HOT ! Various 1TB NVMe with coveted E12 Controller $135 aprox retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
how are they holding up so far? a lot of failures? i heard toward the end of this thread that someone had a failure after abusing it

From everything that I've read it's not worth it to raid these drives in RAID0 because the CPU becomes the bottleneck yet people keep doing it, what's the point? In other words what kind of real life differences are you getting between running RAID0 and non raid? Is it like 5% or 100% faster?

I actually have an old post on this that covers some of the basics but I must emphasis that it's an older post with different drives. I will be making a new one once I do my X570 build since I won't have the same bottlenecks. But in any case, it's not the CPU that's the bottleneck, it's the chipset, and further the gains in sequentials are usually not all that important unless you have other fast drives (which, again, may be limited by the chipset). The real advantage would be queue depth/IOPS but that is difficult to achieve without certain workloads (we're talking server generally). Every day or "real life/world" will be slower if anything.

how are they holding up so far? a lot of failures? i heard toward the end of this thread that someone had a failure after abusing it

This controller will get hot with sustained writes but that's true of any drive within this class. It will throttle in the 70-80C range which is well below the maximum for ARM (SSD controllers are ARM Cortex-R). The NAND generally doesn't get hot enough for concern and actually works optimally ~40C. The drives have DRAM as well, so any failure would likely be because people don't have power protection or are overclocking to the point of instability (I don't want to harp on this last point, but let's get real, people run an hour of ROG and consider that stable which is completely ridiculous). DRAM helps with write amplification and such but potentially makes the drive more susceptible to power loss states (DRAM is volatile) as consumer drives don't generally invest in capacitors.

Anyway, the NAND - Toshiba 64L TLC (BiCS3) - is actually not terribly resilient despite the fact the E12 drives have the highest warrantied endurance (TBW or total bytes written) of any consumer drive, even more than the MLC-based 970 Pro. In practice we're looking at only 2500 P/E oftentimes while Micron's 64L can hit up to 10K and Samsung's 14K (ask me for sources if desired). So with a standard WAF (write amplification factor) these drives are pushing it to the redline. Now, 99.9% of users will not get ANYWHERE NEAR the TBW on these drives even in 10, 15, 20 years. But if you're asking about reliability in terms of hammering it with writes, I would not expect it to live much past the TBW. (keeping in mind that, generally, TBW has no correlation with actual/raw endurance, it's chosen for warranty purposes)

updated results

upload_2019-6-2_16-36-32.png

Just a heads up people. For $99 dollars ... you can afford to take CHANCES if you're on the fence. At the end of the day, it does have a warranty. Samsung's are $250 for this level of performance and size.

I've been pushing the shit out of my 2 drives, I now have a total of 4TB Solidstate ... 4 drives ...2 of these E12's and 2 x Sata 1TB's .... trust me, I"ve written 100's of TB's to all of these drives combined, zero issues.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
Well fellas this one might be gone for good now

slick deals

upload_2019-6-2_17-23-17.png

Microcenter website when you search on inland 1TB SSD
upload_2019-6-2_17-24-7.png

the professional is a 2x drive and not a 4x so expect about half the raw performance.

In-store, the local store next to me had like 18 of them in stock when I went to grab mine. Well, 17 now that I took one of them. Still, a lot. Not a bad deal, it's faster than my current boot drive, so I shoved some games onto it. My benchmark gave me around 2.7-2.9gb/s on both read and write when I tested it. Not sure how to squeeze out that last tidbit that people are getting but I don't really care enough. My Samsung 960 EVO was only 256 GB, so whatever games I did put on it in order to run them faster, it was basically taking up a lot of the capacity. This gives me a lot of breathing room for a very low price.

I would expect it to come back for web order someday once they get more stock in. Slickdeals hit them hard yesterday not realizing that it had been around this price for a couple months now. It was also popular enough on Reddit that google put it in my news feed.

anyone know what is the SLC cache on this drive? 24GB like the BPX Pro 960GB?

I can pick this up for anyone, if for some reason MC coffers decide to go full nuts with their whole "in-store" only shenanigans they love to pull and dont do the webstore way.

This is a standard stock item and house brand for Microcenter, it ain't going anywhere. They will yank off the website to keep it in their stores until next shipment, because they are a B&M that makes more profit having walk ins.

Unless some "disaster", "fire" or "floods" hits a bunch of flash fabs, this is the new normal price. Until the next price drop ;)

TBH I hope they slap their sticker on some reference E16 drives and have them ready for Zen launch, but I bet it won't come until later.

It's OOS at the Fairfax and Rockville store, but the Parkville/Baltimore store still has a few in stock and ready for in-store pickup.

