HOT ! Various 1TB NVMe with coveted E12 Controller $135 aprox retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahh.. didn't see that. if that's the case then, id wait a little more till amazon carries them.

Just pointing out that this is not the Premium version, but the slightly slower Pro version. So not nearly as HOT, but still a pretty good deal.

Title updated.

This is an insanely HOT deal!

When it gets to $99 .... and it will ... I'm gonna raid-0 x2 of them together

Reactions: Hulk
like this
If this hits $100 I'll buy one. Don't need one really, but that's too good a deal to pass up.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
Title updated.

This is an insanely HOT deal!

When it gets to $99 .... and it will ... I'm gonna raid-0 x2 of them together
Smokin' hot deal.

The prices are in such free all, I'm kinda content just letting it ride a bit longer.

In before Black Friday.

Wouldn't most people rather have the ex920 for a negligble price difference? Better known controller/brand, longer warranty and slightly better performance.

Nothing wrong with this drive but their shipping is expensive and tax is a killer. Stupid KS sales tax anyway....

Reactions: Fleat
like this
Wouldn't most people rather have the ex920 for a negligble price difference? Better known controller/brand, longer warranty and slightly better performance.

Nothing wrong with this drive but their shipping is expensive and tax is a killer. Stupid KS sales tax anyway....
QLC.

Any more benchmark updates?
Sorry it took so long to those who asked:
View attachment 155462

Threadripper 2950X + MEG Creation X399 RAID0 x 4
RAID0 x 2 this time:
raid0-nvme-x2.png

Smokin' hot deal.

The prices are in such free all, I'm kinda content just letting it ride a bit longer.

In before Black Friday.

Also on the waiting stage, it seems the rumors of the NVME prices collapsing this year were true, and we're not even half way through it.

Just a heads up to anyone that picked up the Sabrent Rocket versions of these drives. I submitted a ticket directly to them asking about firmware updates, and they informed me that all currently shipping drives have 12.1 installed, and future updates will be posted to their site.

Good question. These new Phison E12 controllers just came to my attention around a week ago and since then I've been doing my research. I was wondering the same thing. They do come from the same factory as the pictures look identical on 2 of the other SSD's besides this Inland 1TB NVMe Premium.

There are a handful of these Phison E12 controller based SSD's on the market now, all of them are however out of stock to my knowledge. And even if they were in stock, they are too expensive IMHO. Only the Inland 1TB NVMe Premium seems to be priced amazingly well ... $144 honestly seems like a possible place holder price. I just don't know. Inland is also considered a value oriented budget brand so the price could remain unchanged and could even possibly adjust down if the product follows the current trend.

Here are some links to other Phison E12 based SSD's.

I should also note, that Phison is currently working on new firmwares to fine tune these drives even further. I've read that they have released 4 firmwares in quick succession going back the last few months with: v9, 10, 11 and now 12.1

One last interesting bit of news, since these are OEM drives, I've read that firmware update tools work from one manufacturer to the other. I'll try and provide some links maybe tonight or tomorrow in an edit.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-FORCE-MP510-960GB-Storage/dp/B07HR78FQ5
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12925/patriot-readies-viper-ssds-with-phison-e12-and-s12
https://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-80mm-2280-S3-M-Express-960GB/dp/B07GZ1LP9T
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ink2&cjevent=83fd45763d6c11e9801201220a24060c
I used the 480GB MyDigitalSSD in my son's Ryzen build, and it doesn't disappoint. Phison did a great job with the E12.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These things are a no-brainer at $120 and dropping. $100 at BF if not sooner.

Fuck QLC, Fuck SATA, fuck the manufacturer ASP protective slow rolldown.

For everyone else, especially Samsung and those that want to be like them: time to compete.

For everyone else, especially Samsung and those that want to be like them: time to compete.
QLC would have to come in mucho bucho cheapo - but there's a price for adoption. 4tb QLC for $100? Sure. I'll run them 3 wide for that price.

If you mean m.2 SATA, I agree. Otherwise, SATA still has lots of use cases left.

Samsung is banking on its premium market placement. Heck of a bet, to be sure. That being said, how many respectable system builders do you see using anything else? Maybe SanDisk. Maybe whatever the Western Digital product is.

I'd use Inland or Sabrent for personal use (at the right price/value) but if I were spec'ing for someone else it'd probably be an Evo or Pro (depending on the use).

