HOT ! Various 1TB NVMe with coveted E12 Controller $135 aprox retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got mine in... fortunately not broken in half. :) Mailed in a crappy padded mailer.
IMG_2975.jpg

Picked up two at my local microcenter in Houston for $104 each before tax. Thanks for the heads up!

Ok these have the phison e12 ... guess what lol

The new phison e16 is like 4400/4200 or some such rediculous speeds. I'm waiting for those to come.out next. Nvme is getting asinine retarded levels of badass performance.

I picked up the Sabrent drive but am returning it, since it does not support the 512e sector size, just 4096 only. (Cannot clone from my WD Black 256GB NVMe SSD and do not want to redo everything from scratch.) Since I may go by at least 5 different Microcenter stores on the way down to Florida next month, I might consider picking up the Inland drive, if it is still available. Does the Inland drive have an cloning issues? Thanks.

Again, a reminder for those who can hit up B&M stores - the RetailMeNot $5 off $30 coupon is still valid. Just Google RetailMeNot Micro Center and print it out.

Ok these have the phison e12 ... guess what lol

The new phison e16 is like 4400/4200 or some such rediculous speeds. I'm waiting for those to come.out next. Nvme is getting asinine retarded levels of badass performance.

Maybe, but raw R/W speed is one thing - the holy grail is an affordable Optane/Z-NAND solution that not only has extremely high R/W but also good small file performance.

I picked up the Sabrent drive but am returning it, since it does not support the 512e sector size, just 4096 only. (Cannot clone from my WD Black 256GB NVMe SSD and do not want to redo everything from scratch.) Since I may go by at least 5 different Microcenter stores on the way down to Florida next month, I might consider picking up the Inland drive, if it is still available. Does the Inland drive have an cloning issues? Thanks.

I'll save you a couple trips to Microcenter, one to buy the drive and another to return it. The Inland does not support 512e sector size. None of the drives with the phison e12 controller do.

You just need newer/better cloning software. Cloning issues between drives with different sector sizes was a couple of years ago. I think probably most all current software can deal with that just fine now. For example

"EaseUS Todo Backup Free/Home 10.0 and later version is able to clone between hard drives with different logical sector size."

They are up to version 11.5 now... https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

Of course there are plenty of other free options too.

I'll save you a couple trips to Microcenter, one to buy the drive and another to return it. The Inland does not support 512e sector size. None of the drives with the phison e12 controller do.

And let me guess, most of the new drives will be using the phison e12 controller moving forward, right?

You just need newer/better cloning software. Cloning issues between drives with different sector sizes was a couple of years ago. I think probably most all current software can deal with that just fine now. For example

"EaseUS Todo Backup Free/Home 10.0 and later version is able to clone between hard drives with different logical sector size."

They are up to version 11.5 now... https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

Of course there are plenty of other free options too.

Does Todo Backup allow you to create a bootable usb drive for cloning?

And let me guess, most of the new drives will be using the phison e12 controller moving forward, right?

Does Todo Backup allow you to create a bootable usb drive for cloning?

Yes I do believe it does. It will be the create emergency bootable media option or something along those line. Can then boot that and run it from there.

Ordered 1, but are these confirmed as 3D TLC or QLC ultimately?

Yes I do believe it does. It will be the create emergency bootable media option or something along those line. Can then boot that and run it from there.

Well, for $17.50, including tax, the Home Version of Todo backup should be a good value, long term. (It saved me from many, many hours of redoing any of my computers from scratch.) In fact, I think that is probably why I had an issue initially with booting the Intel drive I have that I cloned over a month ago. (Acronis stinks, nowadays.)

Edit: It worked and although it is faster than the 256GB drive, I just mostly wanted / needed more space, long term. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, for $17.50, including tax, the Home Version of Todo backup should be a good value, long term. (It was save many, many hours of redoing any of my computers from scratch.) In fact, I think that is probably why I had an issue initially with booting the Intel drive I have that I cloned over a month ago. (Acronis stinks, nowadays.)

Edit: It worked and although it is faster than the 256GB drive, I just mostly wanted / needed more space, long term. Thanks.

this is a TLC drive, right?

Seems like it is in fact TLC according to this:

Was probably covered earlier in this thread as well.

Reactions: erek
like this
how many did you order?

