HOT ! Various 1TB NVMe with coveted E12 Controller $135 aprox retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got mine in today all based on this thread - thank you. Luckily I was home - the wind almost blew the envelope off my porch. This is officially part #1 of my new Ryzen 3900x build. Decided on a Cooler Master H500 for the case (will order soon). Closely looking at the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) and maybe a the new LG 27GL850 27" Nano IPS monitor. I'm pumped!

I picked up the Silicon Power from Newegg last week for $99, no too bad

upload_2019-7-5_14-51-22.png

Is the 512 or 256 as fast as the 1TB. Already have a cheap 1TB sata SSD that will be/ is my steam drive is it worth saving 50$ or just get the 1TB version lol.

Just got mine in today all based on this thread - thank you. Luckily I was home - the wind almost blew the envelope off my porch. This is officially part #1 of my new Ryzen 3900x build. Decided on a Cooler Master H500 for the case (will order soon). Closely looking at the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) and maybe a the new LG 27GL850 27" Nano IPS monitor. I'm pumped!

Unless you want it for the large flashly fans in the front that barely move air I would do a [H]ard pass on the H500...

I was pumped for it when it was announced since at the time I was brining a 230mm rad for my loop over (which limits cares to all of 3, including thre one I was coming from and the other two were old 3 years ago!) Gamers Nexus didn't think very highly of it, it was very average to poor from what I remember.

K might be wrong but check out their review before you buy it just in case. Would hate for you to end up buying a case you regret shipping it back is a PITA.

Unless you want it for the large flashly fans in the front that barely move air I would do a [H]ard pass on the H500...

I was pumped for it when it was announced since at the time I was brining a 230mm rad for my loop over (which limits cares to all of 3, including thre one I was coming from and the other two were old 3 years ago!) Gamers Nexus didn't think very highly of it, it was very average to poor from what I remember.

K might be wrong but check out their review before you buy it just in case. Would hate for you to end up buying a case you regret shipping it back is a PITA.

You might be thinking of the original one. they have redone it like 4 times since the bad review. it is now recommended by the same guy. Obviously you use the mesh front not the solid front panel if you want the air flow.

Is the 512 or 256 as fast as the 1TB. Already have a cheap 1TB sata SSD that will be/ is my steam drive is it worth saving 50$ or just get the 1TB version lol.

Nope, they're slower, although whether or not that is meaningful depends on the usage. I mean for everyday booting and browsing you won't see a subjective difference. If you're moving larger files around, doing heavier content creation or development/server tasks, then yes.

You might be thinking of the original one. they have redone it like 4 times since the bad review. it is now recommended by the same guy. Obviously you use the mesh front not the solid front panel if you want the air flow.

Oh wow that's crazy. I'm glad it's at least a viable option vs what it was at launch!

Oh wow that's crazy. I'm glad it's at least a viable option vs what it was at launch!
Thanks for the tips guys! Yes there are way too many 500 series cases out. I still have not pulled the trigger on the case as I am really wanting something with at least one 5 1/4 external bay (and preferably no glass) for my blu-ray drive. I did, however, get my Corsair 850x PSU in. Stoked to see what kind numbers I get on my new Inland Premium 1TB (and the rest of my build).

Thanks for the tips guys! Yes there are way too many 500 series cases out. I still have not pulled the trigger on the case as I am really wanting something with at least one 5 1/4 external bay (and preferably no glass) for my blu-ray drive. I did, however, get my Corsair 850x PSU in. Stoked to see what kind numbers I get on my new Inland Premium 1TB (and the rest of my build).

Yeha the glass is gimicy and a PITA. I've had the top off my TT View 71 TG since I found it lowered my VEGAs by nearly 10C just by removing the top glass panel.

Now that I am down to running a sibgle GPU instead of 3 it won't be as bad but I might still leave it off. I just hate picking it up. It weighs like 75lbs with the loop filled and all 4 glass panels attached.

Good luck with your build.

I have the Corsair Obsidian 500d Premium and it's simply fuking amazing. Best case ever.

If Lian-Li were to ever build anything like the Corsair Obsidian 500d Premium with thick 3 or 4mm aluminum and glass .... that case would win the internet hands down.

Anybody have issues with write speed plummeting?

My read speeds are fine, but write speed dropped to ~1080 sequential.

All smart data also shows nothing now.

I ordered one of these things from Microcenter yesterday afternoon. The basic shipping is just FedEx SmartPost but they sent me a tracking number within an hour of placing the order.

Prices are going up on these. its matching the news article that ssd prices are going to rise sharply soon

Yeah when I picked up a new Ryzen I made sure to swing by and get another quad of these @97 before it starts going back up.

Flash will be back down again eventually but I've experienced enough of this supply chain shit with RAM, hard drives and more to know sometimes you stock up on useful IT commodities after some fire|flood|earthquake|greed.