I have the HP EX920. Have had it for a around 3+ months now when I paid $159 for it. It's absolutely NOT as fast as the Inland. I know, I have both. I have a pretty bitchin system ATM. The write speed on the HP EX920 is around 1750 - 1800MB/s ... a 1/3rd slower than the Inland. And most of the other numbers are better as well, in fact, the HP is just slower, not a lot but slower and it's more expensive. $15 is $15. You start caring about your money and saving where you can, the $1 bills, the $5 here, $10 there, $15 ... it all adds up.

Last edited:

Exactly this. I see a few people talking about this is better, that is better .... NO .... it's not and .. NO ... there isn't. This thing destroys and it's cheaper. There is literally nothing else out there better, period, end of story. I've been on these HardOCP Hotdeal forums for years... This is honestly one of the hottest if not THE hottest deal ever in my mind.

Last year, this time, 1tb NVMe ... $300+ all day everyday. 12 months later ... this thing is faster and way way cheaper. All of you should be buying this if you don't have anything comparable.

I have the HP EX920. Have had it for a around 3+ months now when I paid $159 for it. It's absolutely NOT as fast as the Inland. I know, I have both. I have a pretty bitchin system ATM. The write speed on the HP EX920 is around 1750 - 1800MB/s ... a 3rd slower than the Inland. And most of the other numbers are better as well, in fact, the HP is just slower, not a lot but slower and it's more expensive. $15 is $15. You start caring about your money and saving where you can, the $1 bills, the $5 here, $10 there, $15 ... it all adds up.

HP EX920 is a lot faster in 4k QD1 read, which IMO, is the most important measurement for most usage.

picked up a MyDigitalSSD 1tb (well you know the one).

Installed last night and no issues so far.
Replaced a 500GB 960 Evo

I have the HP EX920. Have had it for a around 3+ months now when I paid $159 for it. It's absolutely NOT as fast as the Inland. I know, I have both. I have a pretty bitchin system ATM. The write speed on the HP EX920 is around 1750 - 1800MB/s ... a 3rd slower than the Inland. And most of the other numbers are better as well, in fact, the HP is just slower, not a lot but slower and it's more expensive. $15 is $15. You start caring about your money and saving where you can, the $1 bills, the $5 here, $10 there, $15 ... it all adds up.

Exactly this. I see a few people talking about this is better, that is better .... NO .... it's not and .. NO ... there isn't. This thing destroys and it's cheaper. There is literally nothing else out there better, period, end of story. I've been on these HardOCP Hotdeal forums for years... This is honestly one of the hottest if not THE hottest deal ever in my mind.

sorry man, I disagree. you are talking the raw throughput numbers, and in that regard you are correct. however when it comes to mixed I/O and low qd reads - it gets beat by a couple different controllers at competitive price points. the ex920 is faster in most metrics. I know you are a big fan of user reviews - check out user benches of the corsair force drive with the same controller and nand vs the ex920; https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compa...vs-HP-EX920-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB/m609454vsm488611

if you can have either drive at the same price, you are better off with the ex920. same can be said for the current deal on the sx8200 pro - better drive for right about the same money.

your comments on small bills is interesting as well since in previous threads you have made comments about how "disposable" these cheap ssd's are and playing the small dollars off as such a nbd. think that was the 660p deal thread.... heck at the KS Microcenter you are getting the drive at just over $130 after sales tax. you can get two drives right now for less than another $10 that perform better at what most users will feel - low qd.

like I said, this is a fine drive but whether you look at user reviews or tweaktown's review of the controller - it is certainly not the "earth scorcher" some here think is. I get it, finding that low-key drive that no one knows about for a bargain price is fun as hell.

ultimately these deals all rock for all of us - getting super fast and inexpensive storage.

sorry man, I disagree. you are talking the raw throughput numbers, and in that regard you are correct. however when it comes to mixed I/O and low qd reads - it gets beat by a couple different controllers at competitive price points. the ex920 is faster in most metrics. I know you are a big fan of user reviews - check out user benches of the corsair force drive with the same controller and nand vs the ex920; https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compa...vs-HP-EX920-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB/m609454vsm488611

if you can have either drive at the same price, you are better off with the ex920. same can be said for the current deal on the sx8200 pro - better drive for right about the same money.

your comments on small bills is interesting as well since in previous threads you have made comments about how "disposable" these cheap ssd's are and playing the small dollars off as such a nbd. think that was the 660p deal thread.... heck at the KS Microcenter you are getting the drive at just over $130 after sales tax. you can get two drives right now for less than another $10 that perform better at what most users will feel - low qd.

like I said, this is a fine drive but whether you look at user reviews or tweaktown's review of the controller - it is certainly not the "earth scorcher" some here think is. I get it, finding that low-key drive that no one knows about for a bargain price is fun as hell.

ultimately these deals all rock for all of us - getting super fast and inexpensive storage.