I ended up picking up just one of the Sabrent drives mentioned in this thread from Amazon. Honestly, I do not notice any difference between this and my WD Black NVMe drive but, it does have a lot more space. :)

like this
How would this compare against a Samsung PM981 (I think the retail variant is 970 EVO Plus)

I picked up a 1TB PM981 from eBay for 100 + 7 in shipping.

While it was a steal, I'm curious about this one too for future builds.

(I also picked up 4x256GB PM981 from the same seller for another 100. All my systems gonna get that NVMe goodness)

Realistically under real world normal usage the speed difference between just about any NVMe drive is not going to be noticeable at all. Moving a lot of large files around or running benchmarks is about the only time you might see any difference and even then the overall time savings is going to be so small that you would not even notice. I think like ManofGod said, many getting in on this are doing so more for a larger size drive upgrading from an earlier smaller size drive since the prices are so low now. Heck under normal usage NVMe's stunning speed is hardly even noticeable over a decent SATA SSD except maybe at boot and when moving a lot of files around.

Good to hear that the Todo backup software worked for you too!

Thanks OP! I picked one up for $110.98 shipped.

It came with firmware 12.2. This thing is freaky fast, hopefully it will be durable.

Inland SSD.JPG

Thanks OP! I picked one up for $110.98 shipped.

It came with firmware 12.2. This thing is freaky fast, hopefully it will be durable.

View attachment 163626

This component is the first part of my new build, i'm currently on a Samsung 950 Pro. Hoping an at least 16-core next-generatoin AMD Ryzen Rig

| [CPU][Intel - Xeon E5-2699 V3 2.3 GHz 18-Core OEM/Tray Processor] | [CPU Cooler][Noctua - NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler] | [Motherboard][Asus - X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard] | [Memory][Crucial - Ballistix Sport 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory] | [Memory][Crucial - Ballistix Sport 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory] | [Storage][Samsung - 950 PRO 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive] | [Storage][Western Digital - Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] | [Video Card][NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition Video Card] | [Power Supply][Corsair - Professional Gold 1200 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply] | [Operating System][Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit] | [Monitor][LG - 27UD68-P 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor]

like this
I'd agree and really I think with NVMe most are more about capacity and quality versus speed now. Unless of course running benchmarks is what you generally use your PC for or you spend the majority of your time using your PC copying huge files back and forth between a couple of drives.

I picked one of these up, and I need to image my existing install for my server over from an old 120gb sandisk sata ssd. I have confirmed the existing Bytes per sector and Bytes per physical sector to be 512, so it's currently 512 native (per the fsutil output, as discussed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-policy-for-4k-sector-hard-drives-in-windows.) I know this inland's controller/drive has issues with that, and can be 4k only.

What's a program that will absolutely work to transfer this over correctly? I would prefer one that does it's process via a bootable usb, as I've had a bad experience with Macrium Reflect doing the cloning with an operating windows install (My pc from a Samsung 850 evo sata to 970 evo nvme, still borked to this day.) This would be for my server, so troubleshooting little issues later on is unacceptable, and doing a fresh install of windows is also unacceptable. I have plenty of available space if I need to make an image file instead.

I picked one of these up, and I need to image my existing install for my server over from an old 120gb sandisk sata ssd. I have confirmed the existing Bytes per sector and Bytes per physical sector to be 512, so it's currently 512 native (per the fsutil output, as discussed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-policy-for-4k-sector-hard-drives-in-windows.) I know this inland's controller/drive has issues with that, and can be 4k only.

What's a program that will absolutely work to transfer this over correctly? I would prefer one that does it's process via a bootable usb, as I've had a bad experience with Macrium Reflect doing the cloning with an operating windows install (My pc from a Samsung 850 evo sata to 970 evo nvme, still borked to this day.) This would be for my server, so troubleshooting little issues later on is unacceptable, and doing a fresh install of windows is also unacceptable. I have plenty of available space if I need to make an image file instead.
If you want a copy of acronis, my SSD came with a key that I don't think I ever redeemed. Pm me if interested.

stay far far far away from the HP drive. their support page does not even list the drive as one of their products. had several HP people hang up on me when trying to get warranty replacement

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I was reading correctly ManofGod used EaseUS Todo Backup to clone his 512B drive to the 4K Sabrent a few posts up. It uses bootable USB recovery media, but I'm not sure if it can do the actual backup/clone from that media or not. I've used it several times on live installs with no ill effects, though. Works great.

stay far far far away from the HP drive. their support page does not even list the drive as one of their products. had several HP people hang up on me when trying to get warranty replacement

Which ones?

