HOT ! Various 1TB NVMe with coveted E12 Controller $135 aprox retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for putting this list together. Much appreciated.

No problem, figured it'd be a service to point up the Phison E12s. They're all literally the same exact SSDs with different stickers and possibly slightly altered components and flares like fancy schmancy heat spreaders (Patriot, HIKVision) or whizzbangs (Aorus LEDs)

Just to correct a mistake (Transcend turned out to be Silicon Motion) here's a revised and up updated version:

Inland Premium
MyDigital BPX Pro
Sabrent Rocket
Silicon Power 34A80
Corsair Force Series MP510
addlink S70
Seagate Firecuda 510 (not shipping yet)
Gigabye Aorus
Patriot Viper VPN100
HIKVision C2000
Galax Hall of Fame
DigiFast Ace
KingMax Zeus P3480
CFD PG2VN

There will also be a ton of these or no-name variants thereof showing up on AliExpress soon..

Last edited:
Hey Cybernook - I have the Asus version of that card - two of the 1 TB psion controllers and two HP 900xs - I have a TR4 asrock mono and I set them up in raid 0 and raid 0 - so 2tb and 1tb respectivly - odd thing is my 2tb raid 0 arrray performs spotty. Sometimes i get 2500 ish reads 6000 writes other times I get 4500 ish reads., On the flip side my two hps which are shitty solo - scream in raid 0 - they pull 3500/3500 read writes raided. Solo they were like 900/1200

Well...TL;DR.. I'm pretty happy but it took some time to get there. It was a super fun experiment!

I have an X79 board which doesn't natively support NVMe. I had to edit the BIOS file to inject NVMe support and put it back together. There are some guides online on how to do that. Purchased a Qnine PCIe x4 add in card with an NVMe slot and put it in. Drive detected. Great! Next thing was I absolutely did not want to reinstall windows fresh so cloning was my only option. Macrium Reflect to the rescue and it should be easy, right? Not quite. Well I was cloning a RAID0 array that was originally in an X58 system which didn't support UEFI...basically it seems like SATA can boot MBR/BIOS mode but NVMe cannot. At least that's what I gather after all this. TBH I haven't spent the time confirming it, though (lazy). After some reading I realized I'd have to create a UEFI boot partition using DISKPART along with some bootrec commands using a Windows 10 installer USB. After that, voila! Boots right up and everything is intact!

Attachments

• nvme.PNG
    nvme.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Any deals like this going for similar drives now? Need to order one this week for a new build. This one looks a bit better than the one in OP if just for the heat spreader on it, although I'm not sure if that's needed or compatible with this Asus board I think I'm going to pair it with that has a heat sink on it for M2 SSDs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Any deals like this going for similar drives now? Need to order one this week for a new build. This one looks a bit better than the one in OP if just for the heat spreader on it, although I'm not sure if that's needed or compatible with this Asus board I think I'm going to pair it with that has a heat sink on it for M2 SSDs.

Not to my knowledge, I think the Inland is the best deal right now. The Asus M.2 heatsink will work just fine with the Inland.

Unless you believe black plastic stickers are heat spreaders (it has the black logo sticker on top and a white VOID IF REMOVED sticker on the bottom) which I guess they can be..

Amazon has the 1 TB Sabrent Rocket down to $150 and the 512 GB is $80; Silicon Power 34A80 1 TB is $145.

Just noticed that the 512 GB Inland Premium, otherwise known as the 512 GB version of the OP SSD is now shipping from Amazon for $75. That is a GREAT deal if you don't need 1 TB or a huge boot drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Inland-Premium-512GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B07PB5C36M/

Also, MicroCenter is probably hedging its bets, selling on Amazon. Odd they're not offering the 1 TB Premium in the OP on Amazon, will keep my eyes out for it though.

Last edited:
Unless you believe black plastic stickers are heat spreaders (it has the black logo sticker on top and a white VOID IF REMOVED sticker on the bottom) which I guess they can be..

Amazon has the 1 TB Sabrent Rocket down to $150 and the 512 GB is $80; Silicon Power 34A80 1 TB is $145.