These are really desirable items, and if I remember, MCs get their new shipments on Tuesdays, so check tomorrow or Wednesday, since their website stock sometimes doesn't reflect the newly-stocked items for ~24 hours.

Also, RetailMeNot *has* renewed the $5 off $30 coupon - just run a Google search for RetailMeNot Micro Center. You don't even need quotation marks - it should be the first result. If you get a cool enough cashier, they might even allow you to use more than one coupon so long as you use them on different transactions.

The store in Michigan has plenty of these in stock. I picked up one yesterday. The total came to just under $101 out the door with tax thanks to the RetailMeNot coupon.

Now, I have to decide whether it is worth trying to fight with my MSI motherboard to image my current drive, boot off USB and write the image to the new drive. The other options are using a different PC with my boot drive added as a secondary storage drive and imaging it that way, or doing a clean install of windows. I'm leaning toward that last option because I only have a handful of apps installed and all I use the PC for is gaming, really. I shouldn't have to re-download any games from Steam if I copy them elsewhere and then back to the new boot drive later.

why fight? Windows 10 took all of 10 minutes to install on my rig and it is a middle of the road one.

The store in Michigan has plenty of these in stock. I picked up one yesterday. The total came to just under $101 out the door with tax thanks to the RetailMeNot coupon.

Now, I have to decide whether it is worth trying to fight with my MSI motherboard to image my current drive, boot off USB and write the image to the new drive. The other options are using a different PC with my boot drive added as a secondary storage drive and imaging it that way, or doing a clean install of windows. I'm leaning toward that last option because I only have a handful of apps installed and all I use the PC for is gaming, really. I shouldn't have to re-download any games from Steam if I copy them elsewhere and then back to the new boot drive later.

Man, they didn't when I was there a few weeks ago. They were fresh out. Unfortunately I live across the country so I can't drive on down.

$97.99 in Westmont. $105.58 out the door. Looks like the website is limiting quantity to 1 to reserve. I have had mixed luck buying multiple items in store when quantity was limited.
I could replace some OLD 1 TB 7200 drives with these if I can get my x79 board to split the lanes for one of those quad cards. Research time!

Damn, too bad it'll cost me $15 in gas to make a round trip to the store for a price match. Even if it drops another $10 it wouldn't be worth it for me.

It's back at 97.99. This is just crazy...I dunno why, but it feels wayyy cheaper than the $99 I just paid. :p
i just ordered my 2nd one after you mentioned this... is it possible to do RAID0 NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 on most motherboards? does the hit to latency make RAID0ing not even worth it? just curious

On a similar but different note, this one have over-provisioning or is it like the addlink? I assume it's like the addlink....

Well, according to this review, specifically this image of CDM, the 256GB SKU has only 238GiB of user-accessible space (the AS SSD image also matches this). This is 256GB, while the raw NAND will be 256GiB (275GB). Then I looked at screenshots from Amazon reviews for the drive showing the other models - 512GB, 1TB, 2TB; they all show normal amounts of overprovisioning in that respect.

I know the author (Chris Ramseyer) and he's well-versed in SSDs so I'm not sure what's going on here. However, it's quite common for consumer SSDs to have that normal 7% of OP (just going GiB to GB), the other two drives he reviewed (MP510 and BPX Pro) do indeed have additional overprovisioning to 960GB (actually 894GiB of user space), so maybe some confusion there? I generally refer to this difference as marketed overprovisioning (any more than the normal 7%) which may be what he means, but that's not unusual for E12 drives if you check my spreadsheet.

Anyway, OP or not, simply leaving some free space is generally sufficient with a modern consumer drive.

i just ordered my 2nd one after you mentioned this... is it possible to do RAID0 NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 on most motherboards? does the hit to latency make RAID0ing not even worth it? just curious

I have an older post on the subject but to give you the short version: most consumer boards will hit a roadblock somewhere when trying to do this, for one reason or another. It's usually not worthwhile because the main gain is in sequentials and IOPS with high queue depths, the latter of which can be helpful with certain workloads but I'd think you'd be moving up to a more serious motherboard/system by then (exception being the upcoming X570, different story, but I will be making a post on that once I get one). I personally DO run a stripe of SX8200s (as per my linked post) but only so I can shuttle around data rapidly between my other drives (one NVMe, a 3xSATA SSD RAID-0, and a 2x2 SSD/HDD tiered storage system).

How does the Sabrent Rocket compare with Micro Center's? I got the 2 TB model of the Rocket. But if the products are identical save for the sticker, I may request a return and save money by just getting Micro Center's 1 TB model .

RAID0 is useless and counterproductive unless you have a very specific use case like using something that is large and simple like map rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back