I know many of their newer ones while branded as just HP are actually a partnership deal with MCS. That is also where you get firmware and whatnot for them. https://www.multipointe.com/
I'm not sure if any of them use the same Phison controller as these though. I know the EX920 uses a Silicon Motion controller and I think the EX950 is also Silicon Motion based.

Warranty on them? No idea on that....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I was reading correctly ManofGod used EaseUS Todo Backup to clone his 512B drive to the 4K Sabrent a few posts up. It uses bootable USB recovery media, but I'm not sure if it can do the actual backup/clone from that media or not. I've used it several times on live installs with no ill effects, though. Works great.
I decided to give it a try, and at least install the program. Off to a great start!
upload_2019-5-28_16-28-43.png

Only been up for 58 days, really should get another 30 before a reboot.

Well, for $17.50, including tax, the Home Version of Todo backup should be a good value, long term. (It saved me from many, many hours of redoing any of my computers from scratch.) In fact, I think that is probably why I had an issue initially with booting the Intel drive I have that I cloned over a month ago. (Acronis stinks, nowadays.)

Ah crap. I went ahead and returned the drive because I did not really want to spend the money. (Contract job to contract job and I just have to be careful.) I mention this because I went ahead and cloned it back using the Todo Backup to my 256GB SSD and everything appeared to work. However, just a hour ago, my OS crapped out on me and I am now doing everything from scratch on that computer.

I think it occurred because of a back and forth clone over the last week and the OS finally bit the dust. Could also be because maybe Todo does not fully support the WD drive or something happened somewhere along the way. Just sharing this in this thread so that others will not make the same mistakes I did. Oh well, fast install anyways.

Edit: This install went through a couple of motherboard swaps so there is that. :) Oh well, this is why I have 3 computers.

like this
Broke one of my inlands already tonight.

Rather, I was exporting a lot of images from lightroom and I think I overheated it, the system hung, and now windows won't boot because it's missing a file.

I'm guessing it doesn't have good data-in-flight protection like the samsungs do, or doesn't have any.

I'm going to have to load it up in my external m.2 enclosure and run diskcheck against it, else I have to re-clone my 950 Pro to it and torture test it again.

I put my 2nd one in my laptop, so I guess I'll beat on that tomorrow at work and see what happens under load.

like this
Broke one of my inlands already tonight.

Rather, I was exporting a lot of images from lightroom and I think I overheated it, the system hung, and now windows won't boot because it's missing a file.

I'm guessing it doesn't have good data-in-flight protection like the samsungs do, or doesn't have any.

I'm going to have to load it up in my external m.2 enclosure and run diskcheck against it, else I have to re-clone my 950 Pro to it and torture test it again.

I put my 2nd one in my laptop, so I guess I'll beat on that tomorrow at work and see what happens under load.

:'(

Which ones?

I know many of their newer ones while branded as just HP are actually a partnership deal with MCS. That is also where you get firmware and whatnot for them. https://www.multipointe.com/
I'm not sure if any of them use the same Phison controller as these though. I know the EX920 uses a Silicon Motion controller and I think the EX950 is also Silicon Motion based.

Warranty on them? No idea on that....

thanks for that, i was able to get warranty support from the above... no hassles. HP should have a link to them on their website to make the process easier

Hummm what shouls i do with this? 4x nvme slots

View attachment 163899

Nice! Out of curiosity I checked and looks like the Dell quad cards have gone up a lot on eBay! Had no idea these cards are getting close to $200 each. Love mine. :D Came with my 7910 but I remember looking when it first came out and the bare cards were selling for like $100 back then.

This is what you should do with it... load it up with 4 drives. :D
IMG_2977.jpg

Also, as indicated in the pic above, I installed both in mine. Just ran a quickie 1 pass benchmark comparing three different drives. 512GB Samsung SM951 that came in the system, 1tb HP EX920, new 1TB Inland.

NVMe.jpg

The new phison e16 based Corsair just announced using pcie4 is like 4900/4700 or something like that. Hoping microcenter gets a house brand of one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back