Just noticed that the 512 GB Inland Premium, otherwise known as the 512 GB version of the OP SSD is now shipping from Amazon for $75. That is a GREAT deal if you don't need 1 TB or a huge boot drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Inland-Premium-512GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B07PB5C36M/

Also, MicroCenter is probably hedging its bets, selling on Amazon. Odd they're not offering the 1 TB Premium in the OP on Amazon, will keep my eyes out for it though.

Obviously I thought that was a metal panel/heatsink on the Sabrent just from glancing at it, but smart-ass replies are always appreciated. Nonetheless, thanks for pointing that out that it's a sticker. I guess I'll just order the one in OP then. I highly doubt I would noticed any performance issues on it anyways even if it was somehow overheating because I don't plan on doing large transfer jobs to/from it constantly.

Obviously I thought that was a metal panel/heatsink on the Sabrent just from glancing at it, but smart-ass replies are always appreciated. Nonetheless, thanks for pointing that out that it's a sticker. I guess I'll just order the one in OP then. I highly doubt I would noticed any performance issues on it anyways even if it was somehow overheating because I don't plan on doing large transfer jobs to/from it constantly.

Sorry if it came across as snide, but I didn't want people to think they were buying a free heat spreader when they were buying the Sabrent; when I got mine I was expecting one and I thought the label seemed too thin to have any wires in it. I took mine off very carefully to inspect it, gonna leave it off and if it ever needs to be sent in I'll just take it off the slice of wax paper I put it on and reapply.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Good god, Microcenter has zero presence in California now? I mean they bailed on Silicon Valley some time back but literally no stores? Fry's that strong of a presence here?

Can someone with the Inland verify if this is native 4k or or 4K with 512e support?

If you are on windows you can run this command (replace c with whatever your drive name is):
Fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

If Linux is your flavor (change nvme0n1 to your drive signature):
cat /sys/block/nvme0n1/queue/{hw_sector,logical_block}_size

You mentioned that the sabrent didn't have 512e. Does that go for all e12 drives? Or is the inland fine and has the feature?

You mentioned that the sabrent didn't have 512e. Does that go for all e12 drives? Or is the inland fine and has the feature?

That is what I am trying to determine - hopefully someone with the Inland can run my command and fill us in. Not having 512e support is a pain in the ass. I have the Sabrent Rocket 2TB and it has caused numerous problems for me.

problems besides cloning? or is cloning the only issue?

- Cloning definitely did not work for me. I have read claims that there is software that can handle it, but I didn't find any that were free to use. Windows image backup and restore also errored even though I read reports of people saying it worked
- Proxmox did not like this drive and refused to provision it
- Certain installers are not 4k native aware like Pop OS / Ubuntu / Manjaro which will misrepresent drive size and cause problems creating the EFI partition (Gparted works)
- Weird application issues: Assassin's Creed Origins & Odyssey will not run on a 4k native drive without 512e (verified on multiple computers). The game will work perfectly fine on an internal or external SSD that has 512e on the same computers. This one is a real mystery - maybe Denuvo?

That is what I have encountered so far. I anticipated some grief with the cloning but the rest was a surprise.

Man I can't decide between going with a couple of these or spending more to get one without a SLC cache.

I'm not touching them until there are simple ways to backup this to/from 512e drives.
I'm not buying 2 drives so I can test a backup works or to have a functional backup drive. I use hard drives for testing/verifying.
Not with these though.
Who's the muppet that decided not to include 512 emulation?!

I am sending my Sabrent 2TB back and I ordered an HP EX950 2TB instead. In my experience, the software just isn't ready for this in my use cases.

It was more expensive by a decent margin. The Sabrent was on sale for $288 and the EX950 was around $350.

Last edited:
All of the issues I mentioned above with the Sabrent 2TB were immediately resolved with the EX950 2TB drive. For the time I wasted on troubleshooting issues that I was not sure were related to the lack of 512e, I could have bought several EX950's. Hopefully you guys have better luck.

Can someone with the Inland verify if this is native 4k or or 4K with 512e support?

If you are on windows you can run this command (replace c with whatever your drive name is):
Fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

If Linux is your flavor (change nvme0n1 to your drive signature):
cat /sys/block/nvme0n1/queue/{hw_sector,logical_block}_size

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Fleat
like this
Is the firmware upgradable on ones we already have? I picked up one of the 512GB ones also and the performance isn't great. I'm wondering if a firmware update would help.

New batch from Microcenter have 12.2 firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back