Hopefully once this blip is over the 4.0 variants are nearly as cheap.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
my first post on the way to 100 :>

is there any way to be 100% sure this is not QLC?
i could have sworn the guy told me it was QLC and not TLC.
i have not built my system yet (MSI X570 AMD 3800x 32GB) but I really want to start.
any ideas?

Anybody have issues with write speed plummeting?

My read speeds are fine, but write speed dropped to ~1080 sequential.

All smart data also shows nothing now.
I had read (somewhere) that slowing write speeds are due to using QLC? i hope im wrong!

Never mind. i just confirmed with MC text chat dude that they are TLC. does that mean they should be ok for OS drive?
sorry to sound like such a N00b.
Thanx in advance!

QLC drives make fine OS / applications drives if you don't go out of your way to abuse them.

However, if your main application is benchmarking- you might try to find MLC instead, or Optane. Very few SSDs respond well to abuse.

Nearly all are great at read-heavy workloads.

lol, I think it is more to do with WD/Toshiba losing a full quarter's worth of NAND in 13 mins of FUBAR.
I haven't read up on this but was super curious on how the fuck that happened? Like how does 13 mins destroy a whole quarter of production? Also if power outage can do that why the hell aren't you prepared for that? I have been to Japan 3 times and their power grid is trash for several reasons. I really dont get why they haven't planned for this and have proper backups. I am obviously ignorant on their operations but would love to see why and how this actually happened but all reports have been vague on details sadly :/
Never mind. i just confirmed with MC text chat dude that they are TLC. does that mean they should be ok for OS drive?
sorry to sound like such a N00b.
Thanx in advance!
QLC drives make fine OS / applications drives if you don't go out of your way to abuse them.

However, if your main application is benchmarking- you might try to find MLC instead, or Optane. Very few SSDs respond well to abuse.

Nearly all are great at read-heavy workloads.

simple programs that read your wear will tell you how much read/writes you do. I somehow already have like 9TB of writes on my 970 EVO Plus I bought like a month ago...wtf?

In the past I was averaging like 100-300GB of writes a day and 500GB or more of reads a day. So I am fairly picky on my OS drives for my main rig.

I somehow already have like 9TB of writes on my 970 EVO Plus I bought like a month ago...wtf?

In the past I was averaging like 100-300GB of writes a day and 500GB or more of reads a day. So I am fairly picky on my OS drives for my main rig.

If this is your use case, then yeah, you'll want something more appropriately tuned.

I haven't read up on this but was super curious on how the fuck that happened? Like how does 13 mins destroy a whole quarter of production? Also if power outage can do that why the hell aren't you prepared for that? I have been to Japan 3 times and their power grid is trash for several reasons. I really dont get why they haven't planned for this and have proper backups. I am obviously ignorant on their operations but would love to see why and how this actually happened but all reports have been vague on details sadly :/

simple programs that read your wear will tell you how much read/writes you do. I somehow already have like 9TB of writes on my 970 EVO Plus I bought like a month ago...wtf?

TLC is fine...That is what the 960 EVO uses, and this modern TLC has endurance that will outlast nearly a decade of insane nonstop read/writes. As far as you having that kinda data on a 970 a month ago, either you are hammering the drive nonstop 24/7 or something is wrong. Use Samsung Magician and see what it says. I still have a 256GB MLC based Samsung 830 that was purchased back in like 2013-early 14 and used as a boot/game drive that got insane useage, and is now a cache drive for Linux ISOs, and it has a whopping 14.8TB on it. Now, this will go up much quicker as a cache drive but I still have a 99% health rating on the drive.

As far as the WD/T screw up, it HAD to be malware at the powerplants or something...They lost so much because 4 or 5 fabs ALL LOST power at once for that 13 minute period. Those fabs are MASSIVE, and having that many go down for so long is crazy. So it was either a malware attack or they did it prop prices up...

Given how much inventory there is in the channel and semi weak demand, there is no way prices are going to go up the way they want. Samsung and everyone else is steadily turning out NAND 24/7. So my money is on malware.

If this is your use case, then yeah, you'll want something more appropriately tuned.

If you are referring to QLC, I agree. If you are referring to a modern TLC based price that is under $100 for 1TB (or a hair above with tax etc etc) then I disagree. They are fast drive and the NAND should be fine.

If you are referring to QLC, I agree. If you are referring to a modern TLC based price that is under $100 for 1TB (or a hair above with tax etc etc) then I disagree. They are fast drive and the NAND should be fine.

Mostly just alluding to AnIgnorantPerson appearing to approach the limits of TLC for their use case. For nearly everyone, modern TLC should really be overkill; QLC works very well for read-heavy applications, but will falter under write-heavy workloads. I'm currently running a 2TB 660p in an ultrabook- gets hot as hell and slows a bit under constant load, but otherwise, it flies on the desktop.

