HOT ! Various 1TB NVMe with coveted E12 Controller $135 aprox retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the Sabrent Rocket compare with Micro Center's? I got the 2 TB model of the Rocket. But if the products are identical save for the sticker, I may request a return and save money by just getting Micro Center's 1 TB model .

These are turnkey drives that are designed completely by Phison. They should be identical.

Well, according to this review, specifically this image of CDM, the 256GB SKU has only 238GiB of user-accessible space (the AS SSD image also matches this).

That's simply the difference between Windows displaying GiB as GB while drive manufacturers quote GB as 10^9 bytes, nothing more, nothing less. Its capacity is 256,000,000,000 bytes. You can't tell if it's over-provisioned from that number alone.

Now, the few 240/480/960GB E12 drives that exist are actually over-provisioned due to the size of the NAND flash itself.

That's simply the difference between Windows displaying GiB as GB while drive manufacturers quote GB as 10^9 bytes, nothing more, nothing less. Its capacity is 256,000,000,000 bytes. You can't tell if it's over-provisioned from that number alone.

Now, the few 240/480/960GB E12 drives that exist are actually over-provisioned due to the size of the NAND flash itself.

The drive has 256GiB of raw NAND. It's using Toshiba's 64L/BiCS3 at 256Gb/die (32GiB/die). 8 * 32GiB = 256GiB. If the benchmarking programs say 238GiB that means it's the typical amount of overprovisioning which is always done as binary (256GiB) to decimal (256GB = 238GiB). This is known as 0% marketed OP with 7% true physical OP. The E12 drives sold as 240GB are listed in the programs/Windows as 223.57GiB which is 7% marketed OP but 15% true physical OP. He's comparing it to the MP510 and BPX Pro which he previously reviewed which are thusly configured. There are also E12 drives sold as 250GB with 233GiB of user space, which are 9% true OP. A drive with 0% true OP would offer 256GiB to the user. So he meant no marketed OP, which might confuse people.

This DOES impact the performance profile, but it's not particularly unusual with all the E12 drives that are now available on the market (see my spreadsheet). FWIW, AnandTech has a review on the Silicon Power P34A80 (which is also 0% marketed OP) vs. the MP510 and they state: "Clearly, the higher overprovisioning ratio of the MP510 is not necessary for the Phison E12 controller to perform well, even on the tests that completely fill the drive." This makes sense...this is still a consumer-oriented drive.

Last edited:
upload_2019-6-5_21-40-39.png

So you're telling me that my 8TB N300 has 548GB of over-provisioning... sure. Like I said, it's a Windows display difference.

If the drive was over-provisioned in the firmware, it would literally have a capacity of 960,000,000,000 bytes, not 1,000,000,000,000 bytes.

Last edited:
I have 25+ of these $97 problems at my local mc in mi. Lol

Edit: oops! Wow.. was 25+ now only 10+ a day later.

the difference is due to binary vs normal numbers they are identical capacities

960 Gigabytes = 1030792151040 Bytes so manufacturers are using the raw byte count and 1 terabyte = 1,000,000,000,000 Bytes

1024 bytes =1KB
1 Megabytes = 1048576 Bytes

etc...

I was getting sick of juggling installs on my 500gb and broke down and picked this up today. Thanks for the info, I cant believe the price on this thing is still falling.

I was getting sick of juggling installs on my 500gb and broke down and picked this up today. Thanks for the info, I cant believe the price on this thing is still falling.

I went to the 3 stores in Ohio today and bought nothing. I have 4 computers, one with 3 x 500 GB ssd's, one with 3 x 1TB ssd's , one with a 256GB ssd's and 1TB ssd's and the last with a 256GB Sata ssd's.

These drives are ones I bought over the last 4 years or so and I have plenty of HDD space as well . I just don't want to spend the money, although they are worth it.

I have spent like 10 hours trying to image my existing 120gb sandisk ssd with Windows 10 onto this new drive, it is such a nightmare. I will report back when (if?!) I find a solution for me. I am certain the old ssd being MBR hasn't helped this process.

I have spent like 10 hours trying to image my existing 120gb sandisk ssd with Windows 10 onto this new drive, it is such a nightmare. I will report back when (if?!) I find a solution for me. I am certain the old ssd being MBR hasn't helped this process.

To do backup home edition.

Plenty at the Houston Microcenter yesterday. Couldn't help but pick one up for 97.99

To do backup home edition.
Todo backup didn't work. It actually came down to the fact that the original ssd was MBR, and the new one had to be in GPT. Fought with that for a while until Macrium Reflect was able to 'fix' this by repairing the new drive back to MBR, but this had several issues such as breaking the boot info, unable to do windows updates, etc.

So I found MBR2GPT but nothing I did enabled enough things to work correctly or for the conversion to actually take effect. I finally had the bright idea to go back and run mbr2gpt on the original disk, and then image from that - this finally worked! So anyone with MBR drives should change them over to GPT first to avoid this headache.

Now I'm righting with update 1809 endlessly failing to install (but this was happening before the ssd upgrade.) My best guess is it's an incompatible driver issue, and it seems like the netlimiter 4 service is the culprit. Edit: Actually yes disabling that service actually allowed the update to go through, wow...

