established brands, and while the pricing of those has also gone up some, it has not gone up as much as these E12 products have, so I don't think it is only virus or DRAM supply thats inflating it, but also a increase in demand.

E12 is also a result of it's own success. As a relatively unknown it was a phenomenal value at $100 for 1TB because of the performance. At that price people are willing to overlook the general lack of management software and good RMA support that MAY come from these turn-key products that are sold to many different resellers. When the price goes up to $150, there is less reason to choose it over Samsung or Intel or other more established brands, and while the pricing of those has also gone up some, it has not gone up as much as these E12 products have, so I don't think it is only virus or DRAM supply thats inflating it, but also a increase in demand.

Hopefully many of you on this thread had the intellect to know that prices couldn't possibly go any lower that he $89 this drive got down to and purchased one.

When it's too good to be true. .. BUY. Always use that rule of thumb.

I am happy to say that I bought 3 addtional drives all at the $99 mark in addition to the one I have installed. So I have a total of 4. My ultimate go is to put them in the PCIe 4x Raid Card and get 6,000 to 8,000 read / write speeds in a future build. 4TB will be plenty solid state storage for me.

How would these compare to the adata sx8200? Speeds look impressive on paper.
I have both, bought the inland during the x570/3000x launch and then during black weekend bought the sx8200. and the inland is generally the faster drive at similar capacities. but by +- 5%.

And then spend the next month arguing with your credit card company to get a charge back because you were scammed out of a 2080Ti that was selling for $300 :D

That's only for people that don't have any common sense lol. Huge difference there lol. But, funny. Over the years I've seen you guys jump at the cheap harddrives and video cards or whatever and then discuss finally getting a refund over the next following 2 or 3 weeks. I've always seem to know better. When this drive was $89 dollars I was pretty much thinking, .... wow ... no way it's going to go any lower. I bet a lot of you gambled on thinking they would lol.

Hope the prices come back down to $119 at least by the end of the year but I personally think that's wishful thinking. The $149 price is probably here to stay for the remainder of 2020. 1 ) Conrovirus 2 ) Samsung purposely turning off the lights at their factories 3) New consoles causing pressure on market nand prices 4 ) greed

Also, I am pretty sure they are going to very VERY closely monitor market prices in 2021 as well to make sure prices are again, inflated. I see 2 things happening, we aren't going to see 4tb NMVe drives anytime soon, maybe 2021 now or 2022. 2nd, with Xbox and Sony PS5 eating up a lot of the nand for a 100 million consoles, prices will be kept higher. This is of a huge benefit to Samsung and other nand manufactures.

We might see $89 NVMe 1tb drives sometime in 2021 .... maybe.

Remeber the earthquakes in Taiwan that shut down / disrupted the mechanical hard-drive factories? That persisted for nearly 2 years. Also, what a lot of people don't realize, hard drive size increases really slowed down from being introduced into the market during this time frame as well.

While initially there are real supply issues, it's extremely profitable for them to use these occurances to keep prices inflated for a very lengthy amount of time.

I remember them discussing profits during this time, well, after the fact and they had incredible profits after it was all said and done, it was reveled the following year. Same thing with nand based solid state storage.

Last edited:
So Im reading that some of these phison e12 equipped ssd are now e12s and have half the dram cache. Any concerns in terms of performance? Im thinking the 970 evo @$170 might be better than the sabrent rocket @$150 if they are cheaping out.

So Im reading that some of these phison e12 equipped ssd are now e12s and have half the dram cache. Any concerns in terms of performance? Im thinking the 970 evo @$170 might be better than the sabrent rocket @$150 if they are cheaping out.

For $20 difference I would go for Samsung. If the difference was $50 I would go with the cheaper model. Just me.

Day to day driving it'll be hard to notice the difference.

Now that prices on the E12 drives have gone up, I'd also consider the WD Black and ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro / XPG Gammix S11 Pro along with the Samsungs. The E12 drives were a no-brainer at the ~$100 price point but when you get to the $150 range, the options open up.

For $20 difference I would go for Samsung. If the difference was $50 I would go with the cheaper model. Just me.

Day to day driving it'll be hard to notice the difference.

