HOT ! Various 1TB NVMe with coveted E12 Controller $135 aprox retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick note for anyone applying a heatsink to one of these: Remember to cut the thermal pad so that it ONLY makes contact with the controller and DRAM, avoiding the NAND chips entirely.

The controller likes to run cool, but the flash actually works better at higher temperatures. Cooling NAND too much can impact the longevity of written data.

That is... very weird. No reason to have contacts out to x16 for a drive that is at most x4 electrically, right?
On the adapter they linked? The fingers beyond 4x are non-functional, and the PCB is notched to allow installation into smaller slots.

The length does, however, allow it to use the 16x slot locking mechanism, which makes for a very secure mounting system. This might be desirable in some cases (and is why the adapters that don't use a rear-bracket at all are often in 16x form factor).

The length does, however, allow it to use the 16x slot locking mechanism, which makes for a very secure mounting system. This might be desirable in some cases (and is why the adapters that don't use a rear-bracket at all are often in 16x form factor).

See I was thinking something along these lines- forgot about that 16x lock. Also, if the traces aren't connected, then you could just snap them off (carefully) if there are motherboard components in the way.

If you could source a heatsink the size of the controller and attach just that, that would be best.

Yeah I was thinking of just cooling the controller since there are no longer 2 GPUs flaking the second M.2 slot and it should get some airflow from my front rad fans, although the pump/res combo is in front of that part of the Mobo.

I am switching to all positive airflow position since my case has so many air gaps and I want to force some air down over the VRMs so I would imagine the exhaust air will flow over it.

My 2nd Sammy SSDs and a 1TB WD black see behind the Mobo panel and they run around 30-34C, so I would imagine this drive should be in that Ballpark or cooler.

I have heard to stay away from the EK sinks since they do not work with double sided drives but I'm not sure that is 100% true. I just want to o cool the controller anyway.

Agreed that the controller is the main thing that you'd want to keep cool. NAND is fine when it's warm; it's the controller that causes throttling.

This was posted earlier in the thread also - may be a solution if you don't want to purchase a full length heatsink: https://www.dfrobot.com/product-112...MIpK7C2_Ca4QIV8R-tBh1nVwZiEAQYBSABEgIUQfD_BwE

I'm sure Amazon/eBay have these also. May be a good way to go so that you don't have to worry about worrying whether the heatsink is for single sided or double sided drives, or the difference in height between the controller and the NAND. Just stick that guy on the controller and go. Even better if you can get some airflow across it.

Put it in my Gigabyte Aorus X570 pro wifi. Not reconized is it just me? Might have to reseat it but jw anybody else?

Put it in my Gigabyte Aorus X570 pro wifi. Not reconized is it just me? Might have to reseat it but jw anybody else?
On my Asus prime x370-pro, I had to unplug some of the sata devices I had (I think on ports 5&6) as they were shared. Try unplugging all sata devices and see if it's detected.

On my Asus prime x370-pro, I had to unplug some of the sata devices I had (I think on ports 5&6) as they were shared. Try unplugging all sata devices and see if it's detected.

alright it works, so can i still use the sata ports? I need at least four of them. Does yours have 6 ports? so only 5+6?

alright it works, so can i still use the sata ports? I need at least four of them. Does yours have 6 ports? so only 5+6?
You will have to read your MB manual. Some of the ports are shared.
Yeah I had the other four available to me. This is correct, although you may need do some trial & error. My motherboard's manual did NOT specify which ones.

how are these holding up so far? a good many failures reported or not? (just curious... i'm waiting to use mine for the Ryzen 3950X build...)

Mines doing fantastic, but I haven't really put it under that many strenuous circumstances.

Reactions: erek
like this
how are these holding up so far? a good many failures reported or not? (just curious... i'm waiting to use mine for the Ryzen 3950X build...)

Mine is also problem free. No crazy loads, just my gaming PC.