I'd actually have to get really specific to define where I wouldn't use QLC.

lol, I think it is more to do with WD/Toshiba losing a full quarter's worth of NAND in 13 mins of FUBAR.

Micron also cut their production, as announced in their last shareholder call. SSD prices are definitely otw up. People who are thinking about snapping up some drives should probably do it now, I highly doubt the deals around the holidays will be better than current prices. Of course I could be wrong. I stocked up though, so I put my money where my mouth is.

The power outage really screwed things up because nand in various stages of production was all a total loss and then there were issues getting production back up and running again. Equipment was damaged which was apparently the big issue getting the line going again. I'm guessing the reason they don't have generators that can instantly switch on during a power outage is because of the cost, but they'll probably be rethinking that decision.

As far as a program that can read the write wear, my suggestion is CrystalDiskInfo. I'm not aware of any drives that report read data, though, and there are many that do not report write data either. I'm not sure these Inland m.2 drives report writes, I know for a fact that the various sized 2.5" SSDs they sell DO NOT.

Micron also cut their production, as announced in their last shareholder call. SSD prices are definitely otw up. People who are thinking about snapping up some drives should probably do it now, I highly doubt the deals around the holidays will be better than current prices. Of course I could be wrong. I stocked up though, so I put my money where my mouth is.

I agree they may go up ~10-15% short term, but many of the 3rd party vendors (think everyone that sells a drive but doesn't make it like Corsair, Gigabyte, etc etc) are sitting on 2-3.5 months of inventory, which is all the shortage/cuts are supposed to really be an issue (1 quarter)..I hedged my bets by buying one of the INLAND 1TB drives myself, since I got it under $98 bucks.

Went to my local Missouri Microcenter last night and they had a 1 foot tall stack of 1TB's available. I purchased a 512GB @ $50 as I just need it for OS, which they also had many of.

I agree they may go up ~10-15% short term, but many of the 3rd party vendors (think everyone that sells a drive but doesn't make it like Corsair, Gigabyte, etc etc) are sitting on 2-3.5 months of inventory, which is all the shortage/cuts are supposed to really be an issue (1 quarter)..I hedged my bets by buying one of the INLAND 1TB drives myself, since I got it under $98 bucks.

As of a few weeks ago, Micron had 5 months of inventory on hand (151 days). So what you're saying is correct in the short term, at least logically. However, I've seen way too many of these cycles happen to believe logic will win out. I expect hype and spin to result in far more dramatic price increases than should be justifiable. I'm not saying SSDs will double in price in the next few months or anything that crazy, but they will go up and how much depends on many different factors.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Those 3.5tb micron ssd sata drives that were $318 have me covered for the next few years. Still a good deal at 370 if you need the space and can deal with SATA limitations.

If I would have had the extra disposable cash I would have been all over the Micron 4TB SSD drive deal when it hit $318. Sadly, I am broke so I settled for a 1TB Inland 2.5" for $85 and a 1TB Intel M.2 660p for $72 (open box deal at the egg but it arrived brand new unopened).

I purchased one today, from OP link. Price now $102. I hope that was an affiliatelink for the forum.

Lets go!

The power outage really screwed things up because nand in various stages of production was all a total loss and then there were issues getting production back up and running again. Equipment was damaged which was apparently the big issue getting the line going again. I'm guessing the reason they don't have generators that can instantly switch on during a power outage is because of the cost, but they'll probably be rethinking that decision.

As far as a program that can read the write wear, my suggestion is CrystalDiskInfo. I'm not aware of any drives that report read data, though, and there are many that do not report write data either. I'm not sure these Inland m.2 drives report writes, I know for a fact that the various sized 2.5" SSDs they sell DO NOT.
read data is part of SMART. Smart also tells you write amplification IIRC(at least on previous drives it did but not sure on current drive. I haven't bothered to look). HDSentiel is what I use and it gives tons of stats.
stats.png

smart.png
disk performance.png

Tread title updated to reflect new $102.99 pricing

Note: Price is starting to creep upwards. Still a fantastic deal at $102.99.

Best time in years to buy desktop memory and solid state storage. Not sure how long prices will hold at these historic low levels.

I would suggest everyone act now. Not later.

Tread title updated to reflect new $102.99 pricing

Note: Price is starting to creep upwards. Still a fantastic deal at $102.99.

Best time in years to buy desktop memory and solid state storage. Not sure how long prices will hold at these historic low levels.

I would suggest everyone act now. Not later.
You promised us the price would never go up.

You promised us the price would never go up.

Do you think it will go back up to $139? It shouldn't but the one thing the powers that be are good at are manipulating the market.

I stand by my promise that it shouldn't go back up under normal circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back