Now that prices on the E12 drives have gone up, I'd also consider the WD Black and ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro / XPG Gammix S11 Pro along with the Samsungs. The E12 drives were a no-brainer at the ~$100 price point but when you get to the $150 range, the options open up.

The adata is $150 along with the rocket and the Silicon power is $135. Samsung evo still at $170.....Im leaning Samsung

The adata is $150 along with the rocket and the Silicon power is $135. Samsung evo still at $170.....Im leaning Samsung

Why Samsung for more money? If you make an honest attempt to educated yourself, avoid chasing name brands and paying the higher costs, after just a handful of educated purchases, those items start to become totally free due to the savings you've worked hard to achieve.

For example, let's say you bought Intel for the branding and only choice for performance. For years, AMD didn't have anything note worthy in the CPU field. It's now cheaper and you get more performance for your money. There were very REAL cost savings with making that move and many have. These E12 based NVMe drives is another example. Before this chipset came out, the E12, there were a lot less options. In fact, last year when this E12 1tb NVMe drive came out for the $139 I paid, the only other options for performance out there was a 512GB Samsung Pro for $175. Suddenly I can save $40 or $50 dollars and double my capacity?

These two examples alone have saved hundreds of thousands of people one can only assume, millions of dollars. Probably on a person to person basic, at least $150 - $200. That right there is a FREE E12 NVMe 1tb drive. Free .... you guys do like FREE right?

I wouldn't buy the Samsung. Pocket the $30 dollars you will save. Do that a few more times and use all that money you've saved to get something totally free for your PC build.

This thread is more than just sharing links to discounted / new / great products ... it's about changing ones mindset to educate and save money. Something I don't think a lot of you do.

Good luck.

Why Samsung for more money? If you make an honest attempt to educated yourself, avoid chasing name brands and paying the higher costs, after just a handful of educated purchases, those items start to become totally free due to the savings you've worked hard to achieve.

For example, let's say you bought Intel for the branding and only choice for performance. For years, AMD didn't have anything note worthy in the CPU field. It's now cheaper and you get more performance for your money. There were very REAL cost savings with making that move and many have. These E12 based NVMe drives is another example. Before this chipset came out, the E12, there were a lot less options. In fact, last year when this E12 1tb NVMe drive came out for the $139 I paid, the only other options for performance out there was a 512GB Samsung Pro for $175. Suddenly I can save $40 or $50 dollars and double my capacity?

These two examples alone have saved hundreds of thousands of people one can only assume, millions of dollars. Probably on a person to person basic, at least $150 - $200. That right there is a FREE E12 NVMe 1tb drive. Free .... you guys do like FREE right?

I wouldn't buy the Samsung. Pocket the $30 dollars you will save. Do that a few more times and use all that money you've saved to get something totally free for your PC build.

This thread is more than just sharing links to discounted / new / great products ... it's about changing ones mindset to educate and save money. Something I don't think a lot of you do.

Good luck.
I’ve bought Samsung because of their 5 year warranty on all their SSDs, 10 years for the Pros, which have paid for themselves 10 times over. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I’ve bought Samsung because of their 5 year warranty on all their SSDs, 10 years for the Pros, which have paid for themselves 10 times over. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Agreed and I dont even know who silicon power is. Plus they are cheaping out on the "e12" drives so you dont even know what you are getting unless you check on the firmware and specs with a utility.

I've never owned one PC component over 2 years .. if that ... let alone 5. I sell my stuff while it still has value. But, some guys I guess hang on to stuff for a looooong time. Last year I built a 9900K, 32gbs of 3700 ddr4, 2080 Ti, 1000watt P2 psu, H150 water cooling, etc etc. I just sold that system for $2800 cash and build basically the same thing except for a 10980xe 18 core and 64gb's of DDR4. I think I had to come out of pocket around $300 additional dollars.

If you guys are sitting on great stuff, and it's 12 - 18 months, old, it's tax season right now. You could sell your old shit and buy new shit without losing too much money.

Hell, a lot of you right now could sell what you have as long as it has some really nice parts and buy you one of those AMD 3950x 16 core's

I've never owned one PC component over 2 years .. if that ... let alone 5. I sell my stuff while it still has value. But, some guys I guess hang on to stuff for a looooong time. Last year I built a 9900K, 32gbs of 3700 ddr4, 2080 Ti, 1000watt P2 psu, H150 water cooling, etc etc. I just sold that system for $2800 cash and build basically the same thing except for a 10980xe 18 core and 64gb's of DDR4. I think I had to come out of pocket around $300 additional dollars.