Reactions: erek
like this
No issues here with a 512gb as my main boot drive for my Plex server, including the media server data folder. At 76% full, it's still testing pretty well:
upload_2019-8-19_15-47-29.png

No issues to report. Using the 1TB version as a boot drive (also has a couple of games on it, and is my Photoshop scratch disk).

tested drive at >50% capacity on my Dell Inspiron 15 7577 i5 16GB

View attachment 184105

View attachment 184112

Ironically I worked on my 7577 Dell with a I7-7700hq processor all day on the 31st trying to clone data from the originally 128gig SSD m.2 to this drive(the inland 1tb nvme m.2). NEVER could get Clonezilla OR macrium reflect to SEE the NVME while it was in the portable. the Bios seemed to see it though.

Finally even tried using my desktop with 2 m.2 slots to backup the old 128gig and clone to the 1tb inland and put it back in the portable, wouldn't boot however *shrug*

gave up in the end, and used the 512gb 960 Pro that WAS the boot drive in my desktop, and cloned it to the new 1TB inland, and then closed the 128gig from the portable to the 960 pro, it worked great first try..

So long story short, how exactly did you get the 1tb inland working in your 7577?? anything special?? the ONE thing I did not try was doing a fresh load onto the NVME in the portable.

BTW otherwise these Inland drives are great, already got one for my desktop, to be my new "games" drive, and now (due to it not working in the 7577 dell) I have 2 in my desktop :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ironically I worked on my 7577 Dell with a I7-7700hq processor all day on the 31st trying to clone data from the originally 128gig SSD m.2 to this drive(the inland 1tb nvme m.2). NEVER could get Clonezilla OR macrium reflect to SEE the NVME while it was in the portable. the Bios seemed to see it though.

Finally even tried using my desktop with 2 m.2 slots to backup the old 128gig and clone to the 1tb inland and put it back in the portable, wouldn't boot however *shrug*

gave up in the end, and used the 512gb 960 Pro that WAS the boot drive in my desktop, and cloned it to the new 1TB inland, and then closed the 128gig from the portable to the 960 pro, it worked great first try..

So long story short, how exactly did you get the 1tb inland working in your 7577?? anything special?? the ONE thing I did not try was doing a fresh load onto the NVME in the portable.

BTW otherwise these Inland drives are great, already got one for my desktop, to be my new "games" drive, and now (due to it not working in the 7577 dell) I have 2 in my desktop :)

Do you got the latest BIOS on it? I do not clone drives as windows 10 install is < 30 mins from start to finish and at desktop with latest updates applied.

Just ordered one to go in my OP-LT2 system, cant wait to give the nvme currently in there a huge upgrade.

For windows disk, should i use this one? Are we have any better NVMe disk with good price? I am having a X570 mainboard and want to have good fast boot disk but the AORUS NVMe Gen4 is too expensive.

Last edited:
Damn this drive is fast. I just got back into playing WoW ... and no, hell no, not because of the newly released Classic. Anyways, WoW loads up in literally a few seconds. I remember that loading screen taking several seconds. First time I used an NVMe drive with WoW.

For windows disk, should i use this one? Are we have any better NVMe disk with good price? I am having a X570 mainboard and want to have good fast boot disk but the AORUS NVMe Gen4 is too expensive.
Yes, you can use the disk as a windows disk.
You will never be able to tell the difference between it and an aorus nvme gen4.

I am using one of these Inland 1TB drives from Microcenter as my boot drive in Win 10 Pro. Loving how it helps clean up the case with a little less cabling in my latest build (Cooler Master SL600M).

https://giphy.com/gifs/KFbYjYYhGRyQPMBWoL

<snip>

Huh, guess Ive been out of the loop, didn't know there were cases designed to use riser's/pcie extensions to keep the weight of the card balanced vertically in a tower. Neat.

Posting so I don't forget this deal.. Might pick it up next week
I just purchased it for my laptop, installed yesterday, fresh install of windows, steam, GTA5, all that good stuff. Did a final test last night, wow. After the install, I would honestly say my load time for Online GTA5 is almost cut in half. I didn't think the SSD was going to affect this as I was going from a cheapo 256GB nvme to the inland 1TB nvme.

Huh, guess Ive been out of the loop, didn't know there were cases designed to use riser's/pcie extensions to keep the weight of the card balanced vertically in a tower. Neat.
It's flexible---you can set it up that way or the regular way. Works great for using a card vertically by getting it far enough from the glass to not restrict the air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back