Oh boy...

Popcorn1.gif

The numbers are so small that it's nearly unperceivable from one drive to the next. That ... we can all agree.

The shaved seconds are nice but I think I'll take my $15 and put it away.

What do you mean oh boy? You're really anticipating drama or something? ........ jesus dude, get outside, better yet, go watch that Michael Jackson video, it's pretty good. Something, anything.

Did you even read the reply? There was nothing to it ......

If you want drama, you're in the wrong place homie.

I didn't see anything about Toshiba in that Anandtech article, so one can assume the NAND fix being in won't apply to the Inland Premium for a while.

What do you mean oh boy? You're really anticipating drama or something? ........ jesus dude, get outside, better yet, go watch that Michael Jackson video, it's pretty good. Something, anything.

Did you even read the reply? There was nothing to it ......

If you want drama, you're in the wrong place homie.

Nah, man. Just more of an observation that wadec pointed out what many of us were thinking but few wanted to say because you sometimes have a peculiar way of being dismissive and condescending when people disagree with you, kind of like how you were in your reply to me just now when all I said was "Oh boy..."

But since you took the time to reply and be cheeky as usual to someone who doesn't echo your sentiments, I'll expand on my previous post in hopes of clarifying. I'm not in the market for any new drives and thus haven't compared the specs on these but if what wadec was saying is accurate then I agree that sequential performance matters little for many/most people outside of certain usage scenarios and is about the last thing I look at when it comes to an OS/applications drive. Strong sequential has its place, sure, but is hardly the only spec that most people should be looking at and if we're declaring these drives king based on that alone while they're behind in the other benchmarks then that's a little foolish. Is the drive fast? Yep. Is it a good deal? Sure. But acting like nothing else comes close and that the deal is so molten lava hot that if you buy anything else you're totally OMG missing out on the best thing ever is a bit melodramatic.

And I too thought that the bit about saving $1 here and $5 there was odd given previous comments in this thread and others, but whatever. I wasn't looking for an argument but since you both quoted and attempted to belittle me, I felt compelled to reply.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/hp-ex920-1-tb-m-2-ssd-review,16.html
The ex920 does look like a good drive, it's crystaldisk marks look very similar to the inland's

The numbers are so small that it's nearly unperceivable from one drive to the next. That ... we can all agree.

The shaved seconds are nice but I think I'll take my $15 and put it away.

Hard to argue with that. Personally the sx8200 pro with 5 year warranty would be my choice but to anyone shopping tough to go wrong.

In any case, three very similarly priced drives ($8 difference with tax and shipping for me), either makes three earth scorching deals or a new normal, buyers will decide I suppose.

I'm considering the SX8200 Pro 1tb because it is pretty quick, near the top for 4K and supports 512e.
Price is also decent in the UK.
What reasons are there to avoid it?

I'd still pay more for the samsung.

Unless maybe I was using these in a ZFS mirror or raid.

I trust Samsung and Intel drives as bulletproof. These drives I know nothing about long term reliability.

Every single non-Samsung, non-Intel SSD I've ever owned has died within 2 years of use.

Impressive throughput but the 4k que depth 1 reads are awful. my sata 850 evo scores higher. :(

That is a little disconcerting, especially since low queue depth random reads are where most desktop loads reside, and what results in a system feeling snappy...

I'm down with QLC- right tool for the right workload and all, when prices get right. No problem passing them over to ZFS either.

Might replace spinning rust in a few years at the consumer level; it's already well beyond that in terms of density for enterprise, but oh that cost.

I'm down with QLC- right tool for the right workload and all, when prices get right. No problem passing them over to ZFS either.

Might replace spinning rust in a few years at the consumer level; it's already well beyond that in terms of density for enterprise, but oh that cost.

I'd buy a few of these and use them with ZFS as my main boot pool on my desktop if ZFS were ever ported to Windows...

It would be SO nice to be able to have my Windows / Linux dual boot system boot off of a ZFS based mirrored or multi-disk raid pool. Only way I'm going to be able to do that right now is to do some sort of passthrough VM setup for Windows.

That would be nice- of course, I was hoping that Microsoft would evolve ReFS into something useful, but it's seriously behind development. At best, you'd be booting Windows off of a remote iSCSI share or some such, which while possible isn't really that useful.

ZFS on Windows is certainly something to contemplate though. The parts are all there, and while ZFS isn't being integrated into the kernel on the Linux side, Microsoft even has an 'in' to provide value through performance (potentially).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back