If you guys are sitting on great stuff, and it's 12 - 18 months, old, it's tax season right now. You could sell your old shit and buy new shit without losing too much money.

Hell, a lot of you right now could sell what you have as long as it has some really nice parts and buy you one of those AMD 3950x 16 core's
SSDs are easily swapped between new builds ... and storage is swappable in general. So I’m not sure what you’re going on about. They’re not components that are suddenly obsolete. They’re not graphics cards or motherboards.

Some things really stand the test of time.
When I'm done with them they are either given away or sold cheap to someone I know, always kept in service.
Occasionally put into a 2nd rig.
I'm not the slightest bit interested in selling elsewhere.

There are many older parts to my rig over 2 years, SSDs, hard drives, CPU, memory, mobo ...
The only thing that sees a regular fast turnaround is my GPU, always high end.
But NVidia screwed it up last release so I didnt take the bait.
When they stop fucking with us I will buy.

SSDs are easily swapped between new builds ... and storage is swappable in general. So I’m not sure what you’re going on about. They’re not components that are suddenly obsolete. They’re not graphics cards or motherboards.
He rolls high -- nothing wrong with it, but it's like leasing cars where you have to keep up with the game etc. Personally, while that approach has appeal especially to my enthusiast side, I just don't have the time right now to make it happen. I'm just posting because I'd like to ;)

First of all, don't take anything I have to share, personal. I'm not trying to inflame, hurt some of you here. That's totally not what I'm trying to do. I'm very aware that a majority of people over-react, have thin skin, are emotional and sensitive and their default initial reaction is to .. take offense, usually at a drop of a hat. I'm not and won't do that.

I'm strickly sharing tricks I use to upgrade for free to the newest of the new on a constant rotating basis, usually, yearly or less than 12 months. Sometimes, under 18 months.

Everything inside a PC is swappable, that's kinda the point isn't it? Don't just stop at SSD's. Look, you guys can absolutely hang on your stuff for 5 years or longer, pass your memory and ssd's around, whatever the case may be. Also, I should point out that the points I'm making here will absolutely be missed / lost on most of you as very few of you put the money into higher end components or are even aware of "trading in last years model" to stay ahead of the curve.

I was simply pointing out that, there are many different tactics, methods, strategies to saving money, upgrading, etc etc. That's what I'm "going on about"

I wouldn't put money into name brand anything if there are very capable ( performance, affordable ) alternate options on the market. This SSD is a prime example of that. We are talking 30 - 40 - 50 .. somethings $80 - $100 in savings that can be had. That amount, combined with other cost cutting efforts really does ad up. Esepcially if you're a serious die-hard old skool gaming guy like myself.

Again, don't take my posting here, these words personal. Many of you do. This is just what I do. But, it is very good advice. Save where you can, the savings ad up. it will allow you to reinvest those savings into higher-end parts, before you know it, your 2080 Ti was free, or greatly reduced. I build a new PC, high-end PC every year on average. My last several systems have been completely totally free.

I'm not going to take anymore of anyones time up here, but if any of you want my guide, it's free, PM and I will send it. It's a complete guide on what to do, how to do it to get the absolute best for the cheapest. Buying expensive parts because of a "warranty" most definitely will not be found in my guide.

First of all, don't take anything I have to share, personal. I'm not trying to inflame, hurt some of you here. That's totally not what I'm trying to do. I'm very aware that a majority of people over-react, have thin skin, are emotional and sensitive and their default initial reaction is to .. take offense, usually at a drop of a hat. I'm not and won't do that.

I'm strickly sharing tricks I use to upgrade for free to the newest of the new on a constant rotating basis, usually, yearly or less than 12 months. Sometimes, under 18 months.

Everything inside a PC is swappable, that's kinda the point isn't it? Don't just stop at SSD's. Look, you guys can absolutely hang on your stuff for 5 years or longer, pass your memory and ssd's around, whatever the case may be. Also, I should point out that the points I'm making here will absolutely be missed / lost on most of you as very few of you put the money into higher end components or are even aware of "trading in last years model" to stay ahead of the curve.