Last edited:
but let's get real, people run an hour of ROG and consider that stable which is completely ridiculous

not tomention all the people that say you should not run prime95 newest version because its not a real load and advocted for oleer non avx able prime95...
if you overclocked cpu cnat run shit you standard setting cpu can run... it aint a stable oc end of story

I have a Acer Nitro Spin 2:1 that 900 dollar 8550U with 1050GPU do you think I can get that to run without issue?

This seems totally worth in my laptop It isn't important data so if it breaks i wont give a shit. I'll stick with Intel and Sammy for my deskptops/servers

do you think I can get that to run without issue?

Power draw and heat seem to be a complaint, and ultrabooks tend to already be low on battery life and run hot. Might be worth a try, given the cost, but do be sure to inform yourself to any complications with respect to installation and BIOS.

Reactions: Maxx
like this
Decided to pick up the 500GB version for $50 instead. I just want a bigger boot drive than the 256GB one I am using now in my big tower.

Last edited:
I have a Acer Nitro Spin 2:1 that 900 dollar 8550U with 1050GPU do you think I can get that to run without issue?

This seems totally worth in my laptop It isn't important data so if it breaks i wont give a shit. I'll stick with Intel and Sammy for my deskptops/servers

I usually suggest single-sided drives for ultrabooks and esp. power-efficient ones, choice depends on the capacity and performance you're looking for, though. For example at 1TB good choices would be the Intel 660p (QLC) or 760p, WD Black/SN750 (seems to have poor idle performance though), 970 EVO/EVO Plus.

Would have been nice if they included the 660p in that review as a comparable, since the price range is about the same. I'm kind of puzzled why they didn't. They even mention the 660p. I know the Phison E12 is faster than the 660p but it would have been nice to see the performance difference.

Anyway, just to update I will not be able to install my Inland 1TB into my PC since I ended up buying a Ryzen 1600 for $80 with an open box Asus ROG B450-F for another $60 (after combo discount) and built a new gaming PC for my wife (she had a 2500k still). Damn microcenter and their low prices. So she got the Inland. Performance is very comparable to the SX8200 in my PC, only with twice the space of course.

I decided for my PC what I really need is a 2TB SSD storage drive to replace the two spinners rather than a larger boot drive. Although if the price continues to drop on the Inland 1TB I may still grab another for myself. I also have a 660p that I bought for $73 open box from Newegg (that turned out to be brand new and unopened) that I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap PCIE to NVME adapter and use that for storage, although it would leave me abut 500MB short of meeting my storage needs.

Got around to ordering one of these for a new game PC build.

Finally refreshing my 2012 Game PC, LOL!

well i sent off my HP 920 2+ weeks ago and I have yet to see it back...I inquired about it yesterday via e-mail and radio silence...

Stay far far far away from the HP alternative ones mentioned in this thread.

Thats a bummer to hear. I have a 1tb EX920 too.... :meh:

I hope Inland does a PCIe Gen4 version with the new Phison controller

They will. There are currently eight E16 drives announced that I know of, only a matter of time. They already have the SATA (S11), Basic (E8T), Professional (E8), and Premium (E12), all with Toshiba BiCS3, so it'll be curious to see what name they use for E16. There's also E19 (replacement for E13, step up from E8T) and of course the E12/E16 successor coming in 2020.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
But thats kind of late. Vendors like gigabyte and corsair are already on the move and will release their nvme m2 drives as soon as ryzen 3 hits the shelves.

Inland's cheaper. That's their thing. They were not the first to the market with the E8/E8T or E12 either. They're just...a cheap option you can pick up at Micro Center. I think that's the main point. I suspect a lot of people aren't even aware of the SSD market (something I've been slowly changing over the past year with my posts, guides, etc) in the first place beyond "hey look this drive has fast MB/s and is <$100." But we're still a month away so we'll see.

Was about to buy four 970 EVO Plus... seems like I should just get these instead. Sick find.

Gonna say ... we need to make this a permanent thread for historical reasons hahaha

Can we get a sticky yeah yeah yeah !

This thing has over 67 Thousand views already

Gonna say ... we need to make this a permanent thread for historical reasons hahaha

Can we get a sticky yeah yeah yeah !

This thing has over 67 Thousand views already
Haha... I mean, am I missing anything? Is there any reason at all I would spend over twice as much for a 970 EVO Plus????! These seem like an amazing find, and you can grab em on Amazon.

I've been pretty loyal to Samsung SSDs over the years, but for me personally, I don't think I could justify the price increase over these.

Thinking about buying one of the 2TB versions if they approach the price parity per GB of the 1TB version.

I've been pretty loyal to Samsung SSDs over the years, but for me personally, I don't think I could justify the price increase over these.

Thinking about buying one of the 2TB versions if they approach the price parity per GB of the 1TB version.

I have a free Samsung 970 evo plus and wondering how much slower it is compared to these drives?

Need to install the drive today as it's still unopened.. but planned on selling it and just buying another one of these drives but the wifes likes not spending money if not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back