I was simply pointing out that, there are many different tactics, methods, strategies to saving money, upgrading, etc etc. That's what I'm "going on about"

I wouldn't put money into name brand anything if there are very capable ( performance, affordable ) alternate options on the market. This SSD is a prime example of that. We are talking 30 - 40 - 50 .. somethings $80 - $100 in savings that can be had. That amount, combined with other cost cutting efforts really does ad up. Esepcially if you're a serious die-hard old skool gaming guy like myself.

Again, don't take my posting here, these words personal. Many of you do. This is just what I do. But, it is very good advice. Save where you can, the savings ad up. it will allow you to reinvest those savings into higher-end parts, before you know it, your 2080 Ti was free, or greatly reduced. I build a new PC, high-end PC every year on average. My last several systems have been completely totally free.

I'm not going to take anymore of anyones time up here, but if any of you want my guide, it's free, PM and I will send it. It's a complete guide on what to do, how to do it to get the absolute best for the cheapest. Buying expensive parts because of a "warranty" most definitely will not be found in my guide.
Man I wish I had the time like I used to do that. And that’s the problem for me, the opportunity cost for me to do that is so high that it’s cheaper for me to just buy new parts each year and donate the old parts

Reactions: T4rd
like this

Being condescending and then telling people not to react to being condescending is still condescending. Maybe some introspection would be helpful.

You're not saving money if you spend it. Why do people not understand this? I don't care if you got a magic carpet ride to a $20 2080ti, you didn't save anything.

That being said, somebody want to point me out to that $20 2080ti?

You're not saving money if you spend it. Why do people not understand this? I don't care if you got a magic carpet ride to a $20 2080ti, you didn't save anything.

Get a life.
Context is important, as is the intelligence of the reader.

Get a life.
Context is important, as is the intelligence of the reader.

I've heard many times before that somebody resorting to a personal attack right off the bat is considered a good indicator for a general lack of intelligence.

Spending money is not a savings. Prove me wrong with or without your beautiful contextual references.

Being condescending and then telling people not to react to being condescending is still condescending. Maybe some introspection would be helpful.

When someone knows ahead of time that people are delicate and reactionary, do not possess a calm measured response, then I guess I do have to be "condescending" or I can also think of a few other words. Anyways, there's no intent of malice and at the end of the day, I still hold true to who I am and what role I want to play within this community. Which is something you miss. For example, this tread. I created it to educated and ultimately save people money which I'm sure I did to the tune of several thousands of dollars. I've created many many posts over the years, here and elsewhere in a campaign to save people time and money and again, to educate. I'm not a mindless consumer that is going to snap back, act and sound erratic, without intellect, purpose or cause in hopes of trying to make someone look or sound dumb, hurt there feelings, etc. Whatever the agenda might be. I'm used to it. What you just said, your tone, yeah, I've seen it a hundred times before. A lot of people will stifle progress at any possible turn they can. If telling someone they are condescending and waiting for the "likes" ... if that's the extent of your contribution to this community ... well then, what more can I say. A lot of these comments tell you all they need to.

In closing, I demand that you and anyone else here who disagrees, go please spend all your extra money for that shiny new warranty so you can sleep better at night. And continue to do that in the following months and years. One favor that I do ask and that is to keep an account of those extra few thousands of dollars you've spent and then, tell me how many of these items you had to send in on warranty.

Come to think of it, I love the word "condescending" and it's meaning ... and thank you. Thank you for pointing that out. It can be an incredible tool to get people to re-think their logic. I'm a right? Depends what your truth is. Do I save people money, absolutely. And if I hurt a few peoples feelings along the way in the way I go about it, then that's just the cost of doing business I guess.

When someone knows ahead of time that people are delicate and reactionary, do not possess a calm measured response, then I guess I do have to be "condescending" or I can also think of a few other words. Anyways, there's no intent of malice and at the end of the day, I still hold true to who I am and what role I want to play within this community. Which is something you miss. For example, this tread. I created it to educated and ultimately save people money which I'm sure I did to the tune of several thousands of dollars. I've created many many posts over the years, here and elsewhere in a campaign to save people time and money and again, to educate. I'm not a mindless consumer that is going to snap back, act and sound erratic, without intellect, purpose or cause in hopes of trying to make someone look or sound dumb, hurt there feelings, etc. Whatever the agenda might be. I'm used to it. What you just said, your tone, yeah, I've seen it a hundred times before. A lot of people will stifle progress at any possible turn they can. If telling someone they are condescending and waiting for the "likes" ... if that's the extent of your contribution to this community ... well then, what more can I say. A lot of these comments tell you all they need to.

In closing, I demand that you and anyone else here who disagrees, go please spend all your extra money for that shiny new warranty so you can sleep better at night. And continue to do that in the following months and years. One favor that I do ask and that is to keep an account of those extra few thousands of dollars you've spent and then, tell me how many of these items you had to send in on warranty.

Come to think of it, I love the word "condescending" and it's meaning ... and thank you. Thank you for pointing that out. It can be an incredible tool to get people to re-think their logic. I'm a right? Depends what your truth is. Do I save people money, absolutely. And if I hurt a few peoples feelings along the way in the way I go about it, then that's just the cost of doing business I guess.
You’re not doing yourself any favors with your perpetual condescension. It seems to me like you’re quite insecure in this feeble attempt at self-validation.

Last edited:
I simply pointed out the irony. What's the matter, still can't come up with an argument? Perhaps your next attempt at an insult will include some semblance of a counterpoint.
I defended those with the point of view you dont understand.
You started in the thread targetting them and then cant take your own medicine, your posts have wonderful irony ;)
You contributed nothing useful from the start, this isnt the thread for you.

Last edited:
I defended those with the point of view you dont understand.
You started in the thread targetting them and then cant take your own medicine.
This isnt the thread for you.

So now you're the one who determines who gets to participate in threads? That's interesting. You need to get two things straight.

1. I didn't target anyone here with what I said. It was a very general statement of fact based on the literal definition of the words I addressed.

2. You're the one who started out with an unsolicited personal attack on my intelligence. Why I feel the need to defend myself against the words of a stranger whom I'm starting to think is an idiot is my business alone. Take my medicine? I do, and I'll give you a triple dose back if I so choose.

Now read those two points again if you need to, because I really need you to understand that before you get to this next part.

What you're arguing, if you count childish insults as debate, is your opinion based on context that I wasn't even addressing to begin with. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own set of facts.

Perhaps you need to take a step back and evaluate all of this before your probable response of idiocy confirming my thoughts about you, stranger.

So now you're the one who determines who gets to participate in threads? That's interesting. You need to get two things straight.

1. I didn't target anyone here with what I said. It was a very general statement of fact based on the literal definition of the words I addressed.

2. You're the one who started out with an unsolicited personal attack on my intelligence. Why I feel the need to defend myself against the words of a stranger whom I'm starting to think is an idiot is my business alone. Take my medicine? I do, and I'll give you a triple dose back if I so choose.

I'll post here what you said

You targeted those that have no problem understanding what they have written because you dont like how it is written.
Then tried to take the piss demanding something that wasnt stated.

Now read those two points again if you need to, because I really need you to understand that before you get to this next part.

What you're arguing, if you count childish insults as debate, is your opinion based on context that I wasn't even addressing to begin with. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own set of facts.

Perhaps you need to take a step back and evaluate all of this before your probable response of idiocy confirming my thoughts about you, stranger.
If you dont want insults to be bandied around, dont be the person who starts it, especially when nothing you said contributes to the thread.

Last edited:
Mr. Sixfoot..... your little pearls of wisdom are not some big secret.

Many of us (the great unwashed to you) have been selling off computer equipment to fund the purchase of new equipment for many years.
It's not a difficult concept. It may come as a shock to you that there is a thriving for sale forum here. Holy crap, somebody else thought of
selling their computer equipment too! :eek:

Even if you had some kind of secret worthwhile information, talking down to people is not going to be well received.

But thanks so much for trying to "educated" us. :rolleyes:

You still don't understand that you are defending something that you're, by definition, completely wrong about whilst hiding behind your shield of context.

Bless you're heart.

I think I'll just make sure to put you on the ignore list at this point, as it's clear you're